PDA

View Full Version : 1885

milltownhunter
12-28-2008, 09:49 AM
just order a new 1885 winchester 45/90 ltd 34'' barrel should get it in a few days i was looking at brass on line and can get pmc for $70 per 100 and starline for $88.39 is there much differance i heard that pmc is made winchester is this true? i plan on trying black powder first and plan on only shooting cast boolits i have two 458 molds so far both are lyman one is #457406 and the other is #457122 and plan on geting a lyman 457658 and a rcbs 500gr mold does any body have any good starting point on loading data to start with?

montana_charlie
12-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Do you know what the rifling twist rate is in that barrel?
What feature do you like best in the 457658?
CM

August
12-28-2008, 04:33 PM
You're going to like that rifle -- a lot. You won't like having to pick it up, but you'll appreciate the heft when you pull the trigger.

I don't care for Starline in the big gunz because it is thick and hard compared to Winchester. It would be nice to inspect a PMC case. If I were in your position, I'd probably buy a hundred and give 'em a try.

Since you are getting an unusually long barrel, the lube capacity of the boolit will be important. You want to try to carry lube all the way down to the muzzle of the barrel and that will be your main challenge with this caliber. I would suggest the Paul Jone Creedmore type as a good choice. Most of the Lyman boolits I've used carry a good supply of lube. The more grooves and the deeper they are the better for that long barrel. You give up some aerodynamics, but that's probably a good trade-off for avoiding fouling in the last six inches of the barrel.

There is no smokeless powder that will give you the consistency and accuracy that you can achieve with Black in this gun. You've really bought a gun that is specialized for shooting heavy bullets, with black powder, out to 1000 yards (and even beyond). While it will perform great at any distance, it is produced for 1000 yard shooting. I hope you will stay with black. The one smokeless powder that will bring some success is 4759. But, it will not perform up to the standards of well-made BP loads.

I'd suggest using large, standard pistol primers. Get a compression die from Buffalo arms. Use Walter's .060 over-powder wad. Start with about 70 grains.

Prepare to be amazed at how accurate a rifle can be at very long ranges!

longhorn
12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
PMC is Korean, and has no relationship to Winchester that I've found. In my experience, PMC is highly variable in quality, but I suppose it'd be worth trying. I much prefer Starline, but I anneal it before sizing and loading. As for a starting load, try just dumping 2Fg into the case until overflowing, strike it off level with a business card, and weigh what the case contains. Drop that weight of powder into the case through a drop tube and compress it (NOT with a bullet) enough to seat wad and bullet. That's your starting load.

Heavy lead
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I have never used PMC for the 45-70, but I did get a lot for my 222, and it was junk, it was splitting after 3 firings of a fairly mild load. I've always had great results with Starline brass in everything I've used it in. The PMC brass may be great in the 45-70 thought who knows.

texasmac
12-31-2008, 02:42 AM
CM,
Rifling twist for the Winchester .45-90 Creedmoor is 1:18.
Wayne

montana_charlie
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
CM,
Rifling twist for the Winchester .45-90 Creedmoor is 1:18.
WayneThanks, Wayne. I have been wondering for quite a while...
CM

boommer
01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
WIN Brass will hold more volume than PMC or REM about 5 grs. from what I've found, star line brass in 45-70 never tried any so I can't say. I never work my brass just de-prime, prime,powder,drop tube,compress charge, card, cookie or not,set bullet on card ,taper crimp or roll for lever guns. Aneal your cases before first loading and every fourth afterwords, any mag primer, I use 215 FED, powder Swiss 1.5 will give you 100 Fps over Goex 2f but that don't mean it's any more accurate. grains per load means nothing it's volume, because take 4 powder measures and set them at 60 GRS. and they throw a different volume. Drop tube your powder it stacks it tighter (more powder per volume of case) also changes burn rate. compression also changes burn rate, But do not over compress to get more powder in the case, all you should compress is at most after drop tube is 2/10 ths) I've found. Now your load will be case choice,powder choice, drop tube for sure, card no card, cookie? compression die must have, Now it's volume powder with the compression with card with cookie or not, to type of bullet to cartridge length. This is where I start on a BCR take a case and bullet so the bullet slips in the case with a little grip and long on length, push it in chamber,this gives you max, then you back it off 10 ths. to start. Then volume without air space.

milltownhunter
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
just got rifle today very nice looking very nice wood gun balance very well even with the 34'' barrel cann't wait to shoot it still waiting for brass to come in mail