PDA

View Full Version : RCBS hand priming tool?

leadhead
03-22-2021, 03:56 PM
Anyone use the RCBS universal primer seater, and if so, how do you
like it? I've read some reviews where some guys don't like them
because the brass pops out of the jaws. What do you think?
leadhead

upnorthwis
03-22-2021, 04:20 PM
There's a little projection that holds a spring that keeps breaking on mine. I'd rather use the loading press.

Pipefitter
03-22-2021, 05:34 PM
I have two, one set up for small primers, and one for large primers. I had that problem until I figured out why the cases were popping out of the jaws.
It seemed to me that when the case was not centered between the jaws the case would pop out when you went to seat the primer. I took to seating the case in the jaws and then giving it a slight spin to center it between the jaws that hold the case. Centered the case every time and no more problem.
I have used mine on several thousand 223/556 cases in the small primer, and perhaps 1k or so in 45LC, which has a tiny rim compared to most cartridges.
A side note: if you reload for 45LC, RCBS will send you a set of modified jaws to hold the case better than the standard jaws.

leadhead
03-25-2021, 08:45 AM
Pipefitter....I don't load 45 colt, but thanks for your input on the case spin. I just got it and haven't
really played with it to much. I also have 2 of the ones that use the shell holders.
leadhead

lotech
03-25-2021, 09:21 AM
I bought two of the Universals some years ago. Both required more hand pressure than should be necessary to seat primers and neither tool would fully seat them 100% of the time. I returned both tools. I used to have the RCBS model that used a shellholder. It was a much better tool even if changeover was a bit more trouble than similar hand priming tools.

Livin_cincy
03-25-2021, 09:43 AM
I bought my hand primer in the days when the pyramids where being built and you could put every hand primer on the market in your hand.

This is a hand tool and in the end it must feel good in your hand.

They all work well and have similar warranties.

With that said the RCBS unit that does not require shell holders saves you buying a $10 shell holder for every caliber. Many say I have to have a shell holder anyway and do not see this,as valuable. They make both types.

When I put everyone at Cabelas in my hand the Lyman felt best. It is also black so It is tactical. You can prime at night without being seen...��������

leadhead
03-25-2021, 10:34 AM
In my opinion, the best hand primer tool ever was the Lee round tray one.
I wore out 3 of them over the years, and for ease of use, just the best.
You can still buy used ones on e-bay but I'm not about to pay 60 or 70 $$
for one. I'll just have to learn to use the RCBS.
leadhead

Gofaaast
03-25-2021, 02:32 PM
I have two of the universals and appreciate their flexibility. As mentioned they take slightly more force vs old model but I’ve yet to have any problems with the tool or it’s performance. Extra primer trays can be purchased for them. I still have a couple of the old models as well. Round primer trays that don’t accommodate placing full trays of some primers and extra time to change over are the negatives. I still use one of them to prime 5.56 LC brass with tight pockets. Primer trays from both models interchange. Ideal set up I feel is 2 of the old models with the new square trays. Shell holder change over doesn’t take much time and with 2 you have both sizes covered if needed. Tip. If you leave primers in the trays remove the end of the primer box and place it under the primer tray for id later.

GhostHawk
03-25-2021, 09:41 PM
I had one for 4 years, used it for everything. Eventually found a second for sale here missing the large primer pusher. So it became my small, and my older one was switched to large, no more switching.

Does everything from .32acp to .444marlin with no sweat. But it does not like Magtech brass .410 shells.
Everything else is smooth and trouble free. I do watch the small one close, I've had a few primers get flipped get inserted upside down over time. Easy enough to catch, just have to eyeball it before you slide the brass in.

Love mine, won't use anything else.

If they start getting stiff a dab of imperial sizing wax on the working joints and the main shaft will cure a lot of problems.

abunaitoo
03-26-2021, 02:08 AM
I have the APS prime one.
It works well for me, but I use the bench primer most of the time.
Compared to other hand primers, the RCBS feels stiffer to me.
Cheap old round tray Lee hand primer is the easiest on the hand.

doulos
03-29-2021, 06:44 PM
I have both the RCBS Universal and the older style that uses shell holders. I actually think the older style is smoother. Even though the travel to seat a primer is longer.

Baltimoreed
03-30-2021, 12:46 PM
I prime on my Dillon and Lyman T-2 presses but hand prime my ‘06 and 30-40 brass. I have used the old style lee auto prime for years. I was given a rcbs hand primer and while its well made and looks nice it has terrible ergonomics imo. I used to send the broken autoprime handles to lee for a replacement but they don’t support them any more so I’ve figured out how to repair the weak handle of the lee and have kept mine running.