PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 PPB suggestions

Claudius
03-14-2021, 08:40 AM
Is there anyone using the cartridge in the subject with a PP bullet? any advice is welcome.

Bent Ramrod
03-14-2021, 11:12 AM
I have some .38-55 data here under the heading “Paper Patch Lite.” The Search function should bring it up.

seahawk
03-16-2021, 07:17 PM
paper patch lite

Gunlaker
03-17-2021, 08:30 PM
I see no one has given you any advice yet. I shoot PP in .38-55's but only with breech seated bullets. It's slightly different, but the cartridge works well with PP bullets. The main difference I find, when comparing with PP'ing the big .45 cartridges, is that the bullets don't seem to bump up quite as much. I find that the paper doesn't get cut as finely as with the big cartridges.

I use a 330gr elliptical bullet that Steve Brooks cut for me. It shoots quite nicely in 16:1 with Seth Cole 55W paper with either Swiss Fg, or Swiss 1.5. You can fit a fair bit of powder in the small case. I've been using about 55gr recently, but have managed to fit 58+gr into a case.

I had an older lot of Goex Fg that it did well with too, but I'm out of that lot.

One thing about the smaller bores is that they foul a little more and are more sensitive to fouling. You really want to make sure the barrel is clean and dry between shots. Even more so than the big cartridges.

I hope that is useful info.

Chris.

Claudius
03-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much for your info, very useful.