PDA

View Full Version : Very newby question

pearson1662
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/pearson1662/Picture202_1.jpg

Saeco #410 lubed with Lyman Moly lube.

Is the top groove supposed to be filled with lube or is that reserved for crimping? Also, the top punch is making a slight indentation in the bullet where it makes contact. (Barely visible in photo) It is the correct top punch for the mold and purchased from Redding. Should I modify the punch with JB Weld? Sorry for the lousy pics, I can't get my cam to work on macro.

TIA,

Jay

mooman76
12-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes the top groove is for the crimp gove but a little lube won't hurt a thing. As well a small mark made by the top punch won't hurt either so it's up to you if you want to try another top punch or try and fix.

Calehedron
12-27-2008, 04:42 PM
All you need to do is adjust the stop screw and nut on the bottom of the 4500 to keep the bullet from going in the sizer die too deep and getting lube in the crimp groove. Or... you can plug the top row of holes with lead shot and not worry about it at all.

pearson1662
12-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Great! Now that you've helped me with that question, how do I keep the lube off the boolit bases?

TIA,

Jay

454PB
12-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Lube on the boolit base may be caused by a poorly fit nose punch. What happens is the punch sticks on the nose and actually lifts the boolit in the die while pressure is still be applied. This allows a gob of lube to run under the boolit in between the base and the die ejection rod. The cure is to use a nose punch that doesn't grip the boolit nose.

NSP64
12-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Great! Now that you've helped me with that question, how do I keep the lube off the boolit bases?

TIA,

Jay

Is it a lyman lube die? the plunger in the die has a top and bottom. the top has nice sharp corners and the bottom is rounded. might be installed upside down(plunger not die)

NSP64
12-28-2008, 12:56 AM
the top punch is making a slight indentation in the bullet where it makes contact.

You can get a nose punch that is flat all the way across, or chuck up the one you have then open it up a little.(chuck it up in a drill then use a file)

missionary5155
12-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Good morning Those are good looking pills to me. You would be surprised how badly the NOSE of a boolit can be messed up and it will still shoot well. It may not win a 100+ yard shooting match but no groundhog or can out to 50 yards will know the difference. Bases are 100% more important.
I have "Reformed" soft boolit noses in my Lyman sizer for certain applications with no adverse accuracy loss. I have a 200 grain Winny mold that drops near pure lead at.426 but my SRC needs .432 ... so I place the 200 pils in a home made sizer(.434) and smach the nose with a wood rod and ball peen hammer. Flat base & near flat nose but will it ever shoot out to 70 yards.
God bless you ! Jesus Saves...

pearson1662
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Lube on the boolit base may be caused by a poorly fit nose punch. What happens is the punch sticks on the nose and actually lifts the boolit in the die while pressure is still be applied. This allows a gob of lube to run under the boolit in between the base and the die ejection rod. The cure is to use a nose punch that doesn't grip the boolit nose.

Thanks, I'll fix the top punch and see if that cures it.