PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Infared thermometer for casting temps?

mikenbarb
12-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Im looking to possibly purchase a Infared thermometer for my lead temps when casting and smelting and wondering if anyone uses one and how good they work? I realize they only gauge surface temp but I would think it should be somewhat accurate if you give it a quick stir before taking a reading.:confused:

ryan richards
12-27-2008, 07:14 PM
A friend showed me one this morning and I got the same idea. It's a MTEXP infrared thermometer and costs about $30.

"well that came up in chat one night was thinking about doing the same thing!"

Did you actually use one?

"problem is the survace is to shiney and you would not get a accurate readeing."

What was the model and brand of the infrared thermometer you were using?
How far did you have it from the hot lead?
What was the temperature variation between the infrared thermometer and your melt pot thermometer?
How many temperature readings did you make?

ddeaton
12-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I was wondering the same. I need to get one for work, and this might get me off my butt to order one. I can test this out as I have some industrial digital temp contollers at work also. I could wire one up and dip the thermocouple in for a good temp read, then compare.

Kraschenbirn
12-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I've got one I picked up at Harbor Freight. As has been mentioned, it's awfully difficult to get accurate readings off the shiney surface of a properly fluxed melt but, before I broke down and bought a regular casting themometer, thru trial and error I developed a chart of "proportional" temperatures by taking reading off the exposed cast iron of my Saeco bottom-pour pot. For example, a reading of 560-570 deg. F off the exposed cast iron top of the pot was right on the money for the 3 parts #2/1 part Lino alloy I use for rifle boolits.

However, I have found the infrared to be quite useful for setting the home-made heater on my Lyman 450 lubrisizer. An exterior reading of 103-105 deg F off the sizer housing is just right for Jake's Ceresin Purple...fully filled grooves but the lube is hard enough for handling when the boolits are ejected.

Bill

mikenbarb
12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Hmmm, Sounds like something to consider if I can get one cheap. Im thinking if I set the ladle in it till it reaches temp I would take a reading off of that and bump it either way.Just pull the ladle up some and zap it to see where the temps at. I will have to experiment a little to find a way to get an accurate reading but its odd that the lead reflection messes with it because they use them on galvanized metal and stainless steel.:( Darn! I thought this was gonna be easy.lol.

Papa Foxtrot
12-27-2008, 10:24 PM
If you're using a cast iron pot, then the iron should be nearly the same temp as the melt. I saw someone post a recommendation to float a penny in the melt and shoot it with the IR thermometer.

HeavyMetal
12-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I have an Infared thermometer and got wierd readings when I tried to use it on my pot.

Didn't think about reflectivity until you fella's brought it up!

I think the idea of shooting the ladle is a good one, as good pots will have some insulation in them and trying to shoot of the side near the alloy is still going to have reflection issues!

Currently milling a Saeco mold that some ham handed idiot used a deremel tool on to remove the bevel base. This dummy didn't even have enough sense to hold the block's together when he did it! He ground them seperately!

When I get it "right" and Lee ment my three GB molds this week I will try this IR gizmo again and see if I can get it to make sense!

Will post on how it goes, but don't expect anything till Wends or so.

Dennis Eugene
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
you guys are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exsist. Just get a regular thermometer and never look back. Dennis

454PB
12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
I've used a COPPER penny on the surface, just keep in mind that the new ones are zinc. A large (.45) gas check works well, too.

yondering
12-28-2008, 02:10 AM
I've used a COPPER penny on the surface, just keep in mind that the new ones are zinc. A large (.45) gas check works well, too.

Yup, pennies from 1982 and later are copper plated zinc, careful with those in your melt.

cajun shooter
12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Mike, I bought from Sears an electronic kit that contained an IR temp meter. I tried it on my melt before reading the directions. It will not read any reflective surface. The temps jump all over. It's main use is for engine block temps, or point it at your wife when she gets upset to see any changes.

mikenbarb
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
LOL Cajun. Have you tried the copper penny trick yet to see if it works?

cajun shooter
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
No, I have'nt but will try using the GC today as 454 said. Will let you know. Have a full pot in the RCBS waiting. I've got to load up some more 38's to use in CAS as my 2 45 rifles are still not ready. I have one that is at Taurus for repairs and a 92 being built by Steve Young in Texas.

mikenbarb
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks and please let us know how you make out so I know what im going to buy.

hiram
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Someone here had bought a 3-4 thermocouples at harbor freight. He offered them for sale here and I bought one. Very happy with it. It goes to 1000d. The thermocouple probe was just 2 wires with no sheath. I got a brass tube from the hobby store, folded and flattened one end, slipped the wires in and I was good to go.

mikenbarb
12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
That might work also. I will have to try a LP gas one and see what happens. Just zap the end and theres your temp.