PDA

View Full Version : I'm in deep trouble

Thumbcocker
03-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Got a call yesterday. Turns out that due to activity in my bank account a federal investigation has been started and there is a warrant for my arrest. I hung up rather than talk to am "agent ".

I figureit is just a matterof time before a SWAT team rappels out of a black helicopter and hits my door with a ram. But don't worry. I am on good terms with a Nigerian Prince. I bet I can claim diplomatic immunity.

Bull-Moose
03-17-2021, 10:15 AM
I got a similar call some months back. I am still waiting for the SWAT to show up. lol.

white eagle
03-17-2021, 10:23 AM
wow .,you can't make this stuff up

myg30
03-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Yup, lots of activity on my accounts, seems all of them from several banks I NEVER DEAL WITH !
When I’m in the right mood, I press 1 to speak with “an agent”. I try to sound like a deaf, older man or women. I screw with them as long as I can before they hang up. I had one of them hold on fer 3-5 minutes, told them I was looking for my bank and SS card for the numbers, but I was making a peanut butter n jelly sandwich.
It’s hard to understand their accents, but I think they cussed me !

Mike

Dunross
03-17-2021, 10:36 AM
About a month ago I got an email with an out and out blackmail attempt. I've been on the Internet for more than twenty five years now and that was a first! I was stunned initially then I started laughing. Did not reply nor open the attachment with their instructions for where/how to send them the money. No illicitly obtained videos of myself have been sent to my family, friends, or employer yet!

I guess the Nigerian scam has played out so they are casting about for new rackets. Send out enough of those things and they are bound to come across someone with a guilty conscience who doesn't think first before they send their money.

I've gotten the "call the Chinese embassy" scam call four times now. One of them went into my voicemail. If I didn't know someone who spoke Mandarin to translate it for me I'd have no idea of what it was about. Think about how many numbers they have to be shotgunning out their scam to find people who could even understand what they were saying?

bedbugbilly
03-17-2021, 10:44 AM
I got one of those calls a while back . . .

Cleared out my bank accounts, sold my house, loaded up my truck, changed my name and got fake ID - am now "on the lam". Shouldn't be a problem though . . . I'll probably blend right in with all of the illegals crossing the corner . . . who'll notice an Irishman mixed amongst all of them?

Amazing . . . the scams that come up devised by those who don't want to actually work for a living and should be in jail.

BJK
03-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Clicking due to curiosity will get you every time. Just don't do it. But yes, I understand sometimes they appear legit'.

I get one frequently, sent from myself to myself telling me to check my bank accounts. Of course I always open that one don't you know. I delete hundreds of emails a day, unopened, just mass deletions. If anyone doesn't get enough spam, just let me know and I'll be glad to forward a mess of them.

Billy, I hope it works out for you.

MT Gianni
03-17-2021, 11:47 AM
My 13 yr old Grandaughter gets these. I explain to her the Federal Gov. doesn't call from Anaconda, MT and we delete it.

bangerjim
03-17-2021, 11:52 AM
Amazon is always suspending my Prime account for non-payment.

Never had one..........never will!

I get overdraft and other warnings from banks I do not ever have accounts for.

And calls from everybody from Amazon and Ebay (?) to the FBI and Social security.

Amazing what these people try to pull. The few times I listened to their rants, I could not hardly understand the severely broken English.

Just watch your back and use common sense. And always look at the Source URL and in the properties of the email!!!!!!!! They have nothing to do with the companies they are trying to trick you with.

jim147
03-17-2021, 01:06 PM
Last week there were all kinds of problems with my Chase account. I think the biggest problem was I've never had one.

pworley1
03-17-2021, 01:10 PM
"Time to go to the mattresses"

slohunter
03-17-2021, 01:14 PM
I get them calls, when they ask me where I work, I tell them the IRS.....click!

monadnock#5
03-17-2021, 01:53 PM
Caller ID and the answering machine. The greatest inventions since leavened bread.

woodbutcher
03-17-2021, 02:17 PM
:twisted: What I usually do,is to punch the button to talk to the agent.THEN,I say,good morning or whatever abd then-This is the Knoxville Tn FBI field office.How may I help you?
Gets real quiet.Then a disconnect.:twisted::twisted:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

joe leadslinger
03-17-2021, 03:05 PM
My Apple computer is infected and I need to let the Apple agent fix it, but they can't tell me what's wrong unless I give them access to my computer, problem is I don't have anything made by Apple. :killingpc

Polymath
03-17-2021, 03:48 PM
No, not living in Jail. Basic cost of living to house a convict is $5,000 +or- a year. give 20 minutes to come to terms with their maker then a shallow grave.

Polymath
03-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Got an email from someone claiming they had video of me in sexually compromising positions. Then threats, then they gave up. Still not funny 3 year later. Gave it all over to God to sort out. I'm sure he did.

hiram
03-17-2021, 04:29 PM
I got a call once. I introduced myself as Detective jones or something. I asked the caller how he knew me (Hiram). He said he didn't know Hiram. I said 'don't hang up, we have your number and we are putting another detective on the line to question you. You have reached Hiram's phone number and this is a homicide scene. Click.

tai95
03-17-2021, 04:56 PM
I always get the call about my cars extended warranty running out. I usually wait til they answer and string them along. If you ask them what car they are calling about they always seem to be having computer problems and can't look up that information. When you ask how can they take a payment if their computers are down, they instantly are working again. So Then again I ask which car are you talking about, and somehow like magic the computers stop working.

I also like the one where they are going to cancel my social security number.

Springfield
03-17-2021, 05:22 PM
For some reason they never want to extend the warranty on my 1927 Ford. I usedeto get calls from they guys wanting to help me with my credit. One time I told them I had 445,000 debt between 14 credit cards. The guy actually forwarded me to his boss, who hung up on me.

TheDoctor
03-17-2021, 05:34 PM
Cops don't normally call, they knock. And you're lucky nowadays if you get that courtesy!

edp2k
03-17-2021, 06:05 PM
"Time to go to the mattresses"

I'll make the gravy, Luca.

edp2k
03-17-2021, 06:10 PM
I hear a nigerian prince recently died with an estate worth millions.
In the last few years of his terminal illness he tried to give all his money away to people
around the world as a gift of charity but no one would return his emails and they just hung up the phone.

AndyC
03-17-2021, 06:16 PM
I work at a college as a cybersecurity guy and here are the 2 most common scams via email:

1. "Are you available"? - an email is sent from a Gmail-address (or similar) using a legit Director or Dean's name, sent to the underlings (all of those names are easily found on the college website by department - grrr) asking if they're available.

The underling, wanting to be helpful, replies yes and the game is on. Next comes the request from their "boss" - saying they're in a meeting, will be stuck for hours and they forgot it's their nephew's birthday - 'So please buy me $500 worth of gift-cards at Walmart, send me the numbers by email and I'll reimburse you" - poof, money gone.

2. "You have been selected to apply for a work-from-home position with our company" - aimed at students, it fools them into thinking they're working for some huge multinational, but they're literally laundering stolen money through their personal bank-account.

They could be charged with felonies, the banks close their accounts and/or make them responsible for the full monies that were illegally-transferred (due to "engaging in a criminal enterprise"), their name goes on a bank and credit blacklist, they could lose their scholarships, their student visas, etc - it's horrific. I've even had some students threatened with death/severe bodily harm when they get a check and realize it might be a scam and refuse to deposit it - because, of course, the kid gave up their physical-address when applying for "the job". Doh.

john.k
03-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Scam warranties are a lot older than the net...I worked in a Ford dealership in the 70s,and there was a salesman who sold extended warranties on stuff like crankshaft and block,chassis and back axle .....he had the biggest sales bonus every month........Lucky he never sold extended warranties on things like windscreens leaking like sieves ,or wet floor mats rusting out bodies in twelve months,would have sent Ford broke.

farmbif
03-17-2021, 06:59 PM
when I trade in the truck remind me to get one of those crankshaft warranties that prolly aint worth the paper they written on.
uh huh, I seriously don't think anyones gonna call if they investigating you. you find out all about it after they bash in your door and drag you out by the toes. that seems to be the way law enforcement works these days.
if you got a friend that's works in da office they might find out something when they arranging for your arrest warrant.
seems theses days the phone lines are used more by scam artists than anyone else. I don't answer anymore unless I recognize the number.

Nazgul
03-17-2021, 07:57 PM
Got the call that I had won a new Cadillac awhile ago. Whooped and hollered like a banshee into the phone for 3-4 minutes. Talked to my wife all excited, I was home alone. The said all I had to do was send the $800 tax money and it was mine. I kept asking about all the features it had, if it had heated seats and mirrors, everything I could think of. Finally started to ask were to send the money too. They wanted a Western Union money order. I balked and kept offering checks. After about 20 minutes I told them to send the car and I would pay cash to the delivery guy.

They hung up...........

Don

lightman
03-17-2021, 08:06 PM
If it doesn't show up on my phone with a name I just let it go. But I had a buddy that would talk with them. He would string them along, BS them, ect and he kept a personal record of how long he could string them along. I think his personal best was in the 20 minute range.

Spedsterguy
03-17-2021, 08:19 PM
I try and keep them on the phone as long as I can. I like to give them my name, sometimes it is Suke MyBalls or Harry Arss. If I have to answer medical questions. They may ask If I have any preexisted conditions. I tell them I have Ligma. What is Ligma they may ask. I tell them that they can Ligma ass.

I know, there is a special place in hell for me LOL

Spedsterguy
03-17-2021, 08:23 PM
Also If I get those fake credit cards in the mail, the ones that promise you a 50,000 limit LOL. I save them and give those scammers the number off the cards. If I win a dream vacation I aways ask them if they have a resort in S. Cammer island

jonp
03-19-2021, 03:51 PM
I just got this email and I'm a little suspicious as it came from Turkey. It also came in at 6:49 PM but the sign in activity isn't till 11:49 PM but you know those tech gurus, they are always ahead and on top of the game. Probably an advanced algorithm thing. I better do it as the email seems legit

Y͏o͏u͏r͏ A͏m͏͏a͏͏z͏͏o͏͏n a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ i͏s͏ t͏e͏m͏p͏o͏r͏a͏r͏i͏l͏y͏ l͏o͏c͏k͏e͏d͏.

For your protection, we have suspended your account because we detected unusual sign in activity on your account. You can help us unlock your account by click on the button link and following the on-screen instructions.

Sign-in details:

Time : March 18, 2021 11:49 PM
IP Address : 125.187.78.112
What should you do?

-- ͏Cl͏i͏c͏k ͏b͏u͏t͏t͏o͏n ͏b͏e͏l͏o͏w, ͏Si͏g͏n-͏i͏n ͏w͏i͏t͏h ͏y͏o͏u ͏a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t.
-- ͏Re-͏e͏n͏t͏e͏r ͏y͏o͏u͏r ͏c͏o͏m͏p͏l͏e͏t͏e ͏p͏a͏y͏m͏e͏n͏t ͏m͏e͏t͏h͏o͏d ͏u͏s͏e͏d ͏f͏o͏r ͏p͏a͏y͏m͏e͏n͏t͏s.
-- ͏Re-͏e͏n͏t͏e͏r ͏a͏n͏y ͏a͏d͏d͏r͏e͏s͏s͏e͏s ͏t͏h͏a͏t ͏y͏o͏u ͏r͏e͏c͏e͏n͏t͏l͏y ͏a͏d͏d͏e͏d ͏t͏o ͏a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t.

Af͏t͏e͏r ͏y͏o͏u ͏f͏o͏l͏l͏o͏w͏e͏d ͏t͏h͏e ͏s͏t͏e͏p͏s, ͏w͏e ͏w͏i͏l͏l ͏r͏e͏v͏i͏e͏w ͏a͏n͏d ͏i͏n͏f͏o͏r͏m ͏y͏o͏u ͏i͏n ͏t͏h͏e ͏n͏e͏x͏t ͏e͏m͏a͏i͏l.

jonp
03-19-2021, 04:08 PM
Got an email from someone claiming they had video of me in sexually compromising positions. Then threats, then they gave up. Still not funny 3 year later. Gave it all over to God to sort out. I'm sure he did.

I got that email last week. They were going to send it to my employer, friends, email list etc.

elmacgyver0
03-19-2021, 04:20 PM
I got that email last week. They were going to send it to my employer, friends, email list etc.

Tell them to post it on U-Tube so you can see what they have.

Rockzilla
03-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Yep....getting all kinds calls / emails
the calls I answer some of them and say:
"you're on the air and live with Mad - Dawg on WZZY (something like that)......click
DEA Tip Hot Line.... click
Wetangs Palor.... click

-Rock

jonp
03-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Tell them to post it on U-Tube so you can see what they have.

I don't want them seeing what I have...did I read that wrong?

higgins
03-19-2021, 07:21 PM
At one time a couple of years ago, I must have had a dozen warrants issued against me in addition to problems with the IRS and Social Security. I never knew my life was so exciting.

Multra
03-19-2021, 07:40 PM
I get calls that my social security number has been cancelled. Just glad I don't have to pay taxes now, nicest thing the government has ever done for me.

AZ Pete
03-19-2021, 08:15 PM
when they call me, I tell them that I cannot talk right now, so if they will give me their number, I will call them right back.....they hang up....Works for IRS, Windows Support, and about any of the scams.

buckwheatpaul
03-19-2021, 09:19 PM
Got a call yesterday. Turns out that due to activity in my bank account a federal investigation has been started and there is a warrant for my arrest. I hung up rather than talk to am "agent ".

I figureit is just a matterof time before a SWAT team rappels out of a black helicopter and hits my door with a ram. But don't worry. I am on good terms with a Nigerian Prince. I bet I can claim diplomatic immunity.

I kind of like talking to them like they are anything but a child of god.....

Mal Paso
03-19-2021, 09:25 PM
Lately I've gotten a number of calls with no one there. I think the dialers call multiple numbers and I was slower than someone else. Darn.

Southern Son
03-20-2021, 07:33 AM
A fellow on a knife forum I frequent said he got the "we have nude/sexual photos of you and if you don't send us money, we will send them to everyone in you email folder..." He said he decided on a pre-emptive strike, so he sent nude photos to everyone in his email folder. I hoped that he was joking, but he is a Tasmanian.

tai95
03-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Lately I've gotten a number of calls with no one there. I think the dialers call multiple numbers and I was slower than someone else. Darn.

I've had that too. There are also sometimes when you answer the call you can hear another person saying hello as you are saying hello, then the line goes dead. I've always loved the Tom Mabe telemarketer gags. These are old now, but still make you laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a-CZMrVAg

MrWolf
03-20-2021, 09:13 AM

I get the same. Always wondered what they were up to. Got a notice on house phone that there was a voice-mail message. Weird as the phone never rang. Was a local number. Listened to message and all I got was an older woman saying Rita then nothing. Literally two minutes later the phone rings and it is the same number. He says he saw I called him. We laughed about scammers and such and I commented that his wife left her name. He told me his wife had passed a long time ago and that he had called our post office to verify I was legit - small town and post office knows everyone. I had to go to post office anyway and told the post master woman what happened. She was very surprised I knew the name of his wife since the number is in his name and she had passed a while ago when I told her who called and such. Really weird. Guess ghosts are reaching out and touching. Was even stranger that I had met the guy in the post office several months ago. Never even gave names as the post master told him when we met. Whole thing just raised goose bumps.
Ron

iomskp
03-21-2021, 01:53 AM
A friend of mine is Welsh speaking and talks to these people in Welsh, it only takes couple of seconds before they hang up.

AZ Pete
03-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Spanish works too.

KarlieBo
03-22-2021, 11:41 PM
I have been getting a lot of student loan scam calls. I don't have student loans ; )

AndyC
03-24-2021, 12:42 PM
The fact is, the international phone-system is badly compromised and spoofing (faking) a phone-number is as easy as spoofing an email-address.

Blocking the apparent number doesn't help - you'd just be just blocking the real, innocent owner of that number. In response, I'm highly-suspicious of all calls originating from within my area-code (only my ex-wife has the same prefix out of all my contacts) so I just let them roll-over to voicemail - and on review, every single one is a spam/scam voicemail.

WestKentucky
03-24-2021, 12:50 PM
We have had a rash of calls to direct lines at work. We just pass the callers around and leave them on hold for extended periods until they hang up. The most recent one called my direct number... from my direct number. I honestly want to know how they are making that caller I’d scenario happen.

tai95
03-24-2021, 02:23 PM
We have had a rash of calls to direct lines at work. We just pass the callers around and leave them on hold for extended periods until they hang up. The most recent one called my direct number... from my direct number. I honestly want to know how they are making that caller I’d scenario happen.

You can download an app and do it right from your cell phone. It's been available for years. With VOIP phone systems now you can do all sorts of interesting stuff if you wanted to.

Win94ae
03-24-2021, 02:46 PM
That is how I'll treat the actual police, if they call on the phone.

fiberoptik
03-24-2021, 03:02 PM
Got the call that I had won a new Cadillac awhile ago. Whooped and hollered like a banshee into the phone for 3-4 minutes. Talked to my wife all excited, I was home alone. The said all I had to do was send the $800 tax money and it was mine. I kept asking about all the features it had, if it had heated seats and mirrors, everything I could think of. Finally started to ask were to send the money too. They wanted a Western Union money order. I balked and kept offering checks. After about 20 minutes I told them to send the car and I would pay cash to the delivery guy.

They hung up...........

Don

Mom got the same. Asked my opinion. Told her scam. She sent the $$ anyways. Duh [emoji849]..... no car [emoji594].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim147
03-24-2021, 05:13 PM
I can't believe my car warranty has expired three times in the last week.

country gent
03-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Ive got the ever dry basement guy coming out next week. Hope he shows me where the basement is, I could use the extra room

Pressman
03-24-2021, 05:34 PM
From reading through this it seems I am missing out on a lot of great offers. I wear a hands free device with the phone on auto answer. If I do not say anything they automatically hang up, then I block that number.

fiberoptik
03-25-2021, 12:18 AM
I can't believe my car warranty has expired three times in the last week.

You think that’s bad, mine keeps expiring and I don’t even Have a [emoji594] car!

lksmith
03-30-2021, 12:15 PM

I figureit is just a matterof time before a SWAT team rappels out of a black helicopter and hits my door with a ram. ...

ME TOO! Except I told them to come on I have a few new toys and could use the target practice, also told them my dog could use some new "chew toys". Would you believe they hung up on me?!?!?!

lksmith
03-30-2021, 12:16 PM
You think that’s bad, mine keeps expiring and I don’t even Have a [emoji594] car!

I talked to them once, told them I was interested on getting a warranty on my 1995 geo tracker with +300k Miles on it. Said I have a lot of work needing done since I rolled it. They hung up on my too, but keep calling!

Daekar
04-01-2021, 06:46 AM
For some reason they never want to extend the warranty on my 1927 Ford. I usedeto get calls from they guys wanting to help me with my credit. One time I told them I had 445,000 debt between 14 credit cards. The guy actually forwarded me to his boss, who hung up on me.

I have a 2003 Jetta with over 200K on it, and for reason they never want to extend my warranty either. Can't understand why...