PDA

View Full Version : Pulling bullets

lksmith
03-13-2021, 04:21 PM
I'm sure some/most of you already know, but press shell holders fit perfect in place of the collet in the RCBS (and similar) whack-a-mole bullet pullers.
2 calibers I load for (458 socom and 50AE) have large bodies and very recessed rims that make it hard to pull bullets apart.
Today it hit me, put the shellholder in place of the collet and try it, it WORKED! will make it easier to pull the box I loaded up that were too light to cycle

Conditor22
03-13-2021, 04:53 PM
IF it's cast boolits, I put a pipe/tube around the ram, raise the ram up, grip the boolit and lower the ram. I never had any luck re-using pulled cast boolits.

Would a lighter spring help the boolits cycle the gun?

IF you use shell holders, put some filler between them and the cap to hold them snug in the kinetic puller of the shell holder can damage the kenetic puller

lksmith
03-13-2021, 08:41 PM
IF it's cast boolits, I put a pipe/tube around the ram, raise the ram up, grip the boolit and lower the ram. I never had any luck re-using pulled cast boolits.

Would a lighter spring help the boolits cycle the gun?

IF you use shell holders, put some filler between them and the cap to hold them snug in the kinetic puller of the shell holder can damage the kenetic puller

I typically try to use components whenever possible.
Springs on the gun are already worn out and as light as possible, the load just doesn't produce enough gas to operate it.
Fortunately the shellholder seems to be pretty snug and the nub on the bottom keeps it centered in the nut

Winger Ed.
03-13-2021, 08:51 PM
I made a hand full of too light loads once and didn't want to pull them.
I mixed them in with good ones at the range to see if I was flinching or not.
And would load one one at the bottom of a random magazine to see if others flinched.

lksmith
03-14-2021, 10:38 AM
And would load one one at the bottom of a random magazine to see if others flinched.

Thought about that, but 50 cal bullets ain't cheap or available. Besides don't want light loads for EDC ;)

gwpercle
03-14-2021, 12:26 PM

So ... Did you flinch ?

quack1
03-15-2021, 08:17 AM
I used shell holders in the impact puller for a long time with no problems, until the first time I used a Lee shell holder. Second wack ripped off the lip that holds the cartridge in. The break had a granular look to it, like the shell holder was a machined casting. Since that was the only Lee shell holder I had, I don't know if I just got a bad holder or if they are all prone to break under shock.

Winger Ed.
03-15-2021, 01:54 PM
So ... Did you flinch ?

I've caught myself doing it once in awhile if I haven't been shooting much.
I still have to concentrate on not doing it with handguns.
With rifles, it never was much of an issue.