PDA

View Full Version : New barrel for a Rossi

gunauthor
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a Rossi (Braztech) break open single shot and would like to get it rebarreled. It is currently 45 Colt/410 (3 inch) and haven't had much luck getting any accuracy (way too much freebore?). I would like to get another barrel, specifically for 45 Colt. I've read some articles from Ed Harris about such a thing, but don't know who is competent or fairly reasonably priced. Any help would be much appreciated.

Doughty
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd try John Taylor, a member of this board. You should be able to find him in the members list located a the top of the page.

gunauthor
12-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your assistance, I e-mailed Mr. Taylor and anxiously await his reply.

missionary5155
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Good morning and welcome !
If freebore is the problem I will ask a few questions... Have you tried Seating the Boolit way out ? I have a 45-70 I purposly had freebored to gain BP capacity.
Have you tried longer cases...
And rather than BUY a new barrel you could just get your barrel set back (rethreaded) into the receiver and take care of the condition.
God Bless your endeors..

scrapcan
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I think I read a thread about using 303 brass to make longer cases to cure something similar to you project. You may want to give Loyd Small or Lar45 (glennn larson of white label lube fame, good stuff by the way) a shout as I think one of them was involved in the thread.

Pepe Ray
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I have the same firearm. Am working on a solution by focusing on the ammo. Am NOT prepared to spend a lot of money on major changes to a firearm I may want to sell later.
Besides, it's more fun searching for proper brass and boolets than trying to find a gunsmith close enough and willing and capable to give satisfaction.
By the time you add the costs of shipping firearms to the costs of gunsmithing you may as well buy a new factory gun.
Well,-- those are my comments . Good luck with whichever path you choose.
Pepe Ray

dk17hmr
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I read about a cartridge called the 450 Mongo. If I remember correctly you load a .452 bullet in a full length brass 410 case, might want to check that out.

gunauthor
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks to all for your assistance. I have tried brass 21/2 inch 410 shells and they appear to be so thin that they cling to the chamber wall and the extractor won't pull them out. It is a Pyrodex light load (suitable for a 45-70 with a heavier bullet thanI am using, so I feel the load is safe) and even tried some hotter 45 Colt loads, but they all show signs of low pressure (lots of unburned powder). I have thought of using a "hot rod" 45 load suitable for a Ruger, etc., but not sure if my rifle will stand the pressure. It may be a lost cause......