PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Dillon 450 small primer post & cup

Steve Steven
03-18-2021, 01:09 PM
My son has taken up NRA High Power with an AR and I am outfitting my Dillon 450 to load 223. I got a #3 shell plate, made the #3 rollers, Have the small primer tube, but am lacking the primer post and cup. Anyone have one?

I think the 550 parts will fit and work, I have emailed Dillon about this but gotten no answer yet. If someone knows if the 550 parts are the same, I can get them from Dillon.

If someone can make a drawing of the parts, I can make them in my shop.

Thanks,

Steve

nuclearcricket
03-18-2021, 01:46 PM
Steve, I looked at the Dillon Site and replacement parts for the 550. They look the same as for the 450. The part numbers you will need are 13825 and 13757. If you get those from Dillon and they dont work. Contact me and I can pull mine out and make you prints of both parts and send them to you as a PDF. If you purchased your 450 new my guess is that those parts have been put away someplace so you wouldn't loose them. I feel that the best way to find them will be to get the replacements and the originals will magically show up.
Sam

Steve Steven
03-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Sam,
Thanks for the help. I think you are right, I probably got the parts when I bought it, but I quit shooting and reloading 20 years ago and don't know where they are, especially since I have the small primer tubes. I would like to make the parts but don't have a sample. I'll see what Dillon says.

Steve

oley55
03-18-2021, 04:08 PM
If it helps, here is a pic of the primer part numbers from my rl450 instructions manual. (The pic will probably turn upright when you click on the photo.)

Also I recently upgraded my two 450's with the case auto-eject and had to use some 550 primer parts. They look a little odd with some unused automatic primer feed appendages, but it operates just fine.

I have found a phone call to Dillon works every time. Those folks are pretty sharp and will ask you questions you didn't know you even needed.

Alvarez Kelly
03-18-2021, 04:11 PM
The cup is the same as used on the 550. The anvil is different. PM coming.

oley55
03-18-2021, 04:44 PM
The cup is the same as used on the 550. The anvil is different. PM coming.

Not certain about the same cup. The cup's outside dimensions are the same, but the opening for the head of the seating stem/s are different. At least for my two 1985/86 RL450s. The small stem will drop into and fit the larger cup, but the primer would be sitting there without a means of being guided into the primer pocket.

edit added: I didn't read your post well and confused same cup size vs same cup for machine. My apologies sir.

oley55
03-18-2021, 04:56 PM
Steve, if all else fails, I would be willing to loan you my spare small primer stem and cup for the purpose of your measuring/copying them. Neither of those in the preceding pic have been used since 1986. I found swapping between large and small to be a pain and that's why I bought my second machine in 86.

oley55
03-18-2021, 05:02 PM
deleted for duplicate post

Steve Steven
03-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Thanks Guys,
This site is GREAT for help like this! Alvarez Kelley had the parts and offered them to me at a great price, and I am getting them from him.

Oley55, thanks so much for offering me the loan of your parts, I would have gladly taken you up on that had I not gotten the offer from Alvarez Kelly. I am a machinist with a small shop in my garage and usually make small parts like this.

Thanks so much to you all,

Steve

Steve Steven
03-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Please close this thread, I have found the parts I need.

Steve