PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler media preferred size

Shuz
03-18-2021, 07:32 PM
What is the preferred size of corn cob or walnut media?

Targa
03-18-2021, 07:49 PM
Haven’t tried corncob but walnut works great for me.

Edit: sorry, saw you were asking about size....lol, never thought about it so guess I have no preference.

Mk42gunner
03-18-2021, 08:16 PM
I never measured it, I just buy a ten pound bag of whatever size the pet stores carry for lizard bedding when I need more.

It is supposed to be ground English walnut hulls, which are supposed to be harder than black walnut hulls. Couldn't prove it by me, but it cleans brass okay. Doesn't polish it, but I quit shining brightwork when I retired from the navy.

Robert

salpal48
03-19-2021, 11:24 AM
All Dry Media goes in Mesh sizes for industry. I use 20/40 mesh which is Fine Grade. . Zilla and Harbor Freight have no mesh size . most of It is remained from the companies who Mill the Media..
The Fine Grade flows through primer pockets easy and has a consistent Cutting edge and lasts a long Time. I purchase mine @ Kramer Industries. They have good section on Brass polishing. Media comes in many grades from Extra course to powder grade. There are Other fine Grades like 25/40 But this one works for me. They also sell a Dry Polish as an additive caller "Bufferbright" to the media which will remove light scratches. This sort of recharges older media that is worn
Hope this helps

mdi
03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
I prefer corn cob blast media 14-20. (but don't fret, overthink this as 1/4" chunks will clean your brass). I like corn cob blast media because blast media is made from the hard woody core of the cob, and much more quality control than a bunch of scrap, ground up soft corn cobs, something to just soak up pee, but even the litter will work given time). I've tried a lot of different materials for tumbling from walnut pet litter to beach sand, glass beads, rice, dried peas/beans, wood chunks, BBQ charcoal, cat litter (Good Mews worked pretty well) and maybe a dozen others I can't remember and settled on blast media 14-20 and can't remember the dreaded "clogged flash hole dilemma" problem (long lasting, cleans rather. quickly comes in big bags). All worked to some extent; some OK some poor but after a few hours even the worse would clean the brass...

K.I.S.S.

gwpercle
03-19-2021, 05:53 PM
I was going to advise you to use the Frankford Arsenal Treated Walnut Brass Cleaning media , it only comes in one size : 16/20 sieve size . It has just the right amount of polishing media and the size of the media is perfect for brass cases and it's not too expensive ($9.99 / 7 pound box is on sale and available from Midway USA) This is the media I find the best ... It's not wet and clumpy and not "Dusty" either ... dusty is a big complaint of a lot of people .
Kitty litter , snake reptile and pet bedding are not sized or sieved and can cause problems because of the poor size ...clogs up inside cases and clogs flash holes ...be careful buying stuff from the pet supply store ...it's not made for cartridge cleaning / polishing .
Gary

Shuz
03-20-2021, 05:23 PM
I prefer 14/20 and interestingly Anderson Products, a producer, shows that grit, and 20/40, as the grit sizes to use for polishing.

Ziptar
03-21-2021, 07:34 PM
I'm using the 16/20 Frankford Arsenal untreated currently, got a 15 lb box for $17.39 with free shipping from Amazon last November. I've been adding Flitz or Hope's Brass polish to it. I Like it alot, not seeing allot of plugged flash holes in the 45 Colt and 45 ACP I've used it on so far. I see some in flash holes when I dump it out of the tumbler but so far it all falls out on its on with normal handling. Also not getting any dust but I buy the cheapest SwifferŽ type dust cloths I can find and cut into strips and toss about half a sheet into each batch. Grabs the dust really well.

I was going to get the 40lb bag of Corn Cob Blast Media, 600 to 1400 Nominal Dia, sieve size 18 from Grainger, cheap if picked up locally. https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Corn-Cob-Blast-Media-2MVR4

I might stick with the FA though, works great. Brass is beautiful and a wet tumble with pins, dry, and then polish in corn cob.