PDA

View Full Version : Genuine New Testament & Old Testament

gondwana
03-14-2021, 06:04 AM
Please folks, tell me. I wish to purchase the most genuine copies of the new and old testaments but I cannot for the life of me discern which ones to purchase. Please, any and all suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

William Yanda
03-14-2021, 07:29 AM
Assuming that you are referencing English translations, I can only suggest that you inform yourself about the history of Bible translation. My take is that man cannot improve what God has given us.

dverna
03-14-2021, 07:42 AM
I believe there are over 400 English translations. Lord...and I sincerely mean THE LORD only knows which version is "right"...or if any of them are perfect.

I use the Quest study bible as it gives some history and background to many of the scriptures. It may not be the best but it has helped me understand.

It is interesting how the translation of one word can affect the meaning; and how our perception of that word, verses what may have meant to the ancients, can lead us down a rabbit hole.

Good luck.

Pine Baron
03-14-2021, 08:02 AM
As dverna has said, there are a lot of "translations". With that being said, I prefer my old battered "King James Version" (KJV) that I received upon completion of Sunday school in 1960. It's the one I've read the most and learned to understand the best. Recently I've gone to the "New King James Version" (NKJV) as it's a little easier to read for this old muddled brain.

Biblegateway is a good place look online.
https://www.biblegateway.com/

You can get bibles at "Faithgateway".
https://store.faithgateway.com/pages/bibles?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nav_bibles

If you're new to the faith try " The New Believer's Bible" at Harvest.
https://store.harvest.org/product/new-believers-bible-first-steps-for-new-christians/

I hope this helps. Go in peace.

Newboy
03-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Do you know any other languages?

Do you understand the difference between a word for word and a thought for thought translation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gondwana
03-14-2021, 08:17 AM
As dverna has said, there are a lot of "translations". With that being said, I prefer my old battered "King James Version" (KJV) that I received upon completion of Sunday school in 1960. It's the one I've read the most and learned to understand the best. Recently I've gone to the "New King James Version" (NKJV) as it's a little easier to read for this old muddled brain.

Biblegateway is a good place look online.
https://www.biblegateway.com/

You can get bibles at "Faithgateway".
https://store.faithgateway.com/pages/bibles?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nav_bibles

If you're new to the faith try " The New Believer's Bible" at Harvest.
https://store.harvest.org/product/new-believers-bible-first-steps-for-new-christians/

I hope this helps. Go in peace.

Sincere & Genuine thanks to you Pine Baron.

1hole
03-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Considering that the various books we have in any Bible were written at least two thousand years ago in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Latin and some word meanings back then drifted a bit just as English words drift today; I remember when someone who was "gay" meant they were "happy"! And, remembering that there is no single complete collection of the original texts, and knowing that many words can be translated differently but mean the same thing, it's amazing to me that today's versions match as well as they do.

Now, in spite of all the indignation between advocates, the NIV, NASB, NKJV are all good so far as the intended spiritual message goes. Seems God protects His word pretty well even tho some deceitful changes have been made in the Jehovah Witness' New World Translation which is a rewrite and not a translation at all! Then there are groups like the Mormons and Christian Science (which is neither Christian nor science) and 7th Day Adventists, and some say Roman Catholics, who add a lot of non-godly writings and claim they are equal or superior to Holy Scripture (gag!).

Most of us grew up with the KJV but its 1611 English grammar is hard for many to follow and it contains the most incorrect word translations (none of which matters for critical doctrine). I love it but I recognise it's limits and I'd NEVER suggest any new Christian try to study it!

All of that is why I recommend the New King James Version.

missionary5155
03-14-2021, 09:42 AM
Good morning
Your question of "which Translation" is a big one. But always remember God Himself stated His Word is eternal and He preserves it. If you will sincerely search God will lead. God Who wants you to know Him and walk in His Truth will reward all who truly hunger and thirst for Him our loving Creature. Pray alot while you read and search.

Steer clear of those translations made by singular religious groups. Those who proclaim they are exclusively the only true witnesses. They all have an agenda! Beware of works by individuals and small group translations starting about 1950. If you want to read one that is pretty well done try Phillips "The New Testament in Modern English". But again this was a one man work but one of the best. And also realize these are only my experiences. I will account to God for all I write and how I seek Him.

William Tyndale (1450's) did a pretty good job putting the New Testament into "Old English". Also translated the Old Testament which is rather rough but far better than what else was available. Paid for his work being persecuted, imprisoned and under sentence of being burned at the stake. I have a Tyndale New Testament and use a 1955 Websters Dictionary to be sure I understand what 550 year old English words meant.

The King James Bible (1611) is based on his translation work but being translated by the Church of England does have some leanings to their teachings. The Puritans also had influence in the work and fought to keep the translation true. But I rank it 95% as being accurate with the intent of Gods Truth. Again I use a 1955 dictionary to be sure with those old words. Last "revision" was about 1750.

I also read and compare the above two with a New King James to get the intent of the words in the Old Testament. I use an Englishman's Greek Concordance to compare how specific Greek words were translated in the New Testament. I have to write the King James Bible does pretty good. The New King James also does pretty good.

I do have Greek dictionaries to investigate how words were used 2000 years ago in common writing. I have several Greek New Testaments to verify the Greek words and how they relate to the context. I am not a ""scholar" but can look into word use and meaning. Again the King James does very well. The New King James also. Ignore their notes in the margins. The Tyndale New Testament (1450) is also well done. I could not do any better and he had far little to work with. We owe alot to him and those who gave their lives to put Gods Truth in national languages.
I also speak and read Spanish. I use a 1909 and 1960 Spanish translation to better understand and teach Gods Word here in Peru. They did about as well as the King James Bible with the same religious leanings. But again I use all the above tools I have listed. I do not trust any man or religious group with my Knowing God and walking with Him.
So there is my simple view. Get a King James and read the New Testament 100 times and you will be headed well. Get a New King James and compare. Get an older Websters Dictionary (1930-1960) Yard sales cost maybe 50 cents. Libraries ay have give aways !! Ask old people.
Buy a Tyndales New Testament some day and rejoice how God made Truth available in English.
Mike in Peru

WebMonkey
03-14-2021, 01:54 PM
a relatively 'newer' translation, the 'Christian Standard Bible' is my usual suggestion for people wanting a bible.

the Holman company makes the one i use the most and is a 'study' bible.
i use a parallel bible also for word study/theme study.

i can't improve upon the information in the above posts.

the Bible wasn't written in english so something's gotta give.

read up on how each translation was arrived at and if you are concerned even deeper, read 'who' did the translation.

good luck

Wayne Smith
03-14-2021, 02:05 PM
If you have ever studied another language you realize that there is no literal translation from one language to another, underlying concepts and assumptions don't match. One broad example - in the Hebrew/Aramaic tradition I am what I do. In the Greek tradition I am what I think - and this has fundamental understanding issues. To 'repent' in Hebrew tradition is not to say I am sorry, it is to go and do the opposite. If you think about the commands of Jesus they make more sense and cause more disruption in the Hebrew thought than in the Greek thought.

All that is to say every translation is a compromise - by definition and necessity. Years ago before the internet was invented I was on a Missions Conference Committee and they decided the theme verse for the Conference - I asked them what translation they wanted to use and they asked me what I meant. I told them I would check my library, and back then I found 26 valid translations of that verse! All essentially said the same thing, but each one with a different emphasis.

The upshot of this is that when I study a passage I will have at least three and as many as seven or eight translations open in front of me. I do not read Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. I am dependent on the translators and each of my primary Bibles has a relatively long section in the front that describes the translation philosophy that was followed in the translation process. When I was at Biola University some of the Seminary students were doing a final beta check of the NASB Bible for the Holman Corp. That was over 40 years ago and now the Holman Bible is the follow on of the NASB.

There is a lot to learn about translations and your best bet is to get several. Scholarship continues and language changes, English more rapidly than some. While I am comfortable with my old NIV and NASB I picked up the Holman when it came out a few years ago, mostly out of curiosity but I have enjoyed using it.

gondwana
03-14-2021, 08:57 PM
Thank you 1hole.

gondwana
03-14-2021, 08:57 PM
If you have ever studied another language you realize that there is no literal translation from one language to another, underlying concepts and assumptions don't match. One broad example - in the Hebrew/Aramaic tradition I am what I do. In the Greek tradition I am what I think - and this has fundamental understanding issues. To 'repent' in Hebrew tradition is not to say I am sorry, it is to go and do the opposite. If you think about the commands of Jesus they make more sense and cause more disruption in the Hebrew thought than in the Greek thought.

All that is to say every translation is a compromise - by definition and necessity. Years ago before the internet was invented I was on a Missions Conference Committee and they decided the theme verse for the Conference - I asked them what translation they wanted to use and they asked me what I meant. I told them I would check my library, and back then I found 26 valid translations of that verse! All essentially said the same thing, but each one with a different emphasis.

The upshot of this is that when I study a passage I will have at least three and as many as seven or eight translations open in front of me. I do not read Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. I am dependent on the translators and each of my primary Bibles has a relatively long section in the front that describes the translation philosophy that was followed in the translation process. When I was at Biola University some of the Seminary students were doing a final beta check of the NASB Bible for the Holman Corp. That was over 40 years ago and now the Holman Bible is the follow on of the NASB.

There is a lot to learn about translations and your best bet is to get several. Scholarship continues and language changes, English more rapidly than some. While I am comfortable with my old NIV and NASB I picked up the Holman when it came out a few years ago, mostly out of curiosity but I have enjoyed using it.

Thank you Wayne Smith.

.429&H110
03-14-2021, 11:35 PM
My church is King James only
This is cribbed from BibleHub.com:

The Tower of Babel New King James

1Now the whole earth had one language and one [a]speech. 2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there. 3Then they said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and [b]bake them thoroughly.” They had brick for stone, and they had asphalt for mortar. 4And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

5But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” 8So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city. 9Therefore its name is called [c]Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.

KJV
The Tower of Babel

(Daniel 1:1-7)

1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. 3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. 4And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. 5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. 6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. 8So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. 9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Same story, different day. I like the part where the Lord came down.
If everybody in a Bible study brings a different version we are confounded.
Hi! to Pastor, he reads this space...

Wayne Smith
03-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Every English, Spanish, Latin, etc. Bible is a translation - Each and every one, including the King James. Jesus didn't speak Latin, didn't speak English, and God has protected His word for thousands of years. While the Bible is Holy there is nothing Holy about any particular translation, including the King James Version. That version was compiled by committee as well. James was a Scot and a Presbyterian, became King of England and discovered that there were various versions of the Bible that did not completely agree. He challenged the English and Scottish divines to come up with a consensus Bible with the available information. The result is the King James Version, a delightful read and very poetic. Unfortunately the earliest Greek and Hebrew they had to work from was from the 4th Century. We now have 1st Century BC Old Testament and early 2nd Century New Testament Greek and thus more accurate sources than were available to the King James divines. That is the fundamental difference between the newer translations and the KJV.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Where I listen and study, the King James is used, so that's what I currently have.

At one time, when I had joined a church, after leaving the Church I grew up in, I learned quickly that they used a different translation. Most of the time, I was confused during bible studies. So, as a uneducated student, I bought a parallel Bible, which has 4 translations side by side...thinking I could better understand why the words were different from one translation to another. That made me even more confused.

Since then, I have been a member of several different churches, and each had used different translations. I learned to use whatever translation they were using, because having the same translation as others in your bible study group, or Church, lessens the confusion. So that is my suggestion. If you have plans of leading a group, I would suspect you would already have enough experience with one translation to have a favored version.

OK, with all that said, I will offer my opinion as a uneducated student. The King James is nice, because there is the Strong's Concordance, which is fairly easy to use, to lookup the original words from the Greek, Hebrew, and/or Aramaic...so you don't need to know these languages to do deep investigation of a bible verse during in-depth study.

Right now, we are in I and II Kings, and it seems there is poorly translated words peppered throughout each chapter. Reading it "as translated" with a Modern American brain...some things just don't make sense, until you lookup the original word and find that a better word will make it understandable in my Modern American brain. I see you are from Australia, maybe I should use the term Modern English speaking western nation, instead?

That's my 2¢ as a uneducated student

backhoe
03-15-2021, 09:55 AM
Just buy the King James version of the Bible.

dannyd
03-15-2021, 10:08 AM
Glad I don't believe what people say about the King James Bible or I would have never got saved. If God (Jesus) can save your soul then he definitely can get His word to you in a book you can understand. But here is the key to Understanding the King James Bible: Read it: just four pages a day and you do it in a year. When I quit school I was in the ninth grade and I have very little problems read the KJB.

1hole
03-15-2021, 11:17 PM
Thank you 1hole.

You're welcome. I'm old now (80) but I was once young and I now know a lot of what I "knew" then was wrong. And a lot of that was from a blind belief that the Bible and doctrines of my parents and grandparents was obviously the best ever. I now know it isn't. The KJV is still very good even tho it can be some tedious reading in some places.

All the talk about the merits of this or that translation miss the point. As correctly stated above there can be no straight translation of anything from one language to another.

Massive differences in grammar and subtle differences in word meanings demand that every translation is, in fact, just a version of what the writers worked with as best they could understand the fragmented bits of old scriptures can be read and don't sweat the small stuff; none of that trivial stuff bothers me very much.

Bottom line, you're a bright guy, get one of the mainstream Bible versions that's easy to read and spend time in it, you'll get it together soon enough!

Anyone thinking they want to do "translations" in a recliner should first get an "Interlinear Bible", which IS a "straight translation". Then get a complete concordance (a listing of every word in the Bible and where its used) so you can follow any word in different contexts; that helps a lot. Then add several different Bible dictionaries because even they don't define all words the same!

As you read look for what is said in context, not just whatever you've "always been taught"; THAT opens doors for some serious learning instead of just reinforcing whatever you've "always heard" that things mean. That alone can allow serious illumination of some confused teachings!

God bless your studies!

Wayne Smith
03-16-2021, 09:29 AM
As someone, maybe me, said earlier in this thread, it is very clear that the Bible deserves study, not just reading. If you want to just read the story get one of the easily read paraphrase versions like The Book, and sit down and read the stories like a newspaper. It's not adequate to study but it is a good way to get an overview, the basic story of the Bible.

When I study a book of the Bible I get a Commentary written by one who made his own translation - thus I know he knows the original language and works with it. One of the basic tenants of hermeneutics (the study of how to understand Scripture) is to understand the passage as the first hearers did - and that means learning a lot about the culture and assumptions of the first people to hear it, whether that was first century Phillipi or third century BC Mesopotamia or Egypt It is absolutely amazing what we have learned about those cultures from archeology. A good commentary will illuminate this understanding of the Scripture and I have learned a tremendous amount this way.

dannyd
03-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Everyone tells me the King James Bible is hard to read. To Microsoft Word its written on a 7 grade level guest that's why I understand it only got as far as the 9th grade.

1hole
03-16-2021, 09:23 PM
Danny, I agree that KJV English words are easy enough to read. What's difficult, even for adults, is to follow the 1611 grammar and get the true message in our modern minds; THAT is by no means on a 7th grade level. Therefore, we NEED Bibles written as we are accustomed to read.

ioon44
03-17-2021, 08:01 AM
https://www.blueletterbible.org

Here is a good study tool to compare different Bible translations.

I agree with 1hole "Therefore, we NEED Bibles written as we are accustomed to read."

The KJV English is like 1789 grammar, 1611 English is not readable.

Brassmonkey
03-17-2021, 08:56 AM
I read the Bible nkjv twice cover to cover a few years back and felt I wanted more to read. Then again there is that part in ecclesiastes about wanting too much knowledge and it's just vanity. If there is more to be learned I'll find out when it matters.

zarrinvz24
03-17-2021, 09:05 AM
The Bible is the most translated and most accurate translation in history. As mentioned earlier, the different versions are all important. Similar to the guidance that you should consult numerous manuals for loading data, so too with the Bible. Consult multiple versions to ensure that you firmly grasp the intent of what’s been written.

1hole
03-17-2021, 01:32 PM
https://www.blueletterbible.org.... we NEED Bibles written as we are accustomed to read."

The KJV English is like 1789 grammar, 1611 English is not readable.

Lord, isn't THAT the truth! My KJV only friends get quite twisted up when I point out that their treasured 1611 KJV is not from 1611!

I forget the exact numbers but King James English changed rapidly during the 1600 to 1800 period. Thus the English (Presbyterian) king's Bible went through something like six revisions in its first couple hundred years just so it would be understandable.

In view of that, to suggest that the English language and the KJV Bible has been frozen in place from that point in time is foolish. There were no kingly "thees, therefores, thou arts", etc., in the original languages, language changes and we all know it. For one Book to deliver the SAME message over time demands that we have updated versions as the language changes or we lose parts of it.

Bottom line, read and study any Bible version you wish but don't denigrate the faith or wisdom of those who disagree with you. I love the KJV for what it is but I also recognise its limitations. Everyone should recognise that Peter, Paul and Silas never preached a single word from the KJV but they still got God's message across; we can too! :)

Traffer
03-17-2021, 01:44 PM
This has been my source for online Bible for about 15 years now. It works well for me. The function that shows many different translations at the same time is useful. Before the internet I used the NIV 1984 with the addition of Thayer's Lexicon and a Parallel Bible with KJV NIV(1984) a couple others AND GREEK. I found that looking up words in Thayer's Lexicon was the very best way to get CLEAR meanings down to the nitty gritty. I DO NOT recommend the NIV 2011 version. I believe it is corrupted by Satan's minions.
https://biblehub.com/

Traffer
03-17-2021, 01:52 PM
This is the only way I found to use the NIV 1984 on my computer... If anyone out there has a computer study Bible for the NIV 1984 Let me know how to get it please.
This is a download of The New International Version 1984 of the Holy Bible...It is in my opinion the best translation in English ever done.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbn8fxqqo4f2b9p/NIVref.pdf?dl=0

alamogunr
03-17-2021, 01:53 PM
It took me awhile to get there but now I prefer the New King James Version. I started with the KJV and stayed with it for many years. The particular edition I used had pronunciations for most of the proper names. Before that I was always distracted by names of persons or places. My personal concept of correct pronunciation was usually way off and being able to pronounce a name correctly kept me on track. Just my personal shortcoming.

I haven't noticed many recommending the English Standard Version. It is considered an accurate, conservative translation. I have one copy that I don't use much due to extremely small print. The publishers considered it standard print. Apparently, each publisher is free to classify print according to their standards. I have seen large print bibles that barely made it to small print. Accurate Giant print might make for a very large, heavy book. Print size would seem to be whatever you can live with.

One version that I have always heard is most accurate is the American Standard Version. It is somewhat out of popular usage today. My copy is also plagued by small print but I still use it when I am conflicted by the treatment of some passage or other in another translation.

wv109323
03-18-2021, 11:23 PM
There is a 26 translators Bible. It as the KJV and then 25 other translations of critical words or phrases.
I like the Life Application Study Bible for commentary and a NAV for reading. I don't think I helped much.

GhostHawk
03-19-2021, 06:51 AM
One thing to consider. You can download a copy of the 1611 King James Bible in a Red Letter version where Christs words appear in red. There are several download options. I like Epub as my book baazar ebook reader handles it well.

https://archive.org/details/1611TheKingJamesRedLetterEdition

If you have a phone, tablet, or laptop that is often with you this may be one option.

Also there are some nice options, like a table of contents that when you click on a book in the bible jumps you there instantly.
And a search. No more endless flipping through pages looking for something.

I really like the Red Letter version. As it tells me where to really pay attention.

Best of all, it weighs nothing, and is free.

1hole
03-19-2021, 09:46 AM
I like the Biblical "red letter" option but some folk seem to over-emphasize that, remember that the red passages are as much a translation version as anything else. ALL of scripture was (originally) directly inspired by God. Therefore, if His inspiration matters to us, no one part of the Bible should automatically be more important than any other. IMHO.

Wayne Smith
03-20-2021, 07:45 AM
I like the Biblical "red letter" option but some folk seem to over-emphasize that, remember that the red passages are as much a translation version as anything else. ALL of scripture was (originally) directly inspired by God. Therefore, if His inspiration matters to us, no one part of the Bible should automatically be more important than any other. IMHO.

Interesting point. I had not thought about it before but I agree.

wv109323
03-20-2021, 06:02 PM
This discussion is important. I have researched this topic pretty well.
There are about 5800 ancient documents of the New Testament. I have read that no two are perfectly identical. So there has to be research as to which manuscript is most accurate. This is know as textual critism. This was done by man and therein lies the problem. Not all men agree what is correct or optiminal.
Not all people will agree what the same translation means. My advice is to get 2 or 3 versions and when you don't understand study the text in a different translation.
Not all Christians are in total agreement over many passages. BUT there are several translations that will get you to heaven. After all that is the goal.
Just as important as to know the truth ,is to know what is not true. The Bible says "study" which is not read one time and fully understand but to look at the evidence and determine the truth. Like said earlier is don't sweat the small stuff. There are beliefs that are essential for eternal life any many that are nonessential.
Paul went to the Jews to determine what was necessary for Gentiles to be saved. The list was; do not worship idols, do not commit adultry, do not eat the meat from animals sacrificed to false gods.
Get a Bible and read it. Join a Bible study group(even internet) and be open minded. What you don't understand needs more study.

Char-Gar
03-21-2021, 11:47 AM

Wayne has the "puro manteca" (pure lard). This means in Mexican Spanish, the pure truth. Translating any language to another is a very quirky proposition.

Thundarstick
03-22-2021, 05:17 AM
Wayne has the "puro manteca" (pure lard). This means in Mexican Spanish, the pure truth. Translating any language to another is a very quirky proposition.

If you don't believe that, sit down with a manual for a Japanese instrument that's been translated into English. You'll be scratching your head in short order thinking, what does this mean!

fiberoptik
03-24-2021, 01:18 PM
My personal favorites are the Dake Study Bible and the Amplified Bible. I use them side by side. I also have a Parallel Bible with 4 versions side by side.
Being bilingual, I have noticed some interesting differences. Example:

“And the small lizard is easy to catch as it clings to the walls with its hands, yet it can be found inside a king’s palace.”
**Proverbs‬ *30:28‬ *TPT‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/1849/pro.30.28.tpt

the spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings’ palaces.
Proverbs 30:28 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Proverbs%2030:28&version=AKJV

You may grasp the lizard with your hands, Yet it is in kings’ palaces.
Proverbs 30:28 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Proverbs%2030:28&version=AMP

“The spider skillfully grasps with its hands, And it is in kings’ palaces.”
**Proverbs‬ *30:28‬ *NKJV‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/114/pro.30.28.nkjv

“and the spiders, which you can catch in your hand, yet they are in the king’s palace.”
**Mishlei (Pro)‬ *30:28‬ *CJB‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/1275/pro.30.28.cjb

“The lizard taketh hold with her hands, Yet is she in kings’ palaces.”
**Proverbs‬ *30:28‬ *ASV‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/12/pro.30.28.asv

“a lizard can be caught in your hands, yet it lives in kings’ palaces.”
**Proverbs‬ *30:28‬ *CSB‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/1713/pro.30.28.csb

“the lizard you can take in your hands, yet it is in kings’ palaces.”
**Proverbs‬ *30:28‬ *ESV‬‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/59/pro.30.28.esv

La araña que atrapas con la mano, Y está en palacios de rey.
Proverbios 30:28 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Proverbios%2030:28&version=RVR1960.
Spider vs. Lizard.... who wins???
My friend Brian Simmons did The Passion Translation from scratch using the original languages and multiple old texts. I enjoy his as well. More info here: http://www.thepassiontranslation.com. Take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith
03-25-2021, 08:08 AM
Somewhere here on the bookshelves I have a copy of The Tales of Chaucer in three versions, Middle English (unreadable to modern readers, more akin to German, in fact), High English - akin to King James - and modern English. It is truly amazing to see how the English language has changed over time. I have a King James Bible, it is the first Bible I got at 10 years old, the only one available at the time. It still has the passage at the end of Mark that is not in any modern Bible because it first appeared in the 4th Century. I don't think I've opened it in the past 20 years. I have my Dad's six volume set of Jamison, Faucett, and Brown commentary on the Bible, and it's whole purpose was to help people rightly understand the KJV. That's why I haven't used my KJV in 20 years.

alamogunr
03-25-2021, 11:29 AM
In my second year English class in college, I had to read Chaucer in the original language. We were expected to pronounce the words correctly. The professor had each student come to his office and read aloud a given passage. Of course, we boys got a kick out of the inclusion of passages that included references to "farts".

I doubt even the professors today have read Chaucer in the original. It was in 1962 when I read those assigned passages.

WestKentucky
03-25-2021, 11:50 AM
What I have is a study bible labeled as an “ancient texts” bible. It is still in its modern form (NIV for mine) but it goes into decent detail about who the letters were written to, societal or cultural issues that are lost on today’s society, and goes back to the oldest known written records for the books. I really like it, but like most folks I have to admit that I’m not in it nearly as much as I should be. If you are interested in more info send me a PM and I will get the ISBN off of it when I get home.