PDA

View Full Version : Buying Peitta Cap & Ball Online?

Dak47
03-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Sorry if this has been beat to death, but would you buy an Italian BP revolver online, without checking function and finish? I get that most places will take the return but I want to avoid the "contact the manufacture" scenario..... I think they have come a long way since I goofed around with them 15-18yrs ago but I have not handled any of the new stuff either.

Winger Ed.
03-14-2021, 06:34 PM
If it was new, and one from a reputable company, I'd do it.

William Yanda
03-14-2021, 06:37 PM
I bought mine on line at least 5 years ago, from Cabela's I believe. There was an issue with the action, Pietta sent me a new hand. In the meantime I had tweaked the spring. Now I have a spare.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2021, 07:42 PM
I have one that I purchased new many years ago and it's fine.

While I don't think you'll run into problems returning a bad one to a reputable retailer, you might run into problems if THEY don't have a replacement.

The good news is they are very simple firearms and you can often repair minor problems if you encounter any.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-14-2021, 08:01 PM
Go for it! Pietta is much improved from 15 years ago when Uberti was the "always reliable" and Pietta was known for occasional defects. Today it's a toss-up for good quality. If still nervous, before you buy ask about their return/warranty policy, and then let your intellect guide you.

DG

Dak47
03-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Thank You Gents, the friendly push I needed to talk myself into it...... Work is a beast, getting the time to go visit during store hours is a tough one, so we will proceed this way.

bedbugbilly
03-15-2021, 12:47 PM
I just purchased a new in the box Pietta from a member here who had purchased it from Cabelas - an excellent revolver - great fit and finish. My "herd" includes a combination of both Uberit and Pietta - four of 'em are Pietta and all are great revolvers. I have purchased a number of both Uberti and Pietta on-line - every one of them has been well made, excellent fit and finish and function fine right out of the box. Go for it . . . it's hard to find any of them in stock - the Italians got hit hard by Covid and I'm guessing it will be a while before supply and imports catch up to the demand - like everything else.

Geezer in NH
03-17-2021, 10:53 AM
Cabelas will not ship them anymore you must pick up in store.

farmbif
03-17-2021, 12:02 PM
cap and ball pistols are pretty simple. I don't think there is a whole lot to go wrong with them. the first one I got my buddy at the gun shop gave me for $25 because there was something wrong with it. I ordered all new springs and stuff for it, when the parts arrived I took it apart it turned out one of the springs was upside down. it still works great to this day. but can't seem too get it cleaned and oiled enough to stop corrosion. but that may be that ive used Pyrodex in it.

Soundguy
03-17-2021, 12:40 PM
I bought pieta an UberTi cimaaron all the time