PDA

View Full Version : 22 ammo in a can?

Krag 1901
03-14-2021, 03:41 AM
Some time ago I bought some .22 LR packaged in a "Tuna Can" for long term storage. I was wondering how long can I expect it to last? I mean I've had some in a box last a long time but it does tarnish in a box. DO "Tuna Cans" last longer?

Mr_Sheesh
03-14-2021, 03:44 AM
They would probably, especially if you added VPI paper and desiccant? Doable in a metal ammo can, also.

Winger Ed.
03-14-2021, 04:51 AM
Protected from temperature extremes, and if the can doesn't rust out: it should last about 200 years... probably more.
I inherited a hand full of .22LRs that had been in a bowl on my Grandfather's dresser for at least 40 years. It all shot fine.

The tarnish is a reaction with the air and humidity.
While protected/isolated from that---- no tarnish.

GhostHawk
03-14-2021, 08:04 AM
Being sealed from the air they should last a lot longer before you see any oxidation of the lead.

200 years should be very doable IMO. I have been stacking my federal champion auto target bricks in plastic seal top totes. Just to limit the air exposure.

I've noticed over the last 6 years that excess bullets, lubed and stacked in smaller food storage tubs with a snap on lid look identical to the day I cast them. Where bullets cast at the same time in similar tub but with no lid have darkened measurably.

StuBach
03-14-2021, 09:27 AM
I have 70 year old Olin Western Super X ammo that my grandpa bought for my dad when he competitively shot. He’s buy by the pallet and we still have a couple brick left we use as special family events. Never ever had an issue with them and they are just in cardboard boxes and stores in cabinets in our basements.

Hell, for 20 years they were stored 5 feet from my dads water heater.

If it’s decent manufacturer there will be no issue in your or your kids’ lifetime.

Krag 1901
03-14-2021, 06:17 PM
Well those are my last ditch ammo. I was afraid that I'd have to break it open but found some Federal and WIn bulk loads that my rifles shoot just fine. Even my #41 S&W shoots it well.

beagle
03-17-2021, 11:02 PM
I don't know but I had a bunch of Eley, Western and Remington Match ammo stored in a .50 can from when I was on the rifle team in the early 60s. When my boy was about twenty, he found it and it must have shot all right as it was all gone when I looked for it later.
Long as it's cool, dry and not exposed to the air (in an ammo can), I'd say at least 50 years.
Don't know about some of this trash they're selling for .22 LR these days but the old stuff was good./beagle

truckerdave397
03-17-2021, 11:49 PM
I store mine in an ammo can.