PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Perspective on reloading supplies

Rooster931
03-24-2021, 11:16 AM
Not really going to increase anyone's intellect here, however I thought I would share a quick story that happened today.
I was speaking with a co-worker, who on occasion shoots trap. I shoot way more frequently than this person and while we were talking, another person who I also know shoots frequently entered the conversation. As the conversation continued the topic of primers came up and the first individual stated "I have a TON of primers". So I asked "are they for sale and what is a TON". To which he replied I think "I have one of those square boxes of 10 packs". Which we all know is 1000 primers.
I think during these trying times of reloading supplies more of these conversations have happened. Just funny from my perspective and the amount I shoot I would panic if I only had 1000 209's and he thinks it a ton.
Any of you guys have similar interactions lately?

Der Gebirgsjager
03-24-2021, 11:22 AM
You know, it's just all in what kind of shooting you do, and how often. A competitive pistol or SASS shooter might use them up in a week. A deer hunter who shoots 5 or 10 rounds each fall to confirm his zero, and uses one for the deer might take a lifetime to use them.

DG

Hodagtrapper
03-24-2021, 11:32 AM
Perspective is a different reality for all of us.

Chris

FISH4BUGS
03-24-2021, 11:42 AM
.....or if you shoot full auto, 1000 primers doesn't even cover one range session.

Bazoo
03-24-2021, 11:44 AM
My buddy figures he has a bunch of 270 ammo cause he has 6 boxes. Another figures that 4 bricks of 22 is a lot, I lucked into some 22s yesterday.

Elmer Fudd
03-24-2021, 11:54 AM
I recently saw the happiest look on a young guy's face as he proudly stood in the check-out line with a 50-box of 9mm FMJ. My perspective is a lot closer to FISH4BUGS' than this young buck with his month's stash of 9. But when I first got started, a semi-auto was out of reach, let alone shooting up 30 cal ammo cans full of 9 or 223 in an afternoon. Someday I will be able to overheat a minigun and laugh about how we used to keep our bolt action barrels cool to the touch to keep peak accuracy in the barrel longer. Perspective.
Like how Matthew, Mark and Luke all tell different versions of the same story, the same event but from different perspectives with different details.

Burnt Fingers
03-24-2021, 01:59 PM
A few years back I was at Cabela's picking up some more S&B primers. I bought five bricks, a case. There was another guy at the counter getting primers at the same time. We were both buying small pistol primers.

He asked me why I was buying so many primers. I told him that a case of primers was about two months worth of shooting for me. He looked at me and said "you must be a bad shot to shoot so much".

You can't fix stupid.

He was buying a single flat of primers.

FLINTNFIRE
03-24-2021, 11:08 PM
Or he was just a natural , and a excellent shot no practice needed , or his shooting was just casual , where some shoot competition , others shoot for enjoyment , practice , load development or varmints what have you , a guy told me he had a bunch of primers , his bunch was 1000 , my idea of a bunch is a lot higher .

Does not make him stupid just a different perception or need .

Never have enough if it is no longer available , price on most things does not go lower , stock up in times of plenty to last hopefully it comes back again without being out of sight on price .

375supermag
03-25-2021, 11:15 AM
It really is simply a matter of perspective.
I normally buy primers in increments of 5-10,000. I buy locally to avoid hazmat fees.
Right now I can only buy 2-300 primers at a time and most shops locally have exactly zero primers to sell.
I am getting pretty deep into my emergency reserve of primers and powder and will have to drastically cut back on my handgun shooting if supplies of primers don't improve by mid summer.
My son and I typically shoot well in excess of 2000 rounds per month.
So far cast lead bullets haven't been a problem and I have adequate powder supplies for some time to come but primers are becoming a serious concern.

Kraschenbirn
03-25-2021, 01:10 PM
Had a former customer from my consulting days call about 10 days ago, looking for help finding bullets for his Les Baer .45 (he does reload but mostly for shotgun). I offered him some of my H&G clone SWCs but he wanted either jacketed or plated so I went online, shopped around for a few minutes, and found some plated in stock at Champion. A few days later, I saw him at the lumber yard and asked if he'd gotten in an order and he said "yeah, but I had to buy 500 'cause that was the smallest box they had." When I inquired how he was fixed for primers he answered that he had enough to load what he'd ordered and those "should be enough for a year or so." Guess that it really is all in your point of view.

Bill

Bull-Moose
03-25-2021, 02:13 PM
Its all about one person's needs and shooting style.

Scrounge
03-25-2021, 02:26 PM
A few years back I was at Cabela's picking up some more S&B primers. I bought five bricks, a case. There was another guy at the counter getting primers at the same time. We were both buying small pistol primers.

He asked me why I was buying so many primers. I told him that a case of primers was about two months worth of shooting for me. He looked at me and said "you must be a bad shot to shoot so much".

You can't fix stupid.

He was buying a single flat of primers.

Last time I bought SPP all I bought was a flat of 100. That was all they would let me buy. I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but I'm pretty sure I can go through a whole flat in one session. Several times. [8-)

kevin c
03-28-2021, 03:33 AM
Shooting 20 to 40 thousand rounds a year in practice and matches is common in the action pistol sports, so ordering primers in multiple sleeves of 5,000 is the norm. Bullets and cases are also ordered in the same orders of magnitude, and powders are in 4# to 8# jobs, not singles.

Many planned ahead, but the triple whammy of elections, pandemic and civil unrest has made things hard for those who didn't plan for the beyond-the-worse-case-scenario. I'm seeing fewer people coming to the range to practice; folks are trying to stretch their reserves of components and ammo.

Land Owner
03-28-2021, 04:52 AM
I'm seeing fewer people coming to the range to practice...

Some of us are shooting, and shooting a lot, in places other than the Public Range...

dverna
03-28-2021, 08:28 AM
I remember having to buy primers in single packs....it was a long time ago.

Poor people cannot afford to stock up...I was there...once.

waksupi
03-29-2021, 12:55 PM
I saw quite a few primers for sale at outrageous prices at the gun show this weekend. Plenty of powder, cases, and loaded ammo. Something I noticed, I think I saw more women walking out with new guns and ammo than men.
If I was down to a thousand primers, I would consider myself "out". Same with the guys who say, I have 50 pounds of lead, I have plenty.

Carrier
03-29-2021, 01:07 PM
I would be “that guy” that the media talks about if they ever saw my supplies.

shooterg
03-29-2021, 04:44 PM

I feel ya ! And I'll still buy more if/when the prices come down to double what I paid for inventory !

reddog81
03-29-2021, 05:35 PM
I had a co-worker who shot occasionally mention that his grandfather had a ton of lead when he passed. Turns out a "ton" of lead was somewhere about enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket... I gave him crap, explained that a ton weighs 2,000 lbs and told that my garage floor knows what a ton of lead feels like.

gbrown
03-29-2021, 09:59 PM
I had a co-worker who shot occasionally mention that his grandfather had a ton of lead when he passed. Turns out a "ton" of lead was somewhere about enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket... I gave him crap, explained that a ton weighs 2,000 lbs and told that my garage floor knows what a ton of lead feels like.
Yep, understood that. I got enough, all I will say.

Burnt Fingers
03-31-2021, 10:55 AM

That would be me on a range trip.

10K rounds of ammo, normally around a dozen firearms.

truckerdave397
03-31-2021, 11:26 AM
Not really going to increase anyone's intellect here, however I thought I would share a quick story that happened today.
I was speaking with a co-worker, who on occasion shoots trap. I shoot way more frequently than this person and while we were talking, another person who I also know shoots frequently entered the conversation. As the conversation continued the topic of primers came up and the first individual stated "I have a TON of primers". So I asked "are they for sale and what is a TON". To which he replied I think "I have one of those square boxes of 10 packs". Which we all know is 1000 primers.
I think during these trying times of reloading supplies more of these conversations have happened. Just funny from my perspective and the amount I shoot I would panic if I only had 1000 209's and he thinks it a ton.
Any of you guys have similar interactions lately?
Just a thought, maybe he thinks that they way two pounds each.

RogerDat
03-31-2021, 11:55 AM
It is a matter of perspective. I load more brass than shot shell so prime supplies reflect that. I do like to have a "balanced" approach to my investment because that is what it is, and investment. I'm putting my money into supplies I anticipate wanting in the future. Meanwhile they sit unused but I sit comfortable in my ability to shoot in the future (if that is a week or a year or years from now) Another person might well consider having the money on hand for other purposes to matter more than having a pile of components or lead.

My problem is the more lead I scrounge the more powder and primers I need to "balance" out the portfolio. I also tend to try and buy when folks are selling and sell a bit when folks are buying. Get good value that way. Prices may drop to a more reasonable normal but over time prices don't get tend to get lower. I will buy some items when things settle down as I hope and anticipate them doing. Pandemic is on the way out as a market motivator, election is over, now all we have to worry about is stupid laws getting passed or even introduced. Panic buying doesn't wait a bill to pass before starting to get going.

alamogunr
03-31-2021, 01:19 PM
I remember having to buy primers in single packs....it was a long time ago.

Poor people cannot afford to stock up...I was there...once.

I'm happy to say that I was there once too. As I get older, I don't shoot as much so the supplies I have will probably outlast me. Meanwhile, I try to keep sons and grandsons supplied. Although they are young, they have busy lives and don't get to shoot much either.

RogerDat
03-31-2021, 01:51 PM
I'm happy to say that I was there once too. As I get older, I don't shoot as much so the supplies I have will probably outlast me. Meanwhile, I try to keep sons and grandsons supplied. Although they are young, they have busy lives and don't get to shoot much either.

Ah yes. If age could, if youth would :-)
Not sure if any or who in my family may keep up with reloading or if no one will. As long as I die with some supplies still left it means I didn't run out so that is good enough for me.