PDA

View Full Version : About custom molds

Wm Cook
03-16-2021, 09:43 PM
Can a lathe that’s set up to cut molds cut a metplat as small as .090”?

I know nothing about custom molds. I do know that if you send a sample to a craftsman that cuts molds on a CNC lathe he’ll work from what you’ve given him. And if you send a sketch or doodle on a computer the person may even point out problems and offer suggestions.

A group buy is a long shot and it should be because for a manufacturer to take on the cost it has to be worth while. Folks like MP, NOE and others have to stay in business so we can buy molds from them ten years from now. And I’m not knocking Lee but I would prefer a single cavity iron mold. And besides Lee is shut down for who knows how long. 2nd best to iron would be a single cavity brass mold.

So the only path forward is to find someone who takes on one off projects and cuts the mold on a CNC lathe.

The problem is that the mold needs a .090 metplat. That may be a deal breaker since Accurate Mold’s minimum metplat is .18. Doubling the size of the metplat will change the geometry and balance and besides I have sample bullets thanks to a friend on the site and the design has already proven itself to be accurate.

The mold would be a reproduction of an old NEI design.

Thanks, Bill.

country gent
03-16-2021, 10:09 PM
A base pour should be do able. Depending on design and equipment. Lathe bored would require small boring bar of a special size to finish as the Y feed could only be .045. In a cnc and under sized cutter and a circle interpret progta, would do it. A cherry could be made but is a lot for one off

Wm Cook
03-16-2021, 11:15 PM
CG that went over my head, but it sure sounded right. Just kidding. Thanks for giving me some hope. Assuming it’s possible who could I turn to?

GregLaROCHE
03-17-2021, 12:09 AM
Check out Accurate molds. If you don’t see what you want, they can still probably make it for you.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=all

waksupi
03-17-2021, 12:38 PM
May i ask why you want such a small meplate?

Wm Cook
03-17-2021, 10:04 PM
I’m trying to duplicate the NEI / Ed Harris 311 155 GC. Walt’s brochure listed it as a 72 but it was also sold under the number 52A. That mold had a good track record for accuracy back then and it’s unrealistic to think I would ever find one used. If I could find it used I would buy it used. The sole purpose of the mold I want to have cut is to cast for accuracy with a Ruger bolt gun chambered in 7.62x39.

Lee copied most of the original NEI/Harris design with their C312-155-2R. They duplicated the NEI/Harris design from the gas check shank to the olgive but then Lee put a greater taper towards the tip but still kept the same .090 metplat that the NEI had. Both have an OAL of .935” and the bearing surface between the two is very close at about 50%. But the Lee drops at ~153.2 (#2) and the NEI drops at ~164.6 (unknown alloy) because of the beefier nose North of the olgive.

Different shape, different weight different center of gravity. I believe the NEI will have better accuracy then the Lee and I would like to bring the original design back to life. Rumor has it that Lee used the pointed shape to the nose to make it look like ball ammunition for Saturday afternoon warriors.