PDA

View Full Version : AA#2 powder and the Lee Autodisc capacity chart

welderboy44
03-14-2021, 08:27 AM
I have the Lee autodisc on my Classic Turret press. Whenever I use a new powder I refer to the chart and it has always got me in the ballpark for correct grains dropped. I may have to move up or back a hole to fine tune. I bought AA#2 to try and wanted to drop 3.9-4.0 grains for my Lee TL 124 grain 9mm bullet. The chart says .32 disc drops 3.8 grains, it's actual drop was 3.1 grains. I had to move up 4 more holes to the .43 disc before it would finally drop 4.1 grains. The volume in my case was a little bit over half full. I verified the powder drop using two beam scales, RCBS and the Lee scale. I have never used this powder before and it concerns me that I was so far off of my disc after using the chart. I have used many different powders and this is the first time I have been this far off. Since I have no experience with this powder I am looking for advice. I did not load any bullets because of my uncertainty. Anyone with AA#2 experience could you please steer me in the correct direction. I have 6 other powders I could use at this time to load with, but I wanted to give AA#2 a shot. Thank you for any advice.

solderboy
03-14-2021, 01:54 PM
That doesn't seem too far off to me.
If the .32cc disk drops 3.1 gr, then Math will tell you that .43cc should be around 4.1 to 4.2 gr.

one thing I do to fine tune the disks, is to put a small bit of adhesive tape in the hole, to reduce the charge by .1 or .2
Varying the size of the tape will vary the charge reduced.

jim147
03-14-2021, 02:59 PM
Sounds like that powder is fluffier then when lee tested it who knows how many years ago.

onelight
03-14-2021, 03:13 PM
You should always go by what your scale says the Lee chart is just a guide , keep a log of what disk orifice you use for each charge weight with that powder and go by that in the future .

welderboy44
03-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Thank you for the responses. I know my beam scales are accurate but I just wanted some some reassurance. With powder involved, I would rather ask some questions and be certain rather than gamble with it. Thanks again and I did load 100 of them today with 3.8 grains of Bullseye, now I will go load 10 each of the AA#2 with 3 different grain drops to see how my CZ-75B likes the new powder.

welderboy44
03-14-2021, 04:19 PM
I like the tape idea to fine tune. Thanks

jimlj
03-15-2021, 10:20 AM
I bought one of these several years ago. It makes adjusting the autodisk so simple.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012823739
No need to disassemble the powder measure to adjust the load.

gwpercle
03-15-2021, 02:37 PM
Lots to lots of powder vary in density ... not uncommon and the density variations give the differences you are seeing ... I wouldn't be concerned , you are checking the weight with a beam scale and the scale is telling you the weight so go with that .
The chart is merely a ball park guide ... I've also noticed these variances from time to time .
Gary

AlHunt
03-15-2021, 02:56 PM
I have the Lee autodisc on my Classic Turret press. Whenever I use a new powder I refer to the chart and it has always got me in the ballpark for correct grains dropped. I may have to move up or back a hole to fine tune. I bought AA#2 to try and wanted to drop 3.9-4.0 grains for my Lee TL 124 grain 9mm bullet. The chart says .32 disc drops 3.8 grains, it's actual drop was 3.1 grains. I had to move up 4 more holes to the .43 disc before it would finally drop 4.1 grains. The volume in my case was a little bit over half full. I verified the powder drop using two beam scales, RCBS and the Lee scale. I have never used this powder before and it concerns me that I was so far off of my disc after using the chart. I have used many different powders and this is the first time I have been this far off. Since I have no experience with this powder I am looking for advice. I did not load any bullets because of my uncertainty. Anyone with AA#2 experience could you please steer me in the correct direction. I have 6 other powders I could use at this time to load with, but I wanted to give AA#2 a shot. Thank you for any advice.

The Little Dandy rotors are off by 1 or 2 also, with AA #2. Can't remember which way.