PDA

View Full Version : 22 caliber gaschecks from large rifle primers

StarMetal
01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Fellows,

I was fooling around in my shop making some 30 caliber gaschecks with my gascheck tool I made. After I was finished an idea popped into my head. That was making a 22 cal gascheck from a large primer. So I took some spent brass colored large rifle primers and make a very very quick tool to flare them out. I ran a few through my 22 caliber gascheck making tool and then I put it on a 22 cast bullet. Here's picture of it. I sized it in a sizer dies by pounding it through so the bullet nose doesn't look good. It seems the ideas if feasible and now as I write this another thing popped into my head. I remember how hard it was to size, perhaps a large pistol primer would size easier, aren't the slightly thinner?

Joe

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385Primer.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385Primer1.JPG

Johnch
01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
For grins I may try that next time I case those ^%#^$&* little bullets . :evil:
I picked up a .225 Lee sizer die .
It should work good .

Johnch

StarMetal
01-01-2006, 10:23 PM
johnch,

What are you talking about, you have to size the primer out, they are too small as is. It's not an easy operation.

Joe

Johnch
01-02-2006, 12:29 AM
I see what you mean .
[smilie=b: I was thinking the wrong way . [smilie=b:

First I will have to remove any remaining anvils , then
I bet I have a punch that would open the primer to a large enough size to go over the shank of the bullet .

If not I could grind one out of a bolt

Then I could run them thru the sizing die to crimp them on .

But That sounds like a fair amount of work for the few 22 cal case I shoot .

Besides I have about 700 Hornady 22 cal GC's left and I shoot only 300 - 500 or so a year .

Johnch

Bullshop
01-02-2006, 12:50 AM
You should try anealing them.
I think Corbin makes a tool for making 25 cal jackets from shot shell primers.
BIC/BS

StarMetal
01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Dan,

I was just playing around with them. They are way more work then cutting the discs and making checks. Besides you have to use the ones that aren't chromed. Don't think those chromed ones would be good for the bore.

Joe

Ricochet
01-04-2006, 12:07 AM
That's nickel plating on the silver colored primers. I don't know how that fairly pure nickel is for bore fouling, the old copper nickel jackets were notorious for it.

I've shot a lot of Turkish Mauser 8mm that appears to have steel jackets with a thin coating of either nickel or more likely, copper-nickel. They're not the bright silver of the plated primers. They don't seem to foul more than copper jackets, and ammonia gets it out.

wills
01-04-2006, 01:06 AM
If someone can sell .22 brass on e-bay for jackets, we ought to be able to sell our primers for gas checks. Maybe about $5.00/hundred, and throw in a shipping & handling charge!