PDA

View Full Version : A matter of faith

augercreek
03-23-2021, 06:28 AM
As Jesus said if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you can say to a mountain jump into the sea. Also he said in faith ask God for what ever and it will be given to you. Now here's my question, I've asked for healing for some one and it doesn't happen ! Does that mean my faith is lacking? Oh one could say it wasn't Gods will. What then becomes of ask for anything in faith? I've struggled with this for years so I thought I'd ask.

rancher1913
03-23-2021, 06:58 AM
I have found that I can ask/pray for anything I want, but you get what you need, not what you want, and sometimes what you need is nowhere near what you wanted.

sharps4590
03-23-2021, 07:08 AM
Well said rancher. God does answer all prayer. Sometimes He says yes, sometimes He says wait and sometimes He says no. Paul asked for his affliction to be removed. God's response? "My grace is sufficient for you." Did Paul lack faith? Jesus asked that the burden of death on the cross be lifted from Him..."but nevertheless, not my will, but Thine be done." Jesus personified faith and didn't receive His request. Jesus IS God and didn't receive His request.

I recently heard on BOTT radio a preacher I respect but will get him confused if I mention a name, who said, what we have to remember is prayer isn't about us, it's about God. I had to chew on that for a while but have come to agree with him. One thing I have put into action in my prayer life is "ACTS". Acclimation, Contrition, Thanksgiving and Supplication. For me, that keeps things in perspective. What I want comes last. The created doesn't outrank the Creator.

GhostHawk
03-23-2021, 09:05 AM
Augercreek we can ask, but if it runs contrary to God the Fathers plan you can guess what the answer will be.

I know that seems like thin soup but he see's all, including long term consequences.

"Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven" is what I add to the end of ALL my prayers.

THY will be done, not mine. You are the master, I will obey, follow, serve.

Like you I have a problem, I have a wife of 25 years that appears to be aging and deteriorating before my eyes. First it was spinal surgery and fusion. Now it is Neuropathy in her left thigh that is crippling her. Keeping her from recovering fully.

She has type II Diabetes but her numbers are very good, low 100's. Her doctor says she is a rock star.

And the Lord does not seem able, or willing to fix it. What will be will be. Hard to accept some days.

I was a bachelor till my mid 40's, really do not want to go back to those days.

But its in HIS hands not mine. Keep the faith brother.

BJK
03-23-2021, 09:18 AM
I'd need to go back and reread the context of the scripture and who HE was talking to or about. But it's the height of hubris to think that we are going to dictate to the ALMIGHTY what HE should or shouldn't do or even to think that we matter very much as individuals. We ask and HE will just do it? It doesn't work that way. If it did we'd all have homes on the coast and drive Lamborghinis.

Another reason that isn't reality is that HE has a plan and we simply don't know the intricacies of it.

It might work better if we ask something like this, "FATHER, if it be your will... ". And I always end up asking for FATHER to take the soul to his safe keeping if that is HIS decision. Or words to that effect.

Some things HE states that HE will do if it's asked for and it has nothing to do with material things. I'll finish by stating be careful what you ask for.

dverna
03-23-2021, 09:38 AM
I have never bought into "ask and you shall receive" camp.

I have stopped asking God/Jesus for results. I pray for strength and wisdom to see me through the bumps in the road. I also pray to thank Him for the blessings he as laid onto me.

wv109323
03-23-2021, 11:03 AM
If God answered every prayer the way it was asked, then no one would bury their parents, their child or even their pet. Miracles would not be miracles because they would be commonplace everyday events.
Part of God's plan is every man is appointed to death. God is merciful in allowing us to see the aging process.
As said Paul did not get the thorn in his flesh removed after asking three times. He could not heal Timothy when he was sick. Paul certainly had faith but he was to accept God's will over his desires.

1hole
03-23-2021, 11:48 AM
I understand that "move mountains" thing was an old Hebrew saying that means God can solve problems that seem huge to us; it isn't and wasn't meant to be literal.

Unlike God, we can't see the end from the beginning so we don't know if what we want may work towards good or bad. There was an old Jewish king who prayed for a longer life. It was granted to him and he fathered a foul son who became one of Israel's worst kings; everyone would have been better off if the old man had only accepted God's will as best. Jesus prayed that "this cup" of agony might pass him by but he ended up with, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done." I try to live that idea in my prayer life by telling God what I want for everyone but end up accepting that His plan is best for everyone.

Ickisrulz
03-23-2021, 12:10 PM
As Jesus said if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you can say to a mountain jump into the sea. Also he said in faith ask God for what ever and it will be given to you. Now here's my question, I've asked for healing for some one and it doesn't happen ! Does that mean my faith is lacking? Oh one could say it wasn't Gods will. What then becomes of ask for anything in faith? I've struggled with this for years so I thought I'd ask.

Context is key. There is just no where in scripture that promises anything and everything you pray for will be granted even if you have extraordinary faith. Additionally, human experience shows this to be true (especially among poorer Christians).

While the Bible records miracles, they are relatively few and far between. Overall, God does not interfere with human government, human decisions, accidents and the consequences of our day-to-day actions. That is not to say He is not there with us. He works by processes as He expects us to do. Do we need food and a place to live? We work so we can earn these things. Are we or our family members sick? We visit doctors. I know many think if they were in God's position they would make food miraculously appear in their followers' refrigerators and heal all illnesses. God does not think or act this way.

Char-Gar
03-23-2021, 12:16 PM

God always answers every prayer, with "yes", "no" or "not yet". God always seeks our highest and best good, but at times that conflicts with what we want. "However, not my will, but thine be done.".

.429&H110
03-23-2021, 01:29 PM
I am surprised so many here are unchurched.
Once upon a time America gathered for church.
Every Wednesday evening we gather for prayer.
We sing a hymn, a short Bible study
and a prayer chain,
a long list of concerns to bring to the Lord.
St. Paul taught "First pray for your country"

I am a Yankee, I write everything down
I am a skeptical Yankee, I keep score.
Like Thomas, I want to see for myself.
Long ago I was agape that prayers are answered.
Only God can change cause and effect.
Would you pray for a miracle?
Miracles have happened.
Would you recognize the miraculous
or call it co-incidence?
Keep the Faith.

.429&H110
03-23-2021, 01:33 PM
On the other paw, SWMBO has been praying every night for a change in leadership of America. No lightning, so far. They had better stay indoors, a Grandmother's prayers are powerful.

exile
03-23-2021, 02:22 PM
We (as individuals, as families, as a nation) matter so very much to the Father that He sent His Son to die on the cross for us, to provide a way for us to have a relationship with Him, now and in eternity.

It is that same all-encompassing love that restrains Him in his infinite wisdom from answering every prayer according to our will rather than His own.

What a disaster the world would be if God answered every prayer just as we wished He would.

exile

fixit
03-23-2021, 09:31 PM
30 years ago, I found myself arguing with God, which in and of itself is a fool's errand, but I wanted something that God was not allowing. I was at the point of demanding a blessing, but the blessing was withheld. God was silent until I was ready for his answer, which was to reenforce the reality that everything I have is more than I deserve.....every day is a blessing from God, and that includes the worst day of my life, whether past or present. Hell is mankind's only "deserved" end, and the fact that God made a way for us to come to Him through Jesus is the one matter of faith that keeps me moving forward, no matter how good or bad each day may be!

augercreek
03-24-2021, 06:40 AM
I thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me. Here is what I read this morning. I was reading Portals of Prayer this morning and for today's lesson written by Jan Brunette. This is from Job 40 1-7. God speaking to Job. Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding. Job could not answer and put his hand over his mouth and admit he had no right to question or continue.God is too great to question His will. This will settle it for me too.

sharps4590
03-24-2021, 07:31 AM
Good for you auger. I think everyone struggles with or has struggled with the same thing at one time or another, especially when were hurting, no matter the source of the hurt. I try, not always successfully, to remember what God told Paul, "My grace is sufficient". Eternally, it's so much more that I deserve.

GhostHawk
03-24-2021, 09:01 AM
Augercreek I am glad you have found your way through that. I know that can be a hard tangle to get through.
By the looks of this thread there are many you could reach out to if you need help. Including me.

dverna
03-24-2021, 09:19 AM
Yes...He made us...and He knows we will question and doubt. He is not angered by our questions. He knows that true faith is not found in those who never question...they are just plain stupid or brain washed.

Faith is not "science based". Faith requires believing what cannot be "scientifically proven". I have read a few book by those who profess to use science to prove God. I am an engineer and was an atheist for many decades so I wanted "proof". Those books are poorly written and easy to tear apart. My red flag goes up immediately if someone says they can prove God exists.

My "proof" comes from the Bible. I do not believe every word in the Bible as written/translated. I embrace the whole and let the parts that are questionable not infringe too much on the foundation that He has laid before us. That is where faith is needed. At least for me.

My path has not been direct but I know He lies at the end of it. He will guide me as I go down the rabbit holes.

sparky45
03-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Well stated Don!! I agree.

Rizzo
03-24-2021, 09:55 PM

The "problem" as I see it is that we read God's Word (The Bible) and believe what it says.
Why wouldn't we believe it? It's God's Word after all.
"Ask and you will receive" is one of those things.

I have gone over this is a previous thread titled "Ask and you will receive".

But, it's in the Bible....so it must be true!
It is not true.
The "context" in which "Ask and you will receive" comes from in the Bible is straight forward.
Jesus made that statement so it must be true,....right?

Yet , like others, including myself, you have experienced just that.
You did not receive.
I doubt that you heard a "No!" from God in your head either.

There is a lot of talk here in this thread...and the other one, where poster's justify this "not receiving" issue with all sorts of reasons.

"God gives us what we need...not what we think we need or asked for."
"God answers every prayer"
He does? How?
If you receive what you asked for then the answer must have been yes. But if you did not receive, you are probably still waiting for "it" since He said you "will receive".

Translation issue?
Jesus talking from a higher level of Conciousness?....and if we were in that conciousness level (meditation) we would receive what we asked for?
Possibly.

Someone mentioned that he takes the Bible as a whole and to paraphrase..."Don't sweat the small stuff that we do not understand".

Certainly, we can see from our life experiences that we do not always get what we prayed for.
Why is that, when God's Word says that we WILL receive?

Just another one of those annoying statements in the Bible that I do not believe.

augercreek
03-25-2021, 06:42 AM
Well Rizzo, you're entitled to you're opinion.

Newboy
03-25-2021, 07:17 AM
A key for this is in Psalms 37:4,5.

First, take our delight in the Lord: we become so close that our desires reflect His. Once we are praying God's desires in a situation, you can be sure that your prayer will be answered positively.

So, my first prayers in a situation that l feel involved in is to ask God to show me His will in the situation. Sometimes He doesn't. Sometimes He does, but only after some fasting.

Having God answer prayers is not a "formula" to ensure God does what you want; It is a walk with God that ensures that you pray for what He wants.

I have prayed for things a few times that were miracles, but only after I was positive of His will.