PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bottom Pour Pot Stops Flowing

Jim22
03-23-2021, 03:29 PM
My Lee bottom pour 10 lb pot has stopped - or nearly so - flowing. The molten metal comes out so slow I don't get good boolits. Yesterday I drained the pot and tried to clean the nozzle. The part that closes off the nozzle was grungy so I cleaned it up. I tried some small, thin awls to poke into the nozzle. Still pours slow. I think I caused the problem by draining the pot and changing to a different alloy a few times. I think that allowed some of the crap that normally floats on the top of the lead to get into the nozzle. Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you have a fix?

Targa
03-23-2021, 03:49 PM
Give a butane torch a try and heat that nozzle up.

JoeJames
03-23-2021, 03:56 PM
I gave up on mine. Couldn’t dynamite it open. So switched, took out the valve assembly, and been happily using it as a melter with a ladle. Pressure pours are great! Suits me much better. But I am a standard issue hillbilly.

onelight
03-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Yup I learned when the lead gets about an inch from the bottom I pour the rest over the side into an ingot mold.
You can take a small drill bit and work it buy hand gently from each side and clear the nasty out of the spout .
I have also had luck getting the pot full and really hot fluxing good with wax and run a steady stream out the spout and it may slowly melt and rinse the junk out . And as was mentioned I have used a propane torch on it .
45 years of casting you wind up trying everything at some point :) don't give up you can get it cleared . ( don't break a drill bit in it )

Mike W1
03-23-2021, 04:18 PM
I suspect that if you run a small piece of wire in there while holding the handle open you'll probably get the flow going. Kind of work it around in there and the flow should improve. BTW hold the wire with a plier not your fingers. I've made little tools with handles that make the chore easy. Also try hitting the orifice with some beeswax which it'll kind of suck into there.

Jim22
03-23-2021, 05:05 PM
Thank you all. Those are some good ideas. I have it heating right now. Gonna try the wire trick and the propane torch. Maybe both at once.

Jniedbalski
03-23-2021, 05:38 PM
A drill bit turned by hand or a paper clip or wire held with a needle nose pliers bent to a l shape works good.I leave the pot with lead in it hot ready to poure. Lift the valve handle up some and clean the spout out.

JoeJames
03-23-2021, 05:39 PM
Don’t try a small drill bit, often they break and are entombed. Don’t ask how I know that.

Handloader109
03-23-2021, 06:04 PM
One thing I do is that every time I cut off the pot is to crank down the nozzle shutoff. and open it wide when it gets hot. I usually flux with wax when I add lead and I scrape around when I have ti hot. Also, don't put impure lead in the pot. has to be good lead or it will sto pool up on you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

imashooter2
03-23-2021, 06:26 PM
My tool is a paper clip lashed to a dowel. Put a pan or ingot mold under it. Crank the thermostat up and get it hot. Really hot. When the pot is at heat, hold the valve open and run the clip in and wiggle. When the lead starts to flow, remove the clip and let a good half a pound flow into the catch basin. That usually does the trick.

http://imashooter2.com/pictures/flowtool.jpg

onelight
03-23-2021, 06:53 PM
If they use wire utility locate flags in your area they are pretty stiff wire but will still take a bend .

frkelly74
03-23-2021, 06:56 PM
I have used a ring shank panel nail to clean the spout. It does not break as easily as a drill bit and will clean the spout. Hold on to it with some small vice grips so you don't get burned. The pot has to be hot to accomplish this.

popper
03-23-2021, 07:19 PM
Angled dental pick, just let it flow until flow is good. The pic will poke into and clear the nozzle.

Conditor22
03-23-2021, 07:35 PM
The colder the surrounding temperature the more likely the spout will freeze up (more common with Lee posts because their spouts are thinner than RCBS)

Not a pretty tool [OK it's UGLY] BUT it gets the job done keeping your hands away from the spout

https://i.imgur.com/dwEOWn5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x1e6BFy.jpg

Winger Ed.
03-23-2021, 07:43 PM
They all do that.
If it isn't hot enough, use the torch.
If its hot, but clogged--I hold a bent paper clip with pliers, poke it up in there, and wiggle it around.

Gundogx2
03-23-2021, 10:00 PM
They all do that.
If it isn't hot enough, use the torch.
If its hot, but clogged--I hold a bent paper clip with pliers, poke it up in there, and wiggle it around.

This is what I do
Hopefully I’ll have a new pot soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

country gent
03-23-2021, 10:10 PM
I use a torch tip cleaner off the appropriate size. Can be purchased at most welding supply shops

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-24-2021, 08:01 AM
I use the correct sized allen wrench on a hot pot nozzle.

Jim22
03-24-2021, 05:36 PM
I want to thank you all for the ideas. I got it unplugged using heat from a propane torch and an L-shaped dental pick. Took a few tries but it worked so I cast up some .32 cal. round nose boolits. I'm warming some LLA right now. Thanks again.

GregLaROCHE
03-24-2021, 05:51 PM
So far a paper clip has always worked for me. However, I am getting to the point of taking the pot apart and doing a thorough cleaning including lapping the contacts on the valve. I do like the handles I’ve seen for the paper clips and may consider making one myself.

Soundguy
03-24-2021, 05:55 PM
I use the leg from an old 1w resistor held in a pair of hemostats. Works great.

savagetactical
03-24-2021, 09:33 PM
I recently had this happen on my Lee Pot while melting some ingots from wheel weights I had purchased at an estate sale that were particularly dirty, and I ended up having to take the rod out to get a small plug of trash that had managed to get between the rod and the orifice of the valve.

It was an easy enough fix

robg
03-25-2021, 07:07 PM
after 10 years mine clogged up took the rod out cleaned the crud out then used some polish to lap the rod in its seat,works better than new now.

kevin c
04-11-2021, 02:07 PM
A paper clip and propane torch take care of most of my plugging problems.

The rest went away when I made sure to use only clean alloy.

Soundguy
04-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Yes never smelt or clean lead in your production pot

G. Freeman
04-11-2021, 03:58 PM
From Full Lead Taco's youtube video, put some candle wax on a spoon. Put that spoon under the bottom spout and allow the wax to melt into the spout.

I tried it and it worked. Didn't have to do any poking.