PDA

View Full Version : Good news Bad news!

Freightman
03-15-2021, 09:45 PM
The first of the year I went to have a ECO and stress test called a combo test. Well what they found was my heart and arteries are healthy , but my Aortic valve not. The Dr. said it should be the size of a 1/2" garden hose but mine was the size of plastic tubbing. So some time in the near future I will have to have it replaced, which is not that bad they now replace them through the grown. The real problem is the only hospital that does it has a waiting list and there is only one team that does them here. Said it would be May which isn't bad. I have been lucky with my health for 81 years so guess I am very blessed. I don't worry but my wife of 60 years does, I keep telling her I will be fine and God will see me through.

Martin Luber
03-15-2021, 09:50 PM
Good luck sir!

NY_Treeguy
03-15-2021, 09:57 PM
I’m sure you’re going to be fine. Dad had a valve replacement at 71 and no problems.

truckerdave397
03-15-2021, 10:06 PM
The little woman had the same issue. She has a nickel allergy so she could not have the one through the groin. Open heart for her. Almost two years ago and she is doing good. She had it done at University of Michigan hospital in Ann Arbor Michigan. Supposed to be one of the top 5 hospitals in the U.S. for heart operation. You might try them. She was in there 5 days.

StuBach
03-16-2021, 06:26 AM
Good luck sir. You don’t need it but throwing it out there anyways. [emoji16]

Plus one on finding another hospital if needed. Michigan has several places that do this (my dad had his done in northern Mi. But that’s a haul from Texas. I’m sure there has to be places in NM or Dallas that can do it?

Texas by God
03-16-2021, 07:40 AM
Praying, neighbor. Get better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

buckwheatpaul
03-16-2021, 07:50 AM
Spouses always worry.....God still has a job for you so He is leaving you here! I am praying for an opening for you and healing and comfort as well!

GoodOlBoy
03-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Praying for ya buddy!

God Bless

Richard

MrWolf
03-16-2021, 08:58 AM
You will be fine. Prayers anyway and good luck.
Ron

DocSavage
03-16-2021, 10:27 AM
Buy a plane ticket and come to Mass probably the best place on the planet for medical services

bedbugbilly
03-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. You'll get through fine. There have been so many advances in the technology that it is mind boggling what they can do now . . and with time . . . it will advance even further. I had triple by-pass over twenty-five years ago. My heart paths used to be done through the groin , . . which I never minded as it wasn't that big of a deal. The last one I had in 2019 was through the wrist . . . even easier. As I tell those I know who are going in for the various procedures . . "relax and let them do all the work". Good luck to you and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Duckiller
03-16-2021, 02:14 PM
Good luck! For all concerned Texas has GOOD heart surgeons. First heart transplant in the US. South Africa beat us by a very short time.

eveready
03-16-2021, 03:18 PM
I had my aortic valve replaced through the groin 1 year ago, March 2020. Went in on the ninth, home on the eleventh. I as 81 years old at the time. No problems except minor irritation at the site. A little embarrassing at times, had to pull the sheet back every couple of hours so some nurses could inspect the site. Had it done at the Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania. You'll be fine,it's a piece of cake.

osteodoc08
03-16-2021, 09:24 PM
Find a place near you that specializes in a procedure called TAVR. This is the procedure our members are referring to as through the groin valve replacement

Dekota56
03-16-2021, 09:32 PM
You and your family are in my prayers

popper
03-16-2021, 09:50 PM
Baylor Heart hospital , Plano, tx. I can get you names if needed.

gbrown
03-16-2021, 11:34 PM
Debakey Cardiology Center, Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX. My wife has an appointment there in the near future. My BIL had open heart surgery there about 20 years ago. 85 and still going strong. Wife has heart problems concerning heart rates. Hospitalized 2X for rates in the 30s. Possibly a pace maker, we'll just have to wait and see.
Good Luck, fellow, whatever you decide.

GregLaROCHE
03-17-2021, 12:21 AM
Don’t you or your wife worry. If the doctors consider you in good enough health to do the operation, you shouldn’t have any problems. Today’s medicine is amazing!

myg30
03-17-2021, 09:46 AM
Freight man, My prayers for a quick full recovery.

We always say, They don’t build them like they use to ! I believe that also applies to people as the older generation are the toughest old birds !
All the butterfly’s and snow flakes will never make it to our age. Non repairable, just replace !
Just my $ .02 worth.

God Bless, Mike

Murphy
03-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Frank,

I'll be keeping you in my prayers friend. I was in need of a pacemaker back last fall. It took 2 months to get it due to the hospitals being backed up for other reasons. Take good care of yourself my friend.

Murphy

Freightman
03-17-2021, 10:15 AM
Thanks everything is moving faster than they thought so will be over before long. My cardiologist is rated as one of the best and the hospital is rated in the top 10 in the country. Prayers are always appreciated as I believe it is the most powerful force in the universe.

lightman
03-17-2021, 08:25 PM
Wishing you the best. Please keep us up to speed on your situation. Many of us would be willing to keep you in our prayers.

Bodean98
03-17-2021, 08:58 PM
I had mine replaced Dec.13 2019 (that was a friday BTW!) I wasn't able to get the TAVR and had to go with open heart surgery. I had the ONYX mechanical valve installed and all seems well. I do have to deal with the coumadin but I believe it beats the alternative.
I had BAVD and it was asymptomatic. I had no side affects or symptoms except for a heart murmur that was detected during a DOT physical. I went pheasant hunting with my sons and deer hunting with my daughter in the weeks before surgery, thinking it may be my last chance. As has been said before, these modern docs and modern medicine are incredible! You will be fine other than the pains associated with the procedure. I was able to continue the time with my children and grandchildren thanks to the good lord and his servants, the doctors!
Prayers from here!