PDA

View Full Version : Double Chocolate Cocoa Coke-a-Cola , Blast from the Past , Cake

gwpercle
03-22-2021, 07:11 PM
This was a popular thing in the 1970's , my wife (Debbie) would make it for her "Pokeno" parties and I got to eat all the leftover cake ... still love it . The Coke gives it a unique flavor, a simple sheet cake that's easy to make ... and brings back fond memories .

Ingredients:
1 cup regular Coke-a-Cola (not diet or sugar free or caffiene free...real Coke)
1/2 cup cooking oil ( like Wesson Oil )
1 stick real Butter
3 Tbspns Hersey's Cocoa Powder
2 Cps. Sugar
2 cps. plain flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs @ room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients:
1 stick butter (softened)
2 1/2 Tbspns. cocoa powder
6 Tbspns. cream or milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Directions:
1. In a saucepan mix coke-a-cola , oil , butter and Herseys cocoa powder and bring to a boil . In a bowl combine sugar , flour and salt.
Pour the Cola mixture over the flour and beat well .
2. Add eggs , buttermilk , baking soda and vanilla and beat well . Pour mixture into a greased and floured 13 X 9 baking pan . Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 mins.
3. Frosting : In a saucepan combine butter , cocoa and milk . Heat untill the butter
melts . Beat in the remaining vanilla and confectioners sugar untill smooth .
4. Spread frosting on still warm cake . Let cool until frosting sets .

I didn't say this but a piece eaten while still warm ... it's pretty darn Awesome !
Gary & Debbie

LIMPINGJ
03-27-2021, 10:24 AM
Being in TX, we use Dr Pepper.

Conditor22
03-27-2021, 12:48 PM
You sir are an enabler!!! -- I should know better than to click on cake recipes [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b::groner:

gwpercle
03-27-2021, 08:54 PM
You sir are an enabler!!! -- I should know better than to click on cake recipes [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b::groner:

Sorry about that ... I only posted it so it wouldn't get forgotten in this day of Tofurkey , Keto , Low Fat , No salt , sugar free recipes ... I would hate to see a generation miss this good , easy to make treat ... Grandchildren would enjoy the heck out of eating a big square and they would have those memories forever . Pass the recipe down... it's your cake loving duty !
Gary

farmbif
03-27-2021, 09:07 PM
I gained 10lbs just reading this.

Garyshome
03-27-2021, 09:12 PM
I can NEVER have too many chocolate cake recepies:p

bluebird66
03-28-2021, 06:33 AM
I have to try this!

gwpercle
03-29-2021, 12:23 PM
What I really need around here is a like button ... this is the only way I know to do it ....

Post # 5 - farmbif ... LIKE !
Post # 6 - Garyshome ... LIKE !
Post # 7 - bluebird66 ... LIKE !

Gary
Bake Cake and Make Memories ... pass it on .

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2021, 04:14 AM
politics demand a switch to pepsi!!

762sultan
04-06-2021, 08:51 AM
I agree with GWPERCLE...we need a "like button"

William Yanda
04-06-2021, 08:55 AM
Cracker Barrel restaurants have it on their menu. Too bad Coke has gone woke. May have to substitute Jolt.

gwpercle
04-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Jolt Cola - Twice the sugar and twice the caffeine !!! I loved it , along with RC Cola ...
Royal Crown or Jolt would make suitable substitutes to Coke ... I was always a RC Cola fan because the bottles were larger than Coke's . Then Jolt came along ... Oh Yeah ...SWEET !
Gary

MaryB
04-07-2021, 12:53 PM
All of them are way to sweet, Coke isn't as sweet and I haven't found anything to replace it.

Pigboat
04-07-2021, 01:38 PM
I won't even hazard a guess at the number of these my wife made :cool:

gwpercle
04-07-2021, 02:34 PM
I won't even hazard a guess at the number of these my wife made :cool:

Tenn. girls can cook ! ... how long has it been ... time for a do-over ? ;-)
Gary

alamogunr
04-07-2021, 03:05 PM
I was just reading thru the latest "Tennessee Magazine" published by the electric co-ops and found this:

https://www.tnmagazine.org/cake-it-easy/

Not exactly the same but similar. I'm not a cook but I do try occasionally so this may go into the file and never see the light of day again in this household.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-07-2021, 03:11 PM
My Mom's 'secret' Chocolate cake recipe uses leftover coffee instead of water.

gwpercle
04-08-2021, 02:43 PM
I was just reading thru the latest "Tennessee Magazine" published by the electric co-ops and found this:

https://www.tnmagazine.org/cake-it-easy/

Not exactly the same but similar. I'm not a cook but I do try occasionally so this may go into the file and never see the light of day again in this household.

Thanks for the "Sheet Cake" Link there are 4 different recipes for sheet cakes , Cola , Chocolate Caramel , Peach and Caramel Apple ... I printed them all and going to try each and every one ...
My waist line may suffer from this ...but it's all in the name of good eating !
That Tenn. Magazine has some good recipes !
Thanks for Posting,
Gary

gwpercle
04-09-2021, 01:58 PM
My Mom's 'secret' Chocolate cake recipe uses leftover coffee instead of water.

Hitting our stupid Like Button .... LIKE ! :D
Gary