PDA

View Full Version : .44 mag bore diameter

Gundogblue
03-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Hi All,
I cast for my 1894 Marlin in .44 mag, and I size the boolits to .433, and they work perfect.
Well my kid asked me to cast some boolits for him, he will be shootin them out of a Taurus Raging Bull revolver, but I’m not sure if a .433 boolit will work in a .44 mag revolver?
Any advice on this will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks ,
Paul

mdi
03-15-2021, 12:22 PM
The SAAMI specs for 44 Magnum barrels differ; rifle vs handgun groove diameter. Rifle specs are .431" +.004, and handgun specs are .429" (+.004"?). Not sure why. My revolvers all slug out at .429"-.430" and my Puma slugs .432"....

I have fired some .433" cast SWC in my 629, Ruger SBH, and Dan Wesson 44H with no apparent problems as long as the cartridge with a larger bullet fits the chamber. The cylinder throats were .431"-.432" so the bullets were swaged to the same diameter...

Conditor22
03-15-2021, 04:19 PM
Size to the size that just fits through the cylinder forcing cones.

my RSBH loves .430

waco
03-15-2021, 07:29 PM
Size them to be a snug slip fit in the cylinder throats.

Gundogblue
03-15-2021, 10:57 PM
Thanks much I’ll cast some first and try them in the cylinder throats that will give me a good idea what sizer I’ll need.
Thanks
Paul

GregLaROCHE
03-16-2021, 03:09 AM
If your lead isn’t super hard and they they fit in the cylinders, be sure to check them all, you shouldn’t have any problems.

reloader28
03-16-2021, 10:41 AM
The easiest way to know is to see if your ammo fits in his cylinder.
433 is what I use

mdi
03-17-2021, 12:01 PM
Having been a machinist/mechanic all my working life I think "snug fit". "drop through" easy push through" are not measurements. Your "push through" and my "push through" probably vary by several thousandths (depending on how much coffee I've had). I much prefer real life measurements and there are a few ways to get exact, o at least very, very close measurements. Pin/plug gauges are very commonly used by reloaders to measure cylinder throats. I also have expanding ball gauges left over from my machined parts measuring. And since the reloader already has slugged the barrel, he can slug the cylinder throats. No big deal and it only has to be done once and and micrometers are waaay more precise than pushing a bullet through a cylinder with a pencil. If you know the ID of the throats you can just buy a sizing die that same diameter and know your bullet would fit...

Shuz
03-17-2021, 11:33 PM
Having been a machinist/mechanic all my working life I think "snug fit". "drop through" easy push through" are not measurements. Your "push through" and my "push through" probably vary by several thousandths (depending on how much coffee I've had). I much prefer real life measurements and there are a few ways to get exact, o at least very, very close measurements. Pin/plug gauges are very commonly used by reloaders to measure cylinder throats. I also have expanding ball gauges left over from my machined parts measuring. And since the reloader already has slugged the barrel, he can slug the cylinder throats. No big deal and it only has to be done once and and micrometers are waaay more precise than pushing a bullet through a cylinder with a pencil. If you know the ID of the throats you can just buy a sizing die that same diameter and know your bullet would fit...

Well said!