PDA

View Full Version : RV backup camera troubles

Idz
03-23-2021, 01:10 PM
I installed Haloview rear view cameras on our travel trailer powered by the clearance lights and everything worked fine powered from the RV battery. Then plugging into a Mercedes GLE350 the cameras were dead, but clearance lights worked fine. Plugged into a pickup truck and camera and lights were fine. Checked voltages at camera and they read required 12+ volts for both truck and MB. After much internet searching with no solution found I concluded MB was doing something screwy with the clearance light power so I jumpered direct battery to lights and cameras now work. Some more research revealed that Furrion camera make a special jumper cable to "bypass the vehicle computer". Apparently some new vehicles are 'smart' and mess up simple DC power circuits and are so clever a simple voltmeter can't spot the sabotaging signal on the line.

MaryB
03-23-2021, 02:06 PM
One wire data, common in many new cars and trucks. A simple capacitor filter is all you need to knock the data off the line.

Bull-Moose
03-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Good info to know. Thanks!

Mk42gunner
03-23-2021, 08:23 PM
One wire data, common in many new cars and trucks. A simple capacitor filter is all you need to knock the data off the line.
It has been years since I really did anything with electronics; but this sounds as simple as when we used to hook a condenser to the coil to filter out ignition noise on AM radios, right?

Robert

metricmonkeywrench
03-23-2021, 08:30 PM
Another thought is the amps, the clearance lights may be LED, but there’s enough amps oomph for lights but not enough for the BU Cam. I kinda had the same issue with my dash cam. Worked fine with the supplied usb power cord (10a) but would not run off the built in outlet (5a)

MaryB
03-24-2021, 02:02 PM
It has been years since I really did anything with electronics; but this sounds as simple as when we used to hook a condenser to the coil to filter out ignition noise on AM radios, right?

Robert

Very similar! Need to size the capacitors to match the data frequency. I have the advantage of an oscilloscope to look at what is there and measure the frequency.

10-x
03-24-2021, 05:54 PM
Had a wireless one installed on my Hurricane, have to have marker lights on to work, thinking of having wire run from under dash to camera via switch for power instead of marker lights. Wireless is not as clear as original, had a CRT screen!