PDA

View Full Version : Best powder for a .32?

Mk42gunner
03-19-2021, 08:57 PM
I recently stumbled over a looks new never fired Traditions Crockett rifle in .32. I know it isn't a T/C or real high quality, but it should be fun to play with.

After getting it home, I found that the only FFFg I have is about a half a Colt flask that I used for my Navies. I have plenty of FFg, which seems to slow; and most of a pound of 4F for my flintlock, which sounds awful fast for a main charge.

Real BP isn't all that easy to find anymore unless you want to buy twenty five pounds at a time. I don't need nearly that much, a pound or two would suit me fine.

I can find Pyrodex P locally, but I didn't really like it forty years ago.

I have both .310 and .315" balls and suitable patch material. Even some single O buckshot (too big).

I'm thinking start at 10 grains and stop as soon as I get squirrel head sized groups. Sound reasonable?

Robert

mooman76
03-19-2021, 09:25 PM
Sounds good. You'll probably end up somewhere around 15-20gr give or take a little. If you have plenty of FF give it a try. It might work well enough to get you by.

hithard
03-19-2021, 09:56 PM
I can't get my 32 to do anything with ffg.

Going to go with fffg.

Good luck.

alfadan
03-19-2021, 09:56 PM
I use a 9mm case full of 3f.

LAGS
03-19-2021, 10:16 PM
If you need Finer powder like 3 f or 4f , you can always crush up the powder a little and run it thru a screen.
You should be able to find info needed in the Home made black powder thread.

Czech_too
03-20-2021, 06:25 AM
I use 3F in both of mine. Started at 30 grains, went down to 25 grains with no change in point of impact (50 yards). The Lee .310 RB mould drops at .313

Edward
03-20-2021, 07:10 AM
I"d use 4F ,start low and go for group/Ed

sharps4590
03-20-2021, 07:24 AM
Get you a mortar and pestle and grind your 2F down to approximately 3f. It ain't rocket science.

freakonaleash
03-20-2021, 09:14 AM
Black powder is easy to find and you don't need to buy a case, there are several companies that mail it to your door.. You can buy as little as 5lbs. You'll want 3fff.

Mk42gunner
03-20-2021, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only find one of the Lee RB molds in stock.

Oh well, by the time I run out of the balls I do have, I might be able to find a mold. At $10-11 per hundred it won't take long for a Lee DC to pay for itself.

Robert

mooman76
03-20-2021, 07:30 PM
If you want to stretch your fff you could mix it with ff and see how that goes. I have some F powder I got by mistake. By the time I realized it, it had been at least 6 months so there was no taking it back. I'm gonna mix that with FF and shoot in my 58.

rodwha
03-20-2021, 07:41 PM
2F fouls too much for a small bore id think. I often read of people complaining using 3F about fouling too quickly. Likely using a more dirty powder to begin with though.

4F can and is used as a safe powder charge when things are kept in perspective. A 10% reduction of 3F is the general rule of thumb for a comparable charge of 2F. I’d think it prudent to stick with that logic.

I’d use Triple 7 before I used Pyrodex.

mooman76
03-20-2021, 09:03 PM
I've never really had issues with Pyrodex. Not sure why some do and some don't.

rfd
03-21-2021, 05:43 AM
3F Swiss or OE. That's all I use for .32 to .62 cap/flint muzzleloaders and centerfire cartridges.

Right now it's not at all hard to get black powder delivered to your door, it's the way most of us get it. Yes, not cheap. Welcome to the 21st century. Stock up if you can because black powder will become increasing difficult to find online let alone purchase. Signs of the times as black powder will get regulated out of vendor stocking, as is already happening and why it's hard if not impossible to find at local gun and sporting goods stores.

hporter
03-21-2021, 07:44 AM
Mk42gunner,

One of my saved fleabay searches this morning popped up a Lee 2-Cavity Round Ball 311 Diameter Bullet Mold Md: 90406. He has two of them in stock, with a buy it now price of $33.74. His seller name is wholesale hunter.

Not sure if that is one you are looking for, but having read this thread yesterday, it rang a bell when I saw it.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Harold

bedbugbilly
03-21-2021, 11:33 AM
#1 1/2 buckshot measures .310 according to the chart - so if you can't find a mold, maybe someone has some #1 1/2 buckshot that would work. When I was a kid, I came up with a .32 percussion rifle and I ordered a 5# bag of 1 1/2 buckshot, IIRC, from Dixie Gun Works and it lasted a long time - worked fine on squirrels, rabbits, etc. If you don't have or can't find a mold, maybe a shotgunner who has the right buckshot mold could run you some.

Enjoy and have fun with that rifle - cheap to shoot and lot's of fun for plinking, killing cans and taking tree rats!

rodwha
03-21-2021, 05:43 PM
I've never really had issues with Pyrodex. Not sure why some do and some don't.

My father had given me some P and RS. It shot just fine through my rifle and that’s what I broke it in with, but I greatly disliked the sticky fouling through my revolvers. It also doesn’t achieve the higher velocities I require from my pistols to be worthy sidearms on hunts. Some data shows it to be as strong, but others show that it’s not energetic, along with data seeming to show problems with shelf life or humidity or something as it degrades. The powder I had wasn’t weak at all and it was old stuff.

Another thing that turned me off, and it’s my fault for taking the advice that I could clean the rifle the next morning. It was an absolute wreck and in testing shows it can corrode faster than BP.

If I’m to use a substitute it’s Triple 7, otherwise it’s Olde Eynsford.

mooman76
03-21-2021, 05:52 PM
It does corrode quick. I have found that if you use Bore Butter ( Wonder Lube or T/C 1000) it kinda of delays the corrosion a little. I often use those lubes for last shot just in case but I usually like good ol spit. I'm switching to the real stuff but being the cheap sob I am, cant just throw away the old Pyrodex as long as it's good.

Mk42gunner
03-21-2021, 09:17 PM
Harold, thanks for the info on the molds, but I quit the ebay insanity when they started requiring you to use paypal. I'll wait until I find one for a normal price. I have two boxes of Hornady swaged balls to get through before I have to really worry about it.

I may just bite the bullet and order some BP. I'll still try to find some locally though.

If it comes down to it, I can use my single O buck (.320") with a felt wad under it as a patchless projectile. I still have probably four and a half pounds left in the five pound box.

I've got two different diameter balls to try, maybe three, and three different thicknesses of patch material along with the powder choices. I already know I am going to need a new cone, caps fit loosely on the stock one.

Robert

rodwha
03-22-2021, 02:04 PM
It does corrode quick. I have found that if you use Bore Butter ( Wonder Lube or T/C 1000) it kinda of delays the corrosion a little. I often use those lubes for last shot just in case but I usually like good ol spit. I'm switching to the real stuff but being the cheap sob I am, cant just throw away the old Pyrodex as long as it's good.

Yeah, I still have some RS. It works, nothing “wrong” with it ��

After my horrible corrosion incident I was told if you can’t clean your guns when you get home to run an oily patch of everywhere you can, that the fouling will absorb that and keep it protected. So I tested this with both of my pistols during a hot and humid summer and indeed they were protected. I have Ballistol so that’s what I use.

rodwha
03-22-2021, 02:08 PM
2F fouls too much for a small bore id think. I often read of people complaining using 3F about fouling too quickly. Likely using a more dirty powder to begin with though.

4F can and is used as a safe powder charge when things are kept in perspective. A 10% reduction of 3F is the general rule of thumb for a comparable charge of 2F. I’d think it prudent to stick with that logic.

I’d use Triple 7 before I used Pyrodex.

To expand upon this I’d also recommend a cleaner powder. Olde Eynsford by Goex is what I use and I read it fouls so much less than standard Goex and similar powders. Swiss is another, and Triple 7 if you’re looking for something available at most stores or want a synthetic.

However the lube you use can make all the difference as well.

freakonaleash
03-24-2021, 10:18 AM
I would suggest you fellows get on the stick and get some real black powdered mail ordered to your door ASAP. The current administration is sure to put a stop to mail order black powder sooner rather than later.

Soundguy
03-24-2021, 10:37 AM
if you run ff or pyrodex rs, use a portion of the total charge as a primer charge of fff or p. heck.. even a little small charge of ffff ahead of that ff or rs.

OverMax
03-24-2021, 10:55 PM
There use to be a B-powder starting point formula based on projectile weight?
Been a long time since I've tried to remember just what it was? Maybe some other member can tell you?
Those that I know who tote a 32 have those little crocket rifles.
The problem with B/p substitutes? Depending on who's you buy. They can be troublesome to ignite. BTW: Its easy to make and grade B/P. Check out the column on Black making here. A good read.

Czech_too
03-25-2021, 05:04 AM

swamp
03-25-2021, 04:28 PM
What I remember is to start with the grains of powder the same as the calibre.
swamp

rfd
03-25-2021, 04:39 PM
The testing I've done with black powder brands and granulations easily swayed me to Swiss. I use 3f down the tube and in the pan for all flinters from .32 to .62 exclusively.

stubshaft
03-25-2021, 05:46 PM
I use 3F in both of mine.

rodwha
03-25-2021, 06:29 PM
What I remember is to start with the grains of powder the same as the calibre.
swamp

I’ve often read this as well, but always in conjunction with a medium game or larger caliber. My Lyman’s BP book shows hefty loads in .32 as well, but the hunters generally seem to use 10-20 grns of 3F. Small game generally means short distances and those tiny critters sure don’t take much to whack.

Mk42gunner
03-25-2021, 08:57 PM
I’ve often read this as well, but always in conjunction with a medium game or larger caliber. My Lyman’s BP book shows hefty loads in .32 as well, but the hunters generally seem to use 10-20 grns of 3F. Small game generally means short distances and those tiny critters sure don’t take much to whack.
My thoughts as well. The various small game rim and center fire cartridges typically held around ten grains of powder, which should be enough for 25-50 yard shooting. I see no need for 1700 fps loads for that short of a range, since I only plan to use this for squirrels and maybe cottontails.

It's not like I'm Daniel Boone trying to kill a deer with it.

curdog
03-25-2021, 09:33 PM
15 grains of 3f goex and a .310 round ball patched with pillow ticking from hobby lobby kills squirrels cuttin hickory nuts with authority from my crockett rifle...................Curdog

WestKentucky
03-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only find one of the Lee RB molds in stock.

Oh well, by the time I run out of the balls I do have, I might be able to find a mold. At $10-11 per hundred it won't take long for a Lee DC to pay for itself.

Robert
There’s a combo tong type mold on Gunbroker right now that’s still reasonable.

mooman76
03-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Start at equal to caliber grains but in pistols and small caliber rifles 1/2 that.

OverMax
03-27-2021, 02:04 AM
So says my Thompson Center suggested loads manual.
.315 dia. _47gr. weight__30_ _ 50 grs FFFg measured Black. 1714 to 2055 fps. at >muzzle end__are the balls velocity's.

I would follow fiberoptik suggestion. Start at 30 gr. or even 25 grs. first thing and move up in charge until best accuracy appears in a non-fouled clean barrel.

Good Cheer
03-27-2021, 06:50 AM
Does it have a reduced diameter section back at the breech? If so figger out how much it takes to fill it up and go from there.

fiberoptik
03-27-2021, 02:20 PM
So says my Thompson Center suggested loads manual.
.315 dia. _47gr. weight__40_ _ 60 grs FFFg measured Black. 1714 to 2055 fps. at >muzzle end__are the balls velocity's.

There’s absolutely NO reason to use 40 grains, let alone 60! Unless you are trying for deer [emoji1662] instead of squirrel [emoji883]! Even 30 is too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
03-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Does it have a reduced diameter section back at the breech? If so figger out how much it takes to fill it up and go from there.

Yes it does. Clean that with a .22 brush

rodwha
03-27-2021, 03:03 PM
There’s absolutely NO reason to use 40 grains, let alone 60! Unless you are trying for deer [emoji1662] instead of squirrel [emoji883]! Even 30 is too much!

Absolutely. 20 grns is a stout charge in a .32 when talking small game. Seems I typically see 10-20 grns being most common. Accuracy is everything though. If <20 grns just doesn’t group well enough at 25 yds I’d find what did. Heads are small.

Newtire
03-28-2021, 01:33 AM
I wouldn’t take a chance at rusting out my gun with Pyrodex. Even though it’s not “ideal” 2F will light off and shoot just fine out of your .32. I know, I’ve done it. That little Crockett rifle is a real sweet accurate little gun. 15-20 grains is plenty accurate for squirrel at 25-35 yards.

rbuck351
03-28-2021, 02:33 AM
I found a 32 TC with two barrels ( both GMs) and two locks, flint and cap. I use 20grs of 3F which is plenty. I use 2f ground to fine powder for the pan. It groups 1 1/2" @ 50yds with plenty of pop for small game.

Newtire
03-28-2021, 07:50 AM
The T/C Cherokee barrels were cut with a faster twist rate than others to shoot a round ball at a lower velocity/smaller powder charge so as to hunt small game without tearing up meat. At least that's the way I heard it in an article by Toby Bridges. Other 1-48" twisted .32's may require a little stiffer charge to get same accuracy. At least in the theoretical world. Maybe some short little pistol boolits sized land to land diameter on the base just to get it started straight would be fun to play with in that fast twist Cherokee? Too many rifles, too little time. Work is always interfering in my life!

Hanshi
03-30-2021, 03:09 PM
I've never used anything other than 3F in my .32 and get phenomenal accuracy. The little guys usually, but not always, do better on a 3F diet.

Black Jaque Janaviac
04-14-2021, 10:58 PM
I don't need nearly that much. . .

I found your problem. You gotta fix this. You're welcome buddy.

dennis the menance
04-17-2021, 06:37 AM
I recently purchased a Pedersoli .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I found that it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards using 35 grains by weight of Wano PPP blackpowder, with 1/4 cotton ball over the powder, a .315 diameter round ball by Hornady, seated in a 12 thousands thick bed linen lubed patch strip that is cut off at the muzzle, using Castrol White Oxide Grease for patch lube. I patch out between shots using a 1 3/4 inch square patch that's been soaked in Listerine Mint Flavored Mouthwash and rung out almost dry, followed by a dry patch. I only use 3 fingers on the ramrod to push the patched ball down onto the powder - I don't compress the powder. The rifle is fitted with a Period style Winchester 'B' Scope in 5 power made by Montana Vintage Arms. I shoot off a bench with cross sticks. Love that rifle.

ogre
04-21-2021, 01:34 PM
I recently purchased a Pedersoli .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I found that it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards using 35 grains by weight of Wano PPP blackpowder, with 1/4 cotton ball over the powder, a .315 diameter round ball by Hornady, seated in a 12 thousands thick bed linen lubed patch strip that is cut off at the muzzle, using Castrol White Oxide Grease for patch lube. I patch out between shots using a 1 3/4 inch square patch that's been soaked in Listerine Mint Flavored Mouthwash and rung out almost dry, followed by a dry patch. I only use 3 fingers on the ramrod to push the patched ball down onto the powder - I don't compress the powder. The rifle is fitted with a Period style Winchester 'B' Scope in 5 power made by Montana Vintage Arms. I shoot off a bench with cross sticks. Love that rifle.

I appreciate your first post and welcome. I had never heard of "P" grades of powder and had to look them up: useful knowledge.

Hanshi
04-26-2021, 02:40 PM
The Crockett is a fantastic small game rifle that has given me sub 1" groups at 50 yards using the fixed iron sights. And, Dennis, Your rifle hs that same super accuracy - you are a very fine shot, too. I found 20 to 30 grains of 3F give about the same accuracy. These little rifles are delightful and anxious to please.

Newtire
04-27-2021, 01:06 AM
You can run those oversized balls thru a .310 sizer. I have done this with .44 round balls to shoot out of my .444 Marlin. It makes a kind of elongated ball but these things were real accurate over a light charge of Unique. So, if things get tough, go that route! I’m not sure if buckshot is pure lead but I’ll bet it’ll work. As for powder granulation I’ve used 2f in my .32 when I brought the wrong powder to the range. It worked fine at the short ranges I was shooting at.