PDA

View Full Version : Shoot .22 RF in a .30-06

Gewehr-Guy
03-20-2021, 07:50 PM
Just saw an odd devise at a gun show today, an auxiliary chamber in 30-06 caliber, that held a .22 RF cartridge. I asked the owner of it, how can that shoot accurately out of a .30 caliber barrel ? He showed me the instructions, and the small .30 cal lead "caps" that fit over the nose of the .22 bullets. Kind of like putting a .30 cal hollow base wadcutter bullet over the .22, and inserting the devise in a 30-06 and firing. It was built like the old Marbles chambers, and was built by a company called Alex Inc. Bozeman, MT.

Has anyone ever seen one, or know if they ever worked. I thought it was a clever idea, if it would shoot with some accuracy out to 25 yds or so. I wish I could have gotten a good photo of it, and the instruction sheet, to explain it to you better.

M-Tecs
03-20-2021, 07:53 PM
That's a new one on me. Very cool.

recumbent
03-20-2021, 08:00 PM
This thread explains Alex Inc. Interesting read, https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13120953/alex-inc

Winger Ed.
03-20-2021, 08:01 PM
Never heard of it.
I wonder how the firing pin jives up with the rim fire case.

trapper9260
03-20-2021, 08:39 PM
Here is a link to one that makes it http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html

cwtebay
03-20-2021, 09:23 PM
They are fun! I have to admit to never being able to hit much with them (the point of impact is not even close to where my rifle"s sights were). The blank is eccentrically placed in the cartridge adapter - so the rim of the blank lines up with the firing pin every time.
Alex was run by an older fella that was selling his wares at gun stores in the 80's and 90's. Not sure he's still alive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
03-20-2021, 09:30 PM
Never heard of it.
I wonder how the firing pin jives up with the rim fire case.

This one uses blanks and per the OP the Alex is is a bulleted round
He showed me the instructions, and the small .30 cal lead "caps" that fit over the nose of the .22 bullets. Kind of like putting a .30 cal hollow base wadcutter bullet over the .22, and inserting the devise in a 30-06 and firing. It was built like the old Marbles chambers, and was built by a company called Alex Inc. Bozeman, MT.

gbrown
03-20-2021, 11:06 PM
Don't really understand why someone would want one, unless just to have a unique or oddball system. I have some different things, but have 0 interest in this.

Mk42gunner
03-21-2021, 08:01 PM
I've read about them. I always thought a plain cartridge adapter (at least for .30 cal rifles) made more sense, the ones that let you fire say a .32 ACP in your .306 chamber.

Since beginning to cast, an even easier solution is available. Usually categorized as cat sneeze or mouse fart loads, A light, compared to rifle projectiles, cast boolit ahead of a miniscule charge of powder.

Any of the options will take care of a short range varmint, assuming it hits somewhat close to the sights.

Robert

David2011
03-22-2021, 02:01 AM
Guys and ladies, the reason many don’t understand is that we aren’t the audience for this. Imagine that you had no idea ammunition could be reloaded, boolits could be cast or you could make light .30 cal loads for less than the cost of .22 LR. That’s the target audience.

cwtebay
03-22-2021, 02:09 AM
Guys and ladies, the reason many don’t understand is that we aren’t the audience for this. Imagine that you had no idea ammunition could be reloaded, boolits could be cast or you could make light .30 cal loads for less than the cost of .22 LR. That’s the target audience.Or..... imagine a world where 22 power blanks are available in unlimited supply.... but reloading components are not.

Oh wait ...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk