PDA

View Full Version : RBs & JPW?

Jim
12-28-2008, 11:32 AM
As I posted in H & O/T, we're moving to Floyd, Va. The house sits on a ridge a mile or so outside(I'm pretty sure) the town limits and is just before the end of the street and appears to be the last one. The property, I'm told, is 2 acres of mostly hardwoods. It appears to be just a bit too close to other houses for any full power loads in the back of the property.

NOW, all that being said, I'm thinking I might be able to get away with some "cat sneeze" RB loads in my .45 Colt Vaquero, my .45 Colt Henry repro, my Marlin Guide Gun and my .45-70 Gibbs Summit.

I've got a .458 RB mold and was thinking I might could use JPW as a lube for that. I could also push a .458 RB through a .454 Lee sizer die and load them in .45 Colt cases.

Will JPW suffice for what I'm thinking?

mooman76
12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
I have heard of some using LLA and JPW seams to work the same but I have yet to try either. Give it a try and see. I would think it would work in light loads. Lee used to claim in very low velocity loads you could get by without any lube at all.

runfiverun
12-28-2008, 02:01 PM
boerrancher has run straight jpw to some impressive velocities.

Jim
12-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I sent him a PM. Hopefully, he can shed some light on this for me.

woody1
12-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Jim, I shoot rb's in nearly everything I own and most are lubed with either jpw or Lee's mule snot and/or a smear of boolit lube over the seated ball. I usually seat the ball about flush with the case mouth so there's a ring of lube around the boolit. Prob'ly just tumble lube with jpw or mule snot would suffice but that's the way I do it. Regards, Woody

Jim
12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks, Woody.

yondering
12-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I shoot .454" round balls in my 45 Colt; haven't tried JPW, but LLA works fine. I did get leading without any lube. This is at pretty much air gun velocities; my two ball load is most accurate with a light charge (I'd have to look it up, but have posted it here before), and is just enough that both balls will penetrate a 2" board. Works great on rabbits, knocks them down hard without much meat damage, and is fun to shoot.

Along the same lines as RB's, how about stackable wadcutters? I'd really like a group buy in a 100gr .454" wadcutter, but haven't seen much interest from others.