PDA

View Full Version : The correct seating stem for the boolit

elginrunner
03-24-2021, 09:04 PM
I don't remember who it was on here that posted that a fellow could send RCBS a sample of three boolits, and they would custom make you a seating stem. Well whomever it was THANK YOU SIR! I was having problems with my .40 cal seating and the boolit getting cocked to one side ever so slightly and shaving a smidgen of lead (or powder coat). I know most wouldn't bother but it rankled me to no end..... I contacted rcbs, got the shipping info, and off it went. It took about a month but I got my seating stem back today. My sample boolit was a NOE 175 gr round nose. I just got in from loading about 100, and not a single one had a shaved side. I'm tickled pink! :happy dance:

https://i.postimg.cc/JhFzBSVJ/photo-2021-03-24-19-40-41.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

BC17A
03-24-2021, 09:45 PM
Nothing beats fine tuning your reloading process. What did they charge to make the stem?

elginrunner
03-24-2021, 10:29 PM
Looks like it was $28.61 all done.... which is reasonable to me for getting perfectly seated boolits. Those small bits of shaved lead on the case mouth really sent me up the wall...

onelight
03-25-2021, 04:20 AM
That is sure nice RCBS offers custom seating stems , that is good customer service.

fastdadio
03-25-2021, 06:02 AM
I filled all my seating stem pockets with a hard epoxy. Never looked back.

fredj338
03-25-2021, 02:37 PM
For almost free you can use JB weld & make your own custom seating plugs. Works great for LHP.

elginrunner
03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
I thought about epoxy, and the like after the tin foil trick didn't work too well... Then I could envision seizing my plug in my seating die.... and replacements are too expensive, and hard to find!! :(

ranger391xt
04-10-2021, 12:12 PM
I filled all my seating stem pockets with a hard epoxy. Never looked back.fastdadio- are you saying you fill them so they are flat? I was thinking this could work well flat point or TC boolits and thier HP variants. How does that affect seating round nose boolits?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Conditor22
04-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Good information for the masses.

I've always used hot melt glue - never mars, quick to do and lasts a long time.

paul edward
04-10-2021, 05:06 PM
I thought about epoxy, and the like after the tin foil trick didn't work too well... Then I could envision seizing my plug in my seating die.... and replacements are too expensive, and hard to find!! :(

To prevent seizing the plug in a seating die, use a mold release. I have used J&J paste wax as a mold release to customize seating stems so they do not mar the bullets. You will want to use a quick curing epoxy that remains somewhat flexible on curing.