PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Stag horn

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-19-2021, 10:16 PM
Years ago, I cut and sanded some stag horn for two knife handles. Boy does that stink.

I am thinking of a project with Stag horn, and before I get to much thought into this, is there a way to mitigate the smell during cutting and sanding?

Winger Ed.
03-19-2021, 10:33 PM
I've never cut that, but for the other foul smelling things I've had to do:

Being upwind of a big exhaust fan or wearing a charcoal filter cartridge type paint spraying mask usually works.

OldBearHair
03-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Main thing is top wear a good mask to keep from breathing the dust which goes into the lungs and doesn't come out. It gathers lung tissue around itself and is stuck thereby reducing lung area. The word is accumulative. And add what Winger Ed said.

Mk42gunner
03-20-2021, 07:22 PM
Some Vicks Vaporub on the mask helps disguise the smell.

Robert

DougGuy
03-20-2021, 07:57 PM
I take my tools outside when I have to work bone or horn. Bandsaw, belt sander, work table, etc...

When I had my guitar shop I had a big dust collector with 4" PVC piped to all the tools, exhausted to the outside, and that worked really well, making bone nuts stinks worse than the dentist's office I am here to tell you!

hondo1892
03-20-2021, 09:56 PM
If you don't use powder tools it will stink less. The power tools heat the antler and bone up and increases the stink. I use a respirator much of the time now when cutting even wood. Walnut dust really bothers me if I don't use my respirator.

wch
03-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Years ago, I cut and sanded some stag horn for two knife handles. Boy does that stink.

I am thinking of a project with Stag horn, and before I get to much thought into this, is there a way to mitigate the smell during cutting and sanding?

Horn is formed from hair, antler is bone. Hair stinks when you burn it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2021, 01:20 PM
I should say Deer antler...because that is what it is...but Stag Horn sounds much more exotic, LOL

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2021, 01:22 PM
If you don't use powder tools it will stink less. The power tools heat the antler and bone up and increases the stink. I use a respirator much of the time now when cutting even wood. Walnut dust really bothers me if I don't use my respirator.

This is great info, which is simple enough, that I should have thought of it myself...but I didn't and surely would have used power tools. Glad I am waiting, now to think of where my best hand tools are.

rickw55
03-21-2021, 04:27 PM
I use an old hand-held meat saw (like a hacksaw but with bigger and coarser teeth) to cut bone and antler.. It cuts right through it, and there's much less airborne dust.
Rick W

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2021, 09:26 PM
Somewhere in my house, is my Dad's Meat saw, which I inherited...I've had it for over 30 years and never used it :shock:

Scrounge
03-21-2021, 10:17 PM

Use hand tools only? Jeweler's saw or a coping saw, instead of a jigsaw, for example. Hand cranked drill, instead of a power drill? Files instead of a grinder, and wet sanding by hand, as well? Those should reduce the smoke quite a bit.

Bill

Scrounge
03-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Some Vicks Vaporub on the mask helps disguise the smell.

Robert

a drop of oil of wintergreen should work well, too. I used it when doing autopsy photos, on the recommendation of the Clark County Medical Examiner when I was there in the late 70's and early 80's. Put in the mask, not your skin.

Bill