PDA

View Full Version : What are you shooting today ?

onelight
03-25-2021, 09:46 AM
Packing things up for today's range time , gonna bring the LabRadar and check some 44 special and some 45 auto. Loads .
Threw in the lcpii cause I gotta bring a 22 :)

memtb
03-25-2021, 10:37 AM
Nutt’n! :groner: Away from home. But, when I get back home, I’ll make that long 40 yard trip to the bench....for the rifles or the long range handguns. Or perhaps, shoot the short barrel handguns from the front porch. Decisions- Decisions! :bigsmyl2: memtb

tazman
03-25-2021, 10:57 AM
I've been feeling withdrawal symptoms for the last few days as I missed my usual range trip last week. Now all this talk of range trips and firearms is giving me the shakes.
I need to grab a couple and head to the range. Going to have to be short guns since we are going to have storms by the time I get there.

Earlwb
03-25-2021, 11:50 AM
I got the urge to go to the range too. But not today, as it has been raining a lot since last night. I hate to squish through all the mud to setup targets, etc at the range. But likely it would be with some 22 rimfires though. With the ammo shortages and high costs for ammo, it is hard to go and shoot something centerfire right now.

rintinglen
03-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Raining again today, so I'll pass, but tomorrow I have some 357 Sig Loads to try, some 32 and 327 fodder to burn up and a 9mm that needs some trigger time.
Hopefully the weather will lighten up.

MrWolf
03-25-2021, 12:34 PM
Just spread top soil and grass seed other day on it. Just came in from moving the sprinkler. Was planning on more rain but for once they changed the forecast to nicer weather. Trying to knock down dust in the house as that was the last open area. Yea, walk out backdoor to the pistol range. Still have to frame, insulate, etc. inside portion then I can get started on the rifle range. Some day I keep saying. Got some kind of stomach bug with nasty gas pains, headaches, etc that is going around. Give me 24 hours and it will be gone. Not gonna tell you where I am typing this from :groner:
Ron

onelight
03-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Nutt’n! :groner: Away from home. But, when I get back home, I’ll make that long 40 yard trip to the bench....for the rifles or the long range handguns. Or perhaps, shoot the short barrel handguns from the front porch. Decisions- Decisions! :bigsmyl2: memtb
Ha next thing we know you'll be telling us you have your reloading gear on the porch and you don't have to git up to test new loads or NAP :Fire::Fire: your just plumb mean to us city boys :)

mack1
03-25-2021, 04:28 PM
Packing things up for today's range time , gonna bring the LabRadar and check some 44 special and some 45 auto. Loads .
Threw in the lcpii cause I gotta bring a 22 :)
How do you like the LabRadar, I like the idea if it works as advertised?

memtb
03-25-2021, 05:14 PM
Ha next thing we know you'll be telling us you have your reloading gear on the porch and you don't have to git up to test new loads or NAP :Fire::Fire: your just plumb mean to us city boys :)

Not quite.....I have to travel all the way down into the basement! It’s a long trip, but.....sometimes you just have to make compromises! ;-)

It should ease the pain knowing that I don’t have a LabRadar.....just the old fashion kind! :wink: memtb

onelight
03-25-2021, 05:19 PM
Not quite.....I have to travel all the way down into the basement! It’s a long trip, but.....sometimes you just have to make compromises! ;-) memtb
:violin::violin::violin::violin::violin::violin::v iolin::violin:

onelight
03-25-2021, 05:27 PM
How do you like the LabRadar, I like the idea if it works as advertised?

I got it because most of the time I shoot at an indoor range , it works great inside :) have not tried it outdoors yet.
If a guy has a private place to shoot I would say it's to expensive other good choices for a lot less . But if you shoot on public ranges it is a great way to go . Has a bit of a learning curve but if you use it often and follow the directions it works great .

mack1
03-25-2021, 05:43 PM
I got it because most of the time I shoot at an indoor range , it works great inside :) have not tried it outdoors yet.
If a guy has a private place to shoot I would say it's to expensive other good choices for a lot less . But if you shoot on public ranges it is a great way to go . Has a bit of a learning curve but if you use it often and follow the directions it works great .
Thanks, I interested in finding accurate bc numbers. If it will show velocity at multiple ranges it may be worth the cost.

charlie b
03-28-2021, 08:25 AM
I've used mine for a few months now. I have had regular chronos over the years and like this one a lot better. I can change target areas without having to get up from the bench or walk in front of the firing line. I can also shoot in early morning (std chronos don't like all the stray light) or on cloudy days.

If you want to use it standing then it needs to be on a tripod. On windy days you might have problems with it blowing over unless you secure the tripod somehow.

It does have to be 'aimed' correctly and it will 'miss' a shot every now and then (1 out of 40 shots maybe). It has a fairly narrow 'cone' that it measures. Gives consistent results.

It measures velocity out to 75yd on a fairly regular basis with .30cal bullets. The .223 bullets sometimes only 50yd. Max is 100yd.

Some people have problems with them. I have not, but, we have a pretty open range with not much to reflect the radar beam.

hc18flyer
03-28-2021, 09:05 AM
My Grandson needs to re-sight his .204 Ruger and I will take my Handi in .223 to work off the bench. I also just received a 15-5 S& W in .38 Special that will be really dirty before we are done! hc18flyer ��

hc18flyer
03-28-2021, 02:06 PM
Happiness is a dirty revolver! We shot 200 rounds thru the S & W model # 15. First we adjusted the sights, then started work on the plate rack! My Grandson liked breaking bluerocks, and finished the am with a shaken can of Dr Pepper! He may have to learn to reload his own ammo! It was a GREAT MORNING for both of us!
hc18flyer

stubshaft
03-29-2021, 12:11 AM
Went with my Air Lite 325PD and Steyr M-40 gen 1.

onelight
03-29-2021, 12:14 AM
Stubshaft what do you think of your Steyr ?

stubshaft
03-29-2021, 04:54 PM
Stubshaft what do you think of your Steyr ?

I LOVE IT! The bore is closer to the hand, Gen 1's actually also have an integral safety, it fits my hand well and it is accurate. I put a set of Talon style grips on it and it is good to go. I have used it for EDC with a pancake holster and find it comfortable and easily packed. Plus it holds 12+1 .40 S&W.

The trapezoidal sights are unique and some do not like them but I love them as they seem to draw my eye right to the tip of the front sight.

onelight
03-30-2021, 12:29 AM
stubshaft I have looked at those several times and been very tempted . Don't post anything else good about it , I have to many nines already :)
I would like to try those sights but my eyes are getting bad enough I fear I won't be able to hold elevation with them.

FLINTNFIRE
03-30-2021, 12:38 AM
Just a Uberti 50-95 loaded with black powder , and a Pedersoli Sharps 40-90ss also loaded with black , poor rock .

Cosmic_Charlie
03-30-2021, 09:11 AM
Shot my 6.5" Model 24 yesterday. Put them right in there like it does. 210 powder coated boolit over 8 grains of HS 6.

Texas by God
03-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Yesterday evening I found out that my M10 4" .38 Special likes the 150gr Lee SWC over 4 grs of AA#2- hits right in the middle.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Pb&j
03-30-2021, 07:10 PM
This was Saturdays fun. Was worried how I would make out with the 500 but with practice all went fantastic. Bought this thing thinking I wouldn't shoot it much, then I realized they love cast boolits. Away we go!

Idaho45guy
03-30-2021, 08:23 PM
Put the red dot back on my Glock G19 and grabbed a load that I put together using RMR 147gr bullets and 3.5 grains of TiteGroup.

Red dot sighted in, but the Glock did not like that recipe at all...

rintinglen
03-31-2021, 09:49 AM
Today I'm giving the SIG 229 a ride with the 357 SIG barrel and also the Browning 1955. I may also run some rounds through my Ruger Service Six.

JoeJames
03-31-2021, 10:01 AM
I have been shooting my own pistol loads for a pretty good spell. But I wrung out my Ruger 77-22, and tried different brands of 22 shells. Still amazing to me how much difference there is. I am attaching 3 targets although I tested many other brands: all at 25 yards off a Varminter rest, and using a scope. Win Super X which I thought would be good, then Rem. Golden Bullets which I did not expect to be very accurate, and CCI Target which stunned me. BTW I also tried CCI Mini-mags and that was not good at all. BTW the target with Rem GB's was the last shot with them after scope adjustment. I figured I would use the GB's around my place and wanted them spot on. At first I could not find many GB's around the house, but I found I do have an adequate supply, whew!

Idaho45guy
03-31-2021, 04:08 PM
I have been shooting my own pistol loads for a pretty good spell. But I wrung out my Ruger 77-22, and tried different brands of 22 shells. Still amazing to me how much difference there is. I am attaching 3 targets although I tested many other brands: all at 25 yards off a Varminter rest, and using a scope. Win Super X which I thought would be good, then Rem. Golden Bullets which I did not expect to be very accurate, and CCI Target which stunned me. BTW I also tried CCI Mini-mags and that was not good at all. BTW the target with Rem GB's was the last shot with them after scope adjustment. I figured I would use the GB's around my place and wanted them spot on. At first I could not find many GB's around the house, but I found I do have an adequate supply, whew!

Ironic...

I sighted in my Ruger 10/22 yesterday and tried to figure out what ammo it liked.

At 25 yards, it liked the CCI Stingers, and at 55 yards, it liked the CCI Mini-Mags.

I also shot my Uberti Silver Boy and it HATED the Stingers but loved the Mini-Mags.

JoeJames
03-31-2021, 07:22 PM
That’s the way of it. Mini-Mags were dead last with the 77-22. And, I had figured REM. GB’s would be. Never can tell.

uscra112
03-31-2021, 08:33 PM
What am I shooting today? Raccoons. They've already ripped up another screen door because they smell the cats' food inside, and it's not even April yet.

uscra112
03-31-2021, 08:37 PM
But to get back on topic, I fired another three rounds from the Stevens 44-1/2 I'm building in .28-30-120. Fussing with the firing pin nose shape.

Idaho45guy
03-31-2021, 10:21 PM
Put the red dot back on my Glock G19 and grabbed a load that I put together using RMR 147gr bullets and 3.5 grains of TiteGroup.

Red dot sighted in, but the Glock did not like that recipe at all...

Today, tried the same recipe in my carry pistol, a Sig P365 with night sights. It was a stark contrast in how bad my eyes are with open sights compared to using the red dot. Plus, the best group the Glock gets is an inch at 25 yards. The best the Sig gets is 2" at 25 yards.

With this load, it got 7"...

Idaho45guy
04-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Decided to try out my new range set-up at a nearby gravel pit. Bought a folding table, a folding chair, bag rests, target stands, then bought a bunch of paper plates and bright 3/4" sticker dots. Cut up the cardboard from the table box and was ready to go.

Set up at 25 yards in a stiff breeze.

It worked, but was not ideal. Heights were good and cheap targets were fine, but the table was not stable and the top was so slick that if it was just bit off level, guns and ammo boxes would slide off.

Fired my old match pistol, a Glock G35 in .40 S&W. Best groups I could get with it have been 1.5", using 180gr XTPs and Win 231. I just can't get any of my RMR bullets to group well in any pistol I've tried them in. It's weird. Still, 2.5" at 25 yards with a shaky table and the wind moving the target is not too bad.

robertbank
04-13-2021, 03:14 PM
I have been playing with my Black Powder revolvers lately but will be out tomorrow with my GP-100, 686 No Dash to burn off some 38spl and .357mag rounds. I need to get my PPQ and M&P Pro in action so they will get driven towards the end of the week.

Take Care

Bob

onelight
04-13-2021, 03:22 PM
Decided to try out my new range set-up at a nearby gravel pit. Bought a folding table, a folding chair, bag rests, target stands, then bought a bunch of paper plates and bright 3/4" sticker dots. Cut up the cardboard from the table box and was ready to go.

Set up at 25 yards in a stiff breeze.

It worked, but was not ideal. Heights were good and cheap targets were fine, but the table was not stable and the top was so slick that if it was just bit off level, guns and ammo boxes would slide off.

Fired my old match pistol, a Glock G35 in .40 S&W. Best groups I could get with it have been 1.5", using 180gr XTPs and Win 231. I just can't get any of my RMR bullets to group well in any pistol I've tried them in. It's weird. Still, 2.5" at 25 yards with a shaky table and the wind moving the target is not too bad.

That would be excellent for me :)