PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal 44 cal 4 cavity ??

Dom
03-17-2021, 09:43 PM
I have been given an Arsenal brand 4 cavity 44 cal. 255 gr bullet mold. I already have several other Lyman, RCBS, & Lee 44 molds. Is this any better quality than what I already have ? Wondering if I should keep it. Any info on this brand would be helpful.

Targa
03-17-2021, 10:29 PM
I have the same mold in brass......yeh, I would keep it.

Dom
03-17-2021, 10:31 PM
What is the advantage of the brass over the aluminum ?

Targa
03-17-2021, 10:41 PM
I prefer aluminum so I don’t see an advantage of owning brass. I guess a plus of brass would be that it maintains heat better than aluminum but that is easy to overcome with an aluminum mold using a hot plate to keep the mold hot when your taking a break from casting and a wet sponge to cool it down if you get it to hot when casting.
As for the quality of the mold, they are high quality and that one is worth about $80 or so without the handles. Is it better than Lyman or RCBS? I don’t know, I don’t have any of those molds. Better than Lee? I don’t know about better in the form of function but it is higher quality.

Walks
03-17-2021, 11:04 PM
Are the bullets any better then those from your other molds ?
Check & Compare. Was the mold broken in when you got it ? does it have any problems ?
I have one Arsenal and it's a JOY.
if you don't want it, I'll take it.

onelight
03-17-2021, 11:25 PM
That bullet looks like it would seat deeper in the case than than a Lyman 429421 (it appears to have a wider grease groove )or most of the other Keith style molds I have seen. Not that that is a big deal you can work up a load for it.

derek45
03-18-2021, 08:03 AM
I have the similar 503 mold, 3 equal full size driving bands, flat base, big square lube, and big crimp groove, it's just what Elmer Keith ordered.

It's also oversized, so you can size it as you want.

sometimes the lyman or RCBS are a bit small, and deviate from the original Keith design

https://i.imgur.com/z1oEwmp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HclYOTi.jpg

onelight
03-18-2021, 08:13 AM
Derek45 , yours look different than Targa's more like Kieths maybe it's just the pictures .

Targa
03-18-2021, 09:06 AM
It is a bit different, many different variations of the Keith design exist. If I am not mistaken, the H&G 503 clone that derek45 posted is truer to the original Keith design.

mdi
03-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Best way to decide is to cast some bullets. Clean the mold up real good and cast a bunch. Does it feel good in your hand? Smooth sprue cutting and mold opening? Do the bullets drop out easily? Is the bullet a good diameter with your alloy? Do you like the finished product? Positive mold qualities...

Dom
03-18-2021, 09:34 PM
The thing is I'm very happy with my Lyman & RCBS molds.They shoot quite well in my 44 revolvers & rifle. Don't want to introduce a variable. Also have a Saeco GC 44 mold that is my favorite. I know some say you can't have to many molds, but if one mold fills your need.... This is my Saeco mold. When cast from WW's they come out at 265grs, & superb accuracy. This is my main mold I most always go to.

Targa
03-18-2021, 10:01 PM
The sharp shoulders of the semi wad cutter Keith designs can lead to cycling issues in lever guns. I have never tried them in my lever gun, I pretty much stick with the round nose flat points like the Saeco in your picture for my rifle.

bruce381
03-20-2021, 12:07 AM
then sell it, only you can decide if you like it or not.