PDA

View Full Version : reloading for Winchester Model 1886 40-65

timber_cruiser
03-23-2021, 04:32 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice or suggestions on reloading for my Winchester model 1886 40-65. This was my grandfather's rifle that he got when he returned from service during WW1. My father gave it to me shortly before he passed away. We both reloaded for this rifle using Accurate 5744 powder and cast bullets.

I have not shot the rifle in a while, and I recently realized that I am low on shells. I have plenty of brass, cast bullets, but not much powder. I have just a small amount of Accurate 5744 powder left, and I can't find anything in the sporting good stores.

However, Dad did leave me some old powder including Unique and Pyrodex. Originally I was thinking Pyrodex might be a substitute since this was originally a black powder cartridge. Now I am thinking that the Unique powder might be a better choice.

I have 260, 270, and 275 gr cast FP bullets. Can anyone point me towards reloading data for this cartridge using Unique?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Wayne Smith
03-24-2021, 08:43 AM
1) post your location more specifically, you appear to be a novice and need a mentor. One of us may be close.
2) Get the Lyman Cast Bullet book and the Lyman 50th Reloading manual. They will tell you all you need to know and provide safe load data.
3) the current panic will go away, and supplies of powder will re-appear. Don't jury rig - wait until you have the proper ingredients to do it right.
4) Always use published load data that is pressure tested. There should be no guessing in this pursuit. Unless your Dad and Grandfather specifically taught you, and apparently they did not, you need to learn on your own or with a mentor. I am something of an expert at loading, neither of my sons were interested and did not learn. When they inherit some of my guns they will be in the same boat you are. Hopefully they will take it seriously and you apparently are.