PDA

View Full Version : 9x18 Mak

solderboy
03-14-2021, 02:19 PM
What projectiles do you use to load a 9mm Mak, does anyone cast for it
I have tryed looking for loading info and I am finding almost nothing.
One load I found said bullet dia. was 364, aren't they 355 like 9mm luger?
I am also not finding anything about case length.

Any help will be appreciated.

poppy42
03-14-2021, 02:37 PM
No 9x18 (9mm Makarov) dia. Bullet is either .365, .364,or .363 depending on What firearm you’re shooting them out of. Not all firearms chambered for the 9 x 18 round are Makarov’s! A true Makarov is a Russian designed firearm. Typically constructed in the countries like Russia, East Germany, and Bulgaria. Several of the independent eastern bloc countries made firearms that although were chambered for the 9 x 18 round they had very little in common with an actual Makarov other than the 9 x 18 round it’s self. Poland and Czechoslovakia designed and made their own firearms that were chambered for the universal eastern bloc caliber of 9 x 18, but we’re not Makarov’s. Lee, I believe, stil makes a two cavity mold specifically designed for the Makarov round (drops bullets and .365). As does accurate, I believe Noe, as did Lyman. Although I don’t believe the Lyman mold is still in production. Lee is probably going to be your least expensive. As for Jacketed bullets, at one time Sierra produced 95 grain full metal jacket and hollow points. Load data for those bullets is still available if you contact Sierra. There is also data available in the Lyman Cast Boolets fourth edition. The lead manual. And the lime in 50th addiction. You are correct in that there is not a tremendous amount of low data out there but it is available. Hope this helps

Bigslug
03-14-2021, 06:23 PM
Link to page 9 of Accurate Molds catalog offerings which includes purpose-designed 9x18 slugs : http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=9#catalog-anchor

The Wiki entry for the Mak - presumably correct on specs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%c3%9718mm_Makarov

Accurate's nominal spec seems to have them dropping at 0.365", but Tom is VERY GOOD at shifting on the fly to spec the mold about any way you like - including doing stuff like upscaling the diameter of a .380 mold you like the profile of.

Based on my own experience loading .380 and .32 ACP, I'd slug your Mak's bore to see exactly what it wants and ask Tom to create a tumble lube version of his 37-100S, dropping 0.001"over your groove diameter with your alloy of choice. If lube sizing or powder coat is your thing, again, he can accommodate. Main thing would be get the lube inside the case body and to taper the nose so, thus seated, it's not jamming on the lands when chambering.

poppy42
03-14-2021, 07:06 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%c3%9718mm_Makarov.
One thing I can tell you this wrong with the specs is the 9 x 18 Makarov round is not a tapered case it is straight walled! It’s one of the things that makes it so easy to make Makarov brass out of fired 9 mm parabellum brass! 9x19 is tapered. Once it’s fired it’s now straight walled! All that’s left to do is trim a millimeter off the length and you now have 9 x 18 Makarov brass

hoodat
03-14-2021, 08:42 PM
Here is the mold I've been using. These work great - accuracy and all. My load is with Bullseye or HP-38, and Alox lube. Powder coat would be great. jd

poppy42
03-14-2021, 09:58 PM
Here is the mold I've been using. These work great - accuracy and all. My load is with Bullseye or HP-38, and Alox lube. Powder coat would be great. jd

Yep that’s the Lee mold! I’ve used it for years, cast Thousands of boolets with it. Works great! I’m talking same hole accuracy with both my P64 and my Makarov. Although I do prefer my Lyman mold

poppy42
03-14-2021, 09:59 PM
I wonder what happened to the op?

hoodat
03-14-2021, 11:01 PM
I wonder what happened to the op?

I dunno, we must have scairt him off.:wink:

I'm happy for the thread though, cause I haven't hauled my Mac out and used it lately. I need to change that though, because I happen to have a few thousand rounds of reloads, russian, and even some chinese ammo I think.

I love the Macs, except for the wimpy sights, and used to use mine for my carry piece. jd

poppy42
03-15-2021, 12:14 AM
I dunno, we must have scairt him off.:wink:

I'm happy for the thread though, cause I haven't hauled my Mac out and used it lately. I need to change that though, because I happen to have a few thousand rounds of reloads, russian, and even some chinese ammo I think.

I love the Macs, except for the wimpy sights, and used to use mine for my carry piece. jd

Sights? What sights? Ya mean it’s got sights? All these years I’ve just been pointing n Shooting and I still hit the same hole! I wonder what happen if I actually use the sights? Oh and it’s a Mak not a Mac! Lol

poppy42
03-15-2021, 12:25 AM
Ah were was that made? Probably just the quality of the photo on my phone. Bus ah where is the hammer?

poppy42
03-15-2021, 12:38 AM
Oh and I just re-read your op. Case Length? 18mm! I hope you’re not worried about trimming your brass! It’s a semi auto and chambered for the 9x18! Made in a Soviet bloc country! Read my above post about making your own brass! Or pm me!

mf79
03-18-2021, 12:59 PM
I have a box labeled 9mm mak and its .364, also have some .362 and .356 from a batch of stuff a while ago. the 362 and .56 is loose so not sure but the .364 is labeled as mak