PDA

View Full Version : Coming Full Circle

Art in Colorado
03-13-2021, 08:13 PM
More years then I care to remember I started handguning with Single Action sixguns. I then started fooling around with those newfangled double action sixguns. I was very pleased to have just these. Well slowly the semi-autos started creepinig in and I started with them. First the Sig DA/SA and then the Glocks and kind of put my six guns away. Well I finaly came to my senses and relized I had a lot more fun with my six guns. I still have a Sig 9mm and a Sig 45 Auto and hate to admit it a Glock 43 for a daily carry. I love to shoot my Ruger Bisley 44 Special and S&W 686 and collect the brass for re-loading. Have a life time supply of Unique and primers. In my thinking the sixguns are a thing of beauty and the semi-autos are just a tool. I have finaly come to my senses.

Rick R
03-13-2021, 09:46 PM
I was out yesterday with my 4 5/8” SBH, Marlin 1894 and a Ruger #1. All in .44 Mag.

A box of 50 sure seemed to last longer than when I take a Glock! :D

charlie b
03-14-2021, 09:26 PM
Yep, when I want to have fun with a pistol I pull out my revolver (DA though). I only shoot my semi-autos for my "periodic qualification".

dtknowles
03-14-2021, 09:39 PM
I don't really think of my DA revolvers as DA just a SA that is quicker to load and eject. I almost always cock the hammer.

Tim

sharps4590
03-16-2021, 09:54 AM
Couldn't agree more about the revolvers. Semi-auto's....I never got past the 1911, CZ-82 and 83 and the Walther's. Never got to Glocks or any of the space age stuff. It's all a mtter of taste but I find them as ugly as a hedge fence post. I do have a fairly nice P-38 but it's just because I wanted it. I haven't shot a box of 50 cartridges through it...I do kinda like it though. As with you, semi's are a tool....but I carry a DA revolver just as often.

When it's time for fun or I want to hit something beyond 25 yards, the revolvers come out. Been working/playing with 4 revolvers quite a bit lately. Ruger Buckeye in 32-20, S&W 696, Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt and a new, Uberti copy of the Schofield in 44-40. Got it to go with my '73 in 44-40. The last one has been a challenge with to see difficult to acquire sights. Finally took a file to the rear and opened it up so I could see the front sight. Goodness did the groups improve!!! Trail Boss has proved to be the best, so far.

onelight
03-16-2021, 11:18 AM
And it is so nice to have all your brass in your hand and not have to bend over a single time and try to find it :)

gon2shoot
03-16-2021, 04:25 PM
Every time I shoot the 45 Blackhawk I ask myself why I bother with anything else.

Art in Colorado
03-16-2021, 06:09 PM
Every time I shoot the 45 Blackhawk I ask myself why I bother with anything else.

Amen Brother. I feel the same when I work out the Ruger Black Hawk 44 Special!!

Art in Colorado
03-16-2021, 06:10 PM
I don't really think of my DA revolvers as DA just a SA that is quicker to load and eject. I almost always cock the hammer.

Tim

I feel the same way. Almost always S/A

charlie b
03-16-2021, 09:36 PM
And I almost never cock the hammer on my DA revolver. :) If I wanted SA I'd have kept the old Blackhawk I had at one time.

onelight
03-16-2021, 09:42 PM
I have several da guns I CC carry at times so when they go to the range I split the the practice ammo 50/50 da/sa.

Catshooter
03-16-2021, 11:16 PM
Rollers can be very pretty. To my eye nothing equals a 4 3/4" Colt. The right 1911 is also a thing of beauty. Glocks are hardly pretty, but for the finest fighting handgun it can't be beat. I've always been a .45 guy but the .45 ACP Glocks are just too damn big for my hands. Finally settled on their GAP cartridge and I'm happy. Glock for fighting efficiency and .45 for the same. And talk about easy to work on! Nothing else comes close, except a properly set up 1911 (no tool take down, thank you JMB).

Cat

dtknowles
03-16-2021, 11:20 PM
And I almost never cock the hammer on my DA revolver. :) If I wanted SA I'd have kept the old Blackhawk I had at one time.

I sold my Blackhawk and bought a Dan Wesson Mdl 15. I did not like ejecting one empty at a time. I like the feel of the Mdl 15 better too. I could not hit the plate at 100 yards as often if I did not cock the hammer.

Tim