PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Gun Shop Observations

Gray Fox
03-24-2021, 07:55 PM
Went up to a major city in the North GA foothills today to make a gun deal. On the way back we saw a gun shop and the wife suggested I stop and see what they had. They had what looked like a coulple Sako rifles on the wall and a few 4" model 10 Smith square butts for $600, but the real thriller was some of the very little ammo they had. Small plastic bags with around 20 or 25 rounds of loose brass cased .357 Mag with very ancient looking 158 grain HPs (according to the bag), with a price tag of $60.00 on the few bags they had.

Almost home in southern Hotlanta I stopped at a gun shop I visit occasionally to talk to the honest to God gunsmith who works there. I told him my tale, and he responded that they sell for $50.00 in the shop he works in. He said they have a supplier (unidentified) that ships them pistol ammo in 1,000 round quantities and they bag it up and slap printed lables on them. He suggested that if I wanted to make a bunch of cash I had about three weeks before everyone has spent their lastest stimulous checks so I should find any gun show in the area during that time and bust up a few boxes of ammo, especially .357 mag, bag it up and put anywhere from $60-75 per bag on 20-25 rounds and he guaranteed I'd sell whatever I had available by mid-morning. This situation is getting nuttier by the week. I think I will hold on to what I have for dear life. I might just need it, who knows? Gray Fox

FLINTNFIRE
03-24-2021, 08:13 PM
Well when I purchased a 9mm the other day I was asked if I wanted some ammo as they will sell some with purchase , I asked how much 18 dollars for a box , I declined as I said you know I make my own and do not buy , though we both know I could have walked outside and doubled my money , some things men should not do if they are men right is right and foul is foul . This situation is worse as people mark stuff up and as panic begets panic it will stay this way or get worse with who am I joe and co.

I will hold on to what I have except for what I share with family and friends .

gbrown
03-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I've seen the same at LGS and gun shows. Prices unbelievable, but , still lots of takers. People seem to be desperate, all I can say. I don't need to worry, I have enough to last, for my needs.

JRLesan
03-25-2021, 06:37 AM
Different perspective: suppose you're not a shooter and just a gun owner. Twenty five bucks for a few rounds is a one time purchase and those few rounds might last a life time. So, bottom line is perhaps a one time twenty five dollar (or whatever) purchase is no big deal. Multiply that number of rounds by the several million new gun owners every year...

bedbugbilly
03-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Yea the prices are ridiculous but ammo is no different than any other commodity. If people are standing in bread lines to buy bread (and don't laugh, it could very easily happen in this country under the present "uondiditonns"), you'd find people spending what they used to spend to buy a loaf for a single slice.

What bothers me even more though, are those (and they are out there) that are shooting up their supply of store bought ammo or using up their components as if there is a guarantee that the shortage will end. I'l try to explain this with a "tale" so please bear with me.

There were two little piglets . . . brothers . . . let's call them John and Joe. Both planted gardens. John planted his garden and took good care of it, raised an abundant crop of vegetables and spent time canning what he didn't eat so he would have it later. Joe though, lived life like it was always going to be wonderful. He planted his garden, ate what grew and was satisfied when his stomach was full. Winter came though and it was a hard one. John, who had planned ahead, had sufficient canned vegetables to get him through the winter. Joe though, did not and from that day on, he depended on the government to give him what he needed. Moral of the story as related to ammo and components? Simple . . . don't use everything up when down the road, you might dearly need them.

I'll let you think about that and come to your own conclusions on how to manage your "supplies".

Duckiller
03-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Heard of someone paying $149.00 for a box of 40 S&W. Only rational explanation is that he had no ammo and needed some. New gun buyers and casual shooters that shoot up all of their ammo and have to buy ammo will pay a lot to have a few rounds in the house.

lightman
03-25-2021, 01:49 PM
The panic would be over sooner if people would quit paying panic prices. And yeah, I understand the situation that a new gun owner who is not a shooter is in.

M-Tecs
03-25-2021, 01:59 PM
Short term greed will kill a lot of business's. At some point this will be over and the long term customers will remember how they were treated.