PDA

View Full Version : Help with a lyman mould?

Swede 45
03-22-2021, 03:50 PM
I'm looking for a RN mould for 45acp, and recently got an offer from a guy.

The only information I've got from the seller is:
Lyman 4 cavity, 230gr roundnose and gascheck.
Compared to others here, I have little or no knowledge of Lyman moulds, and experience of gaschecks either so I've got some questions.
1: Does anyone have a picture of the mould/boolit?
2: I have never heard of gaschecks for a 45acp boolit? If so, can it be shot without GC with good results?
3: Is this boolit intended for 45acp or something else?
4: Can gaschecks be seated with my star lubesizer?

Thanks for any info on this.
Swede

Burnt Fingers
03-22-2021, 04:29 PM
That sounds like a 452484.

You can see a picture at http://three-peaks.net/Lyman_and_Ideal_Bullet_Molds.pdf

You should be able to shoot that without a gas check.

MP has a six cavity no lube groove mold in stock..https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-452-374-round-nose-flat-base-6-cavity-aluminum-mold-no-lube-groove-452-cal/

243winxb
03-22-2021, 04:53 PM
I have never heard of gaschecks for a 45acp boolit

gwpercle
03-22-2021, 05:33 PM
Print the three peaks / Lyman mould chart and keep it for quick reference ... vey handy to have when talking cast boolits .
The chart shows that boolit as Lyman # 452484 a 225 grain gas check , round nose design .
Basically it is the #452374 , 225 gr. RN PB cut for a gas check .

The 45 acp desn't really need a gas check , some boolits cut for a GC , will shoot OK without a gas check attached ... but sometimes they will not .
My rule is to buy a plain base mould for velocities under 1000 fps and to buy at least one mould cut for a GC for velocities over 1000 fps .
I don't mind using gas checks ... some magnum handgun and rifle loads benefit greatly from a GC .
The 45 acp is the one group of moulds I own where none are cut for gas checks .
9mm Luger , 38 special / 357 Magnum , 41 Magnum all have at least one mould with a GC design .

You are taking a chance on shooting the GC boolit without a check ... it might work fine ...then again if it doesn't , you have a great excuse to get a second 45 acp mould like a 200 gr. TC or SWC in plain base ... that would be great to have .
My first 45 acp mould was 225 gr RN . ..but after getting a 200 gr SWC ...the lighter weight boolit is about all I cast now .

I don't know about Star Lube sizers but sometimes leaving off the gas check invites some lube to be left in the depression ...this extra lube may be messy when handling but I don't see it as a big problem ... you can wipe it off .
Gary

stubert
03-30-2021, 03:04 PM
Sounds like the mold he has may be for a .45 cal. revolver. You don't need a check at 850-950 f.p.s.

oger
03-31-2021, 08:26 AM
Picked one up to use in my Roland but found that it wasn't needed and cast an awfully big bullet. stubert is probabily correct it will work just fine in a .454 dia bore.

MT Gianni
04-01-2021, 01:00 PM
When checks were a penny or less and you considered that improving your bullseye match scores were worth the addition of a gc this mold made sense. It doesn't now days.