PDA

View Full Version : Heater elements - what's out there?

8shot
03-13-2021, 01:45 PM
If one was to make a lube-sizer base with 110v element what options have you come across other than the Lyman factory style heater. Have the aluminum material...just looking for some heater ideas.

StuBach
03-13-2021, 01:57 PM
I would think a generic heating coil could be molded to size you want?

Another alternative would be a small heat lamp bulb or even a fish tank heater depending on your size constraints and need for it to look pretty.

Prior to acquiring my heating plate from a member on here I just had my old shatter proof fish tank heater zip tied to side of lube reservoir and that seemed to work ok. Looked ugly as sin though so finally upgraded when I was able to find an old magma one available on here.

slim1836
03-13-2021, 03:34 PM

I'm not proud of it but it works great.

Slim

StuBach
03-13-2021, 04:21 PM
Slim, that’s awesome. Wish I’d thought of that, way better than my fish heater.

8shot
03-13-2021, 04:40 PM

Slim

That will work!

Paper Puncher
03-13-2021, 04:44 PM
If your Aluminum plate is thick enough a 110v cartridge heater works well. Drill a hole in the side of the plate and slide the heater in with a little heat transfer compound.
To control it can use:
On off switch
Dimmer switch
Inexpensive electronic thermostat for 110v (usually has a separate thermocouple)
A Pid (kind of overkill)

Conditor22
03-13-2021, 04:48 PM
??? https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Automatic-Beverage-Warmers-Temperature/dp/B08GC1QMGH/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3FF3ZD826QYM4&dchild=1&keywords=coffee+mug+warmer&qid=1615668387&s=home-garden&sprefix=Coffee+Mug+Warmer%2Cgarden%2C239&sr=1-11

be converted to fit?

Springfield
03-13-2021, 06:14 PM
I use a small travel iron to heat the aluminum plate my Stars are mounted to. I found a full size iron got too hot.

BeeMan
03-13-2021, 06:27 PM
https://www.zoro.com/vulcan-swaged-cartridge-heater-42wsq-in-c3910a/i/G2426496/#specifications

Add an electric water heater thermostat and you'll be set.

slim1836
03-14-2021, 02:11 AM
I use a small travel iron to heat the aluminum plate my Stars are mounted to. I found a full size iron got too hot.

That's why I have an extra P.I.D. on the shelf, just haven't tried it out yet.

You're right, It gets too hot but a travel iron was about twice the cost of a full size iron. Some things just don't make sense.

Slim

thump_rrr
03-14-2021, 02:33 AM
If your Aluminum plate is thick enough a 110v cartridge heater works well. Drill a hole in the side of the plate and slide the heater in with a little heat transfer compound.
To control it can use:
On off switch
Dimmer switch
Inexpensive electronic thermostat for 110v (usually has a separate thermocouple)
A Pid (kind of overkill)
I bought a complete PID kit including SSR and thermocouple for $32 Canadian last week.

It isn’t overkill at that point.

Mr_Sheesh
03-14-2021, 06:59 AM
Any power resistor with enough power and low enough resistance to get hot enough, will do it; Digikey, Mouser, Newark / Element 14 carry them, among others. Power Dissipated (max)= Voltage Squared / Resistance if that helps, or PM me. Among others :) Sometimes it's about what will work and is cheapest, also.

8shot
03-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Wasn't aware of cartridge heaters..if I knew the wattage of a Lyman heater could just buy one.

AZ Pete
03-14-2021, 08:47 AM
oopsie

AZ Pete
03-14-2021, 08:48 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/51bc77980a3b040b00b29d07d201925c.jpg

on Amazon

ksrifle
03-14-2021, 09:03 AM
I used the 50 watt cartridge heater from Amazon that AZ Pete posted and plugged it in to this temp controller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015...4VFGI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ksrifle
03-14-2021, 09:30 AM
I used the 50 watt cartridge heater from Amazon that AZ Pete posted and plugged it in to this temp controller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015...4VFGI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkLink not working for some reason. Here's a screenshot.279562

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HATCH
03-14-2021, 11:31 AM
The only problem you might run into is the type of lube you use.
That controller only goes to 108f.
Depending on the type of lube you are using that might not be high enough to provide proper flow and fill out.

I use a Magma heated base because I use the bullet feeder.
I use a ring type thermocouple and place it on the back left mounting bolt for the heating plate to my table.
It provides a repeatable temperature.
It may not the exact temperature of the lube but as I mentioned it is repeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim147
03-14-2021, 03:15 PM
Any power resistor with enough power and low enough resistance to get hot enough, will do it; Digikey, Mouser, Newark / Element 14 carry them, among others. Power Dissipated (max)= Voltage Squared / Resistance if that helps, or PM me. Among others :) Sometimes it's about what will work and is cheapest, also.

I like this guy. Shops at all the same places I do. Used to get orders in from MCM several times a week.

ulav8r
03-14-2021, 07:12 PM
??? https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Automatic-Beverage-Warmers-Temperature/dp/B08GC1QMGH/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3FF3ZD826QYM4&dchild=1&keywords=coffee+mug+warmer&qid=1615668387&s=home-garden&sprefix=Coffee+Mug+Warmer%2Cgarden%2C239&sr=1-11

be converted to fit?

Yesterday's reply went missing. I think this cup warmer would work well. Make a base of plywood with a recess to hold the warmer against the base of the lube-sizer with some heat transfer paste to ensure good contact.

crandall crank
03-14-2021, 07:22 PM
I've used a cartridge heater, but in DC voltage. Typically the type used in 3D printers. As a power source, I re-use a laptop computer charger/convertor. Both the heater and the charger are 24vdc. If needed, the charger may be plugged into my PID.

Best thing is the heaters are only $10 for 5 of them. Computer charger was a salvage from work and the PID was already built.

The cartridge heater is inserted into a 1" thick aluminum plate, which is under the lube sizer.

Mal Paso
03-14-2021, 07:56 PM
Wasn't aware of cartridge heaters..if I knew the wattage of a Lyman heater could just buy one.

20 Watts at 120 volts. I don't have it now but I think it was 3/8 in diameter.

jsizemore
03-14-2021, 09:20 PM
I've got a 1" aluminum plate under my 2 sizers. I have a PID with a SSR output of 120V AC. That's hooked to a 30 watt 120V cartridge heater. I drilled a hole for the cartridge on the right side so it extends under the sizer. The thermocouple is one of those button types and seats in a drilled and taped hole on the left side of the plate. If I'm slow to preheat, I'll hit the lube pressure chamber with the hair dryer.

AZ Pete
03-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Yesterday's reply went missing. I think this cup warmer would work well. Make a base of plywood with a recess to hold the warmer against the base of the lube-sizer with some heat transfer paste to ensure good contact.

I had one of these, surplus from my desk at work when I retired. I took the plastic off, and put it between a couple of pieces of aluminum plate. I did route out a recess for it. It heats my 450 just fine. I think the original purchase was less than $5 at a Walgreens sale.

Land Owner
03-15-2021, 02:23 PM
I modified a cheap 1.9W x 120V x 60 Hz Glade Plugin Air Freshener with Warmer and coupled it to a magnet with JB Weld that is suitable to produce heat (temperature gradient) for continued use night and day sufficient to keep bees wax based lube running smooth.

https://i.postimg.cc/1t3Lq4gc/Warmer.jpg

Mr_Sheesh
03-15-2021, 05:00 PM
I've heard of a lot of 3d printer cartridge heaters going kaput, so I would suggest not pushing them if you use one i.e. if it's a 12V cartridge, don't run it at 16V or the like. A little better would be to run more than one, at reduced voltage, to give redundancy and more lifespan. Say 10-11V for 12V cartridges.

I am not sure if it was the experiments they were doing, or the cartridges themselves being the cheapest junk they could find, to be honest, but - if you buy cheap ones you could have the same issue. (Or if you're using it at higher than specified voltage in a chemical reaction area, with the fumes destroying it slowly; one of these guys is into making his own chemicals for his farm and he does some fun if bizarre stuff.)

8shot
03-15-2021, 05:44 PM
I've heard of a lot of 3d printer cartridge heaters going kaput, so I would suggest not pushing them if you use one i.e. if it's a 12V cartridge, don't run it at 16V or the like. A little better would be to run more than one, at reduced voltage, to give redundancy and more lifespan. Say 10-11V for 12V cartridges.

I am not sure if it was the experiments they were doing, or the cartridges themselves being the cheapest junk they could find, to be honest, but - if you buy cheap ones you could have the same issue. (Or if you're using it at higher than specified voltage in a chemical reaction area, with the fumes destroying it slowly; one of these guys is into making his own chemicals for his farm and he does some fun if bizarre stuff.)

Good points...I have recently read that proper fitting of the cartridge heater is important...they have to be snug to properly transfer the heat before burning themselves out. As a result of this (learning) topic I have ordered the hardware to make my own lube heater and look forward to assembly. I bought brand name parts.

BNE
03-15-2021, 06:25 PM

Slim

That is excellent! I love the simplicity.
BNE.

8shot
03-22-2021, 01:59 PM
From info gathered from this post I made a lube heater and casting sizing bench. Had a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate in my scrap pile, bought a Hotwatt 40 watt catridge heater, and after some drilling/milling have it mounted to my new rolling bench. Used a fireplace electric fan control...after 20 minutes the base plate is at 80F with controller fully open. Don't have the lube sizer dies yet so not sure what temp it will level out as, will calibrate when I actually start sizing.

Both the lead furnace and sizer power cords feed from the bottom. Used a piece of 1/2" grey schedule 40 conduit (flared end) to close the gap on the bottom of the Star lube sizer which guides the sized bullets into the pan below deck.

Learned that the 3/8" 40 watt cartridge heater is manufactured so that the hole from a standard 3/8" drill bit will leave the correct sizing tolerances, the catridge heater fit snugly as intended.

Brassmonkey
03-22-2021, 02:25 PM
I have a 1000watt heating element from a fancy front load washer I can send ya for shipping cost. It's 110v and way overkill but would work if you cut a slot in the plate for it. It's 2"x6" roughly. You would need temperature control.

Brassmonkey
03-22-2021, 03:19 PM
I modified a cheap 1.9W x 120V x 60 Hz Glade Plugin Air Freshener with Warmer and coupled it to a magnet with JB Weld that is suitable to produce heat (temperature gradient) for continued use night and day sufficient to keep bees wax based lube running smooth.

https://i.postimg.cc/1t3Lq4gc/Warmer.jpg

That's neat, I tried using one of them to keep my coffee warm, I had Terrible thermal transfer so didn't work so well

Land Owner
03-23-2021, 05:16 AM
Yes, so I am finding out. The little 1.9W heating element gets plenty hot, but transferring that heat from its flat face to the round surface of the lube-sizer (across a line rather than a surface) as well as the significantly large mass of loading bench (heat sink), aluminum plate (Rock Dock), cast steel (lube-sizer), and wax to be heated in a temperature controlled (AC) environment of 76*F has turned out to be problematic.

I can create a small, local, thermal gradient in the lube-sizer around the die. As I use the sizer, the thermal gradient does not last, nor does it reach the "cold" lube in the barrel of the sizer. I'm working on the concept. It has potential, but is not yet ready for Prime Time...

If I can get it to transfer heat better and more efficiently, a 1.9W heater left on 24hr/day is significantly less energy over a month than a steam iron produces over the period of its use. I may go back to using a 40W light bulb under a towel for 20 minutes. That heat source worked real well.

Mike W1
03-24-2021, 05:13 PM
Here's a pix of the innards of the old Midway Heater. I don't see any markings on the element but it measures about 11" in length and the outer diameter is about 1/4". Still works fine but I'd like to know the easiest place to find a spare element for it. Suppose with out knowing any more specs than that it might not be easy. Element Ohms are 117.

jim147
03-25-2021, 06:07 AM
Diameter of the round part and wattage?

pastera
03-25-2021, 08:58 AM

A big part of the 3d printer issue is the controller fails heater on so the thing overheats and flames out.