PDA

View Full Version : Pat Marlins Checkmaker

robertbank
03-12-2021, 05:34 PM
I just want to do a shout out to Pat. He has been swamped with orders. I just received notice my third die is on it's way North. His dies are excellent quality and IMHO are worth waiting for. Pat has always been straight up with all my dealings with him. Now if the USPS doesn't send my die to England or Malta I should have it here by the end of the month.

Take Care

Bob

markmars
03-20-2021, 06:22 AM
I ordered a .30 and a .224 from him and mailed the check to him. To bad he doesn't due cards. How long is the wait time?

robertbank
03-20-2021, 10:52 AM
I ordered mine late December. It will arrive up here in Canada Tuesday next. Mine got caught up in the Christmas surge of orders. I suspect yours will be under 90 days. I know from his text he is really busy. That said the wait is worth it.

Take Care

Bob

dannyd
03-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Got three from Pat always takes care of me. Just got 300 blackout last week.

Friends call me Pac
03-21-2021, 09:17 AM
74 days since I ordered. Maybe soon, looking forward to making my own checks.

dannyd
03-21-2021, 09:36 AM
74 days since I ordered. Maybe soon, looking forward to making my own checks.

The last one took 90 days, unusually long for Pat, but we are in strange times.

markmars
03-24-2021, 04:19 PM
I got email saying I was paid in full.

rick benjamin
03-24-2021, 04:54 PM
I ordered, paid for a checkmaker from Pat on February 10. I think he said his backlog is 90 days or so. I'm anxious and only to the 50th day. Can't rush perfection

beagle
03-24-2021, 11:07 PM
Well worth the wait. I just finished three medicine bottles of his 35 PB checks today. Got two more runs to do before hot weather sets in./beagle

Friends call me Pac
04-20-2021, 01:15 PM
98 days. Looking forward to it getting here.

lksmith
04-20-2021, 04:17 PM
I wish Pat made a one pass maker. those little discs are too fiddly for me to make many of them, but they do make fine checks

Ia.redneck
04-23-2021, 11:19 PM
I placed an order for a 30 cal on 11/4/20...........still waiting...:???:

Retumbo
04-24-2021, 07:25 AM
I wish Pat made a one pass maker. those little discs are too fiddly for me to make many of them, but they do make fine checks

Agreed

robertbank
04-24-2021, 09:33 AM
I placed an order for a 30 cal on 11/4/20...........still waiting...:???:

Last I heard from Pat was he was running about 90 days with the hope his turn around time would improve once he was over the holiday orders. You could contact him via his website and ask him.

Take Care

Bpb

Ia.redneck
04-24-2021, 09:38 AM
I emailed him on 2/16/21 and he replied he was way behind and working as fast as possible.

larryw
05-07-2021, 04:34 PM
Figured I would toss in my little tidbit of info.
Received an email from Pat on March 29 2021. He stated that he was just finishing
Up on 2020 orders, some of his vendors are still down or at reduced capacity.

Duckdog
05-08-2021, 09:12 AM
Then it appears he over 4 months behind. Last time I ordered from him it was a couple of years ago and it was the same story, just a different reason. Damn find product, but lots of waiting to get it. A fellow posted in March that he sent his order on Feb 10th and Pat said he was 90 days behind. Based on larryw's info, that can't be true.

When I ordered the ones I got a couple of years ago and was waiting, and waiting, and waiting, I struck me that this might be like a taxidermist we had in my area. He would take the deposits on mounts and live on the deposits, then have to squeak by until more money would come in so he could finish the ones he took the deposits on earlier so he had money to buy supplies or tan the hides. He also does excellent work, but you'd have to wait well over a year for a deer head to come back.

Seems odd to me that Charlie could keep hammering them out and still find time to call people to ask how they were working. It's still all just machining. If he could do it, what's the problem? Just saying. I will not be ordering more.

Friends call me Pac
05-08-2021, 12:05 PM
116 days so far and still waiting. Not a happy camper.

rick benjamin
05-08-2021, 01:23 PM
I ordered a checkmaker on 3 Feb. Asked for status 3 weeks out. (got it couple days later).

Hi Rick (thats me),
Good to hear from you!
I'm a one man shop, and working as fast as possible to fill orders.
Due to the overwhelming demand, I cannot forecast shipping dates with what is going on, but working as fast as possible to fill orders daily.
***Due to supplier backlogs with Covid-19, everything is just taking longer. Tooling and material supply companies, repair parts, and stock issues- Just frustrating.
Your order is here on my bench, and will be shipping as soon as possible.
All die calibers are NOT in stock and are made pre-paid to order and ship first come first serve.
I prepay shipping to expedite the process. I guarantee you will love your dies, and will be worth the wait.
Checkmaker™ dies are labor intensive (with +/- .0005" tolerances), and I won't compromise quality and accuracy by rushing the process.
Info on operation and metals can be found here:
http://www.patmarlins.com/frequent-questions/
http://www.patmarlins.com/the-learning-pages/
All orders receive a USPS email tracking notification.
You will receive a tracking email when your order scans and is on it's way (I did).
Thanks for your business- Stay safe, keep your powder dry an go have some fun!
Pat

It came about 14 April, 56 days sticks in my mind, better than 90 days promised, and it is beautiful. Handmade by one guy in a garage. World demand!
Not a factory production line, each custom made by Pat's hand.

He's also having trouble getting raw material to make parts.

As I write this, just got finished reading that the southern and east coast fuels distribution pipeline was cyber hack attacked.
Trucks planes, cars can't get fuels. and everybody wears masks, gets covid sick, etc. Everybody take an extra chill-pill.

Still waiting for cheep primers...

robertbank
05-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Well put Rick, you have my issue in hand. Complete it when you can. All the best

Bob

Beaverhunter2
05-14-2021, 09:43 PM
I have the .30 and .45. Nice tools! Gotta say- if you aren't willing to wait for his (high quality) tools you can always keep buying checks. There's a reason Pat is as busy as he is..

John

robertbank
05-14-2021, 11:45 PM
I have the .30 and .45. Nice tools! Gotta say- if you aren't willing to wait for his (high quality) tools you can always keep buying checks. There's a reason Pat is as busy as he is..

John

Exactly!

Take Care

Bob

Duckdog
05-15-2021, 07:25 AM
No offense guys, but you seem very dismissive to anyone else's concerns. While I truly respect your opinions, please do not dismiss other folks opinions like their opinions do not matter. Waiting over 30 days for a simple piece of machining like this is just plain outrageous, and is why I will never purchase another one from him, regardless of the quality. I agree, it is a fine tool, but this is not a start up business. It's been the same story for years and years, and the "bugs" should have been worked out long ago.

A thread like this might steer some folks in a different direction and prevent them from the disappointment of waiting and endless excuses. Isn't that what these threads and forums are for? The exchange of information and opinions in a respectful manner?

Some members may have had great turnaround, where with the three I bought, I waited, and waited, and waited. My advise is to find manufactured checks or a different vendor, unless 3 to 6 months wait is fine with you.

Here's a thread from 2013. Same story. Just saying. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?192345-pat-marlins-gas-check-maker

I guess, everyone has to decide on their own.

robertbank
05-15-2021, 10:15 AM
No offense? None taken. Life is full of experiences, choices and opinions. Some of us are of the opinion, based upon our life experiences to choose to deal with Pat believing the choice is worth the wait. You are entitled to yours.

Why should anyone be offended? Not sure what the issues were in 2013, good of you to find that link. Most would have given up on the forums search engine long before we found the link. You are aware the World is in the middle of a pandemic. Whole sections of our economy beyond nightclubs and bars have experoenced delays in receiving needed parts and material due to staff shortages in their supply chains. Might be a simple issue today as no being able to get scrub screws or bar stock for the ram.

Enjoy your weekend. Mo masks if you are lucky enough to have had two shots for the virus.

Take Care

Bob

bimus
05-15-2021, 12:21 PM
I bought Pats check maker a few years back when gas checks prices where high or could not be found and had to wait for them . This time with this shortage the check maker in hand and ready to make checks it was worth the money and the wait .

Cottonpicker
05-15-2021, 03:46 PM
Ordered a 22 cal from Pat 12-1-20, never sent him a email asking about the order. I figured his check cleared and everything was good. Why bother him when he's busy filling orders. I had plenty of store bought checks anyway to hold me over. Received the checkmaker 5-13-21. Already got a few loaded up to take to the range. Quality product, well worth the wait....I'll never have to buy another gas check again!

Ia.redneck
05-20-2021, 08:17 PM
I received my 30 cal checkmaker from Pat last week. It makes very nice checks, and was worth the wait. Close tolerances and great machine work. Thanks Pat!

lksmith
05-21-2021, 09:52 AM
No offense guys, but you seem very dismissive to anyone else's concerns. While I truly respect your opinions, please do not dismiss other folks opinions like their opinions do not matter. Waiting over 30 days for a simple piece of machining like this is just plain outrageous, and is why I will never purchase another one from him, regardless of the quality. I agree, it is a fine tool, but this is not a start up business. It's been the same story for years and years, and the "bugs" should have been worked out long ago.

A thread like this might steer some folks in a different direction and prevent them from the disappointment of waiting and endless excuses. Isn't that what these threads and forums are for? The exchange of information and opinions in a respectful manner?

Some members may have had great turnaround, where with the three I bought, I waited, and waited, and waited. My advise is to find manufactured checks or a different vendor, unless 3 to 6 months wait is fine with you.

Here's a thread from 2013. Same story. Just saying. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?192345-pat-marlins-gas-check-maker

I guess, everyone has to decide on their own.

If it was a CNC operation or a single maker you're right. But folks like Pat Marlin, Matteson's Machine shop, and others making these things are generally one man shops, working with manual equipment and doing high precision work. Throw in extremely high demand and you are going to have backlogs and long lead times.

Not defending these guys just stating the facts. I make a living buying and therefore have to have an eye for market conditions, demands and capacities of suppliers. Right now these guys are running at or above capacity and the triangle dictates you can only have 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast or Good. So your either wait for good stuff with a good price or get crap fast or get good as astronomical prices.

Retumbo
05-23-2021, 08:10 PM
If it was a CNC operation or a single maker you're right. But folks like Pat Marlin, Matteson's Machine shop, and others making these things are generally one man shops, working with manual equipment and doing high precision work. Throw in extremely high demand and you are going to have backlogs and long lead times.

Not defending these guys just stating the facts. I make a living buying and therefore have to have an eye for market conditions, demands and capacities of suppliers. Right now these guys are running at or above capacity and the triangle dictates you can only have 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast or Good. So your either wait for good stuff with a good price or get crap fast or get good as astronomical prices.

Pat marlin was squacking about his cnc quite a while ago. The website shows a cnc lathe

lksmith
05-24-2021, 10:27 AM
Pat marlin was squacking about his cnc quite a while ago. The website shows a cnc lathe

I stand corrected. I didn't know Pat had a CNC.
But the rest of my comment is accurate for the other guys

Duckdog
05-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Seeing how I was brought back into this, I stand by my comments as well. I also work with suppliers and market conditions, and I would not stand for the never ending excuses from any of these vendors and contractors. Maybe your situation is different from mine and others, and I respect that.

A simple search will show plenty of posts and examples of the excuses that were used over the years. I remember when Charlie was selling his product. I bought one. I received if very promptly. I think it was less than a week. He was also very busy, and also not a spring chicken besides. Charlie took money when he had the product in stock if I remember properly, and seemed to always have the most popular calibers in stock.

I guess if it were me, I would only sell what I had in stock, and not hold people's money for months on end. If that is not using that money to live on while waiting for more funds to come in, it is an interest free loan. It's your money, spend it how you wish. I will not do it again.

markmars
05-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Sent him an email this morning it's been 60 days. Maybe in another 30 I'll have it in hand.

dannyd
05-26-2021, 09:31 AM
I have 3 gas check makers from Pat, he did a great job on all. I was raised by the owner of a one horse company, so I expect it to take a while to the product. So I order it and forget about it until it comes in: this is my hobby and I enjoy it also enjoy it more by not worrying about things like this. Pat will get it to you eventually.

lksmith
05-26-2021, 10:14 AM
I have 3 gas check makers from Pat, he did a great job on all. I was raised by the owner of a one horse company, so I expect it to take a while to the product. So I order it and forget about it until it comes in: this is my hobby and I enjoy it also enjoy it more by not worrying about things like this. Pat will get it to you eventually.

If you like Pat's 2 stroke system, you'll love a single stroke system! WAY quicker, easier and more productive! I got a few single stroke makers from Matteson's Machine shop and haven't used my ones from Pat since. I can pop them out quick enough to spend more time loading and shooting.

Friends call me Pac
06-01-2021, 05:12 PM
139 days and still no delivery. At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back

bob15
06-05-2021, 06:57 PM
139 days and still no delivery. At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back

At this point, you are best to just wait it out. If it means anything, I'm at a 120 days.....

littlejack
06-06-2021, 11:44 AM
I had one of his. 41 pb check makers for a few years. It started to make bad checks, so I sent it to Pat for repair or replace. He did some work on it, and sent it back. No better. I sent it back again. I had forgotten to put my return address on the package. He sat on it for months, with me sending text after text to him. He finally answered. That's when he told me about the missing return address. I sent him more texts regarding the replacement. Haven't heard from him since at least the middle of last year. All he had to do was send me a replacement. He still has the bad one. Good thing I didn't decide to not eat waiting on it. I wouldn't be posting this. Lol

littlejack
06-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Apparently, he doesn't even read the post's here, to find out what he needs to do to keep his customers happy.

0verkill
06-12-2021, 02:10 PM
I think he's banned here. Probably because how he treats his customers. I bought a couple and after 2 months I just figured I'd been ripped off. Boy was I happy when they showed up. I agree that they're great tools, but if you do stuff for a living you should fill and ship orders promptly. I'm looking around at some or the other checkmakers myself.

robertbank
06-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Well I have to say he has always treated me fairly. I know he is behind in his orders but I also understand life is not a straight line. He may have health issues etc. I can wait for my stuff. In the scheme of life his delivery times are a pretty small part of my life.

Take Care

Bob

lksmith
06-12-2021, 06:40 PM
I think he's banned here. Probably because how he treats his customers. I bought a couple and after 2 months I just figured I'd been ripped off. Boy was I happy when they showed up. I agree that they're great tools, but if you do stuff for a living you should fill and ship orders promptly. I'm looking around at some or the other checkmakers myself.

I love my single stroke makers! Actually makes them fast enough to be worth it

0verkill
06-13-2021, 03:03 AM
What kind do you have

lksmith
06-13-2021, 10:41 AM
What kind do you have

Got the ones that Dave Matteson makes. He's the guy on facebook, but has recently made an external website

https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/

Friends call me Pac
06-29-2021, 05:14 PM
167 days since I placed my order but it showed up on my steps this morning. The wait time of five and a half months was not satisfactory for me but the check maker does look nice. Best of luck to Pat Martens.

robertbank
06-29-2021, 05:23 PM
167 days since I placed my order but it showed up on my steps this morning. The wait time of five and a half months was not satisfactory for me but the check maker does look nice. Best of luck to Pat Martens.

Pat was nice enough to pass along where he stands. The Covid issues on supply trains is real. Pat issues are not an isolated situation nor unique. I waited four months for a part to show up for my Tacoma. The part was for the AC. Not sure where you all live but I doubt you all have experienced, one way or another the same issues Pat is dealing with.

Take Care

Bob

MrWolf
06-29-2021, 06:55 PM
Others have posted that even Dillon cannot get certain materials and have lengthy wait times.

Duckdog
06-29-2021, 09:36 PM
It would be more understandable if it was only since COVID, but this has been going on for years since he first started. One can easily research on this very site the old posts from years ago showing this very trend of not fulfilling orders. If people want to defend him when it is your money, have at it. But if someone else is concerned because of their money being tied up way beyond what should be considered acceptable, it is wrong to make them feel like they are wrong for pointing that out. Quite frankly, this item should take no more than a hour to make. 5 1/2 months is just plain unacceptable. Goes back to Charlie was also a one man shop and he was able to keep up and turn his orders around very quickly.

robertbank
06-29-2021, 11:54 PM
Duckdog them why not buy some where else if it upsets you so much. Now it is Covid. Live with it.

Pat has dealt with me right, enough said.

Take Care

Bob

littlejack
06-30-2021, 11:54 AM
I'm sure, that if some of the folks that have had good expierience/s with Pat, would have a entirely different opinion, if they had had the bad expierience/s some of us others have had. Just sayin.

robertbank
06-30-2021, 01:07 PM
I'm sure, that if some of the folks that have had good expierience/s with Pat, would have a entirely different opinion, if they had had the bad experience/s some of us others have had. Just sayin.

Perhaps to your point it is just a case of realizing what is going on right now in the work environment due to Covid. I am sure Pat is not the only one dealing with troubled supply chains. I have been waiting six months due to his inability to get the raw material for my particular purchase. I understand what is happening with, not only Pat's situation, but others. Up here, we rely on some products from the US, we are your largest purchaser of US goods. Their have been a huge kinks in products that normally are off the shelf items. I know it is frustrating when things don't work as they should and when it happens when you have other stressors in your life.....

All the best guys, hopefully we will soon see the pandemic in our rear mirrors soon. It isn't over yet but surely we are close to the end game.

For everyone's sake get vaccinated. I want to visit my sister in WA and the border will remain closed until we all get the virus under control.

Take Care

Bob

littlejack
06-30-2021, 01:58 PM
In my case, "perhaps" has nothing to do with it. My particular circumstance with Pat is around the 1 1/2 - 2 year mark, long before this COVID issue. I've given up on Pat making things right for me. You do not know all the circumstances with all of the purchases. Everyone has their opinion.
Best to let the sleeping dog lie.

Duckdog
07-01-2021, 06:38 AM
"Now is COVID. Live with it". So that justifies bad business, and support for a vendor that was banned for this very issue? Furthermore, I have bought from him, and from others. That is clearly my choice. What upsets me is that "fan club" he has that pretty much puts anyone who doesn't agree with them down, like their opinion doesn't matter. "Live with it".

As far as using this site and forum to plug ones own opinion on COVID and ones personal choice of what to do with their own health and vaccinations, that is just wrong. I have entirely different views on COVID than some, but not most, and this is not the appropriate place to air them out. I have been here a long time, and I thought it was supposed to be a site for the free exchange of knowledge and experiences, but it seem if one has a different opinion or experience, your opinion doesn't really matter. "Now is COVID. Live with it". Says it all I guess. Live with it. Enough said.

lksmith
07-01-2021, 08:47 AM
The thing I don't understand is how there are enough people wanting a 2stroke system for any mfg to stay in business when there are single stroke systems for the same or lower price with comparable quality. Or why 2 stroke mfg's like Pat don't at least offer single stroke makers. I guess it boils down to name recognition

bob15
07-05-2021, 04:05 PM
Not sure if anyone else got this e-mail from Pat last week. I understand potential shortages, but when he requires my money upfront and now I'm 5 months into waiting (holding my money) and I do find it frustrating and growingly annoyed by it. I waited nearly 5 years for my Shiloh (and have about 18-20 months for my next one), but I didn't have to pay for them up front. So yes, I do have patience, but this is definitely straining it. Not sure that if in the future I want another gas check maker tool I'll use Pat. I didn't know about Dave's until after my order was place with Pat.....;-)

Pat's email:

Dear Patmarlins customers….

Most of you know I’ve been brutally honest with my customers.

Each and every one since I started the Checkmaker™ dies design back in 2008.

Right now I’m trying to choose my words carefully.

Since I’ve been in business, there's always been one or two individuals who make it a point to try and harass me, and accuse me of everything from fraud to thievery, and complain across the internet and to every agency they can that they have been ripped off because they believe they've had to wait to long for my product.

Frustration at the moment is at a fever pitch.

It’s never been easy, being a one man shop- investing in the equipment and machines necessary to provide cast shooters in this industry a way to save money with our sport... one that’s always been near and dear to my heart.

Thankfully, I have a very nice shop with quality machines that has been paid for years ago. You paid for it. Your hard earned dollars paying for my work.

That fact that I have the best customers, who have hung in with me through thick and thin and have ordered numerous times over all these years speaks volumes, and has been my inspiration to stay in this industry and strive to improve.

You think you would have it all figured but I’m still coming up with innovative ideas that make my operation go smoother, and improve the quality of my dies.

I don’t spend one dime on advertising. Haven’t for years and my customers still order world wide. My dies are a niche- very small specialized business segment in cast shooting. There is no one getting rich here.

But now the world has gone freaking crazy.

I spend a great deal of time waiting on my supply orders, searching out suppliers because some have discontinued what I used to rely on daily.

There has been a world wide shortage of some tool steel I use... and what orders have trickled in, some of the quality is crap. I have to chuck every bar stock on a lathe and check it before I install it in my CNC machines. It has destroyed tooling and tool inserts.

Thankfully, my suppliers immediately send replacements but they are having a hell of a time. The wait across the board in the United States for the simplest items I used to take for granted like tooling, tool inserts, steel, aluminum, machine repair parts and more has just been unbelievable, and the cost is skyrocketing. The only way I can do this is by taking pre-paid orders.

Your prepaid order places you inline and I guarantee I will get you a quality set of dies like I always have.

I’m always trying to stay ahead of the game. I have large pending (pre-paid) orders for supplies, and I’ve placed huge orders in tooling where some has been discontinued so I can keep making dies for years to come.

I spent over $400 on one (very small) cobalt boring bar I’ve used to make my female dies because they discontinued them with no reliable replacement. I bought enough for over 10 years worth of dies and I can resharpen them. I take what I can get and build dies and send them out asap.

This climate in our country has caused a record number of sales of which I’m very thankful. The fact is if I had everything I needed daily, I could be caught up in a relatively short amount of time. If anyone knows anything about me I don’t give up. This thing will pass and work itself out. American is the most resilient country in the world and has shown that throughout history time and time again.

I appreciate your patience and business. Trust me when I say nothing will make me happier than to get your order built and shipped so you can enjoy and have the security of being able to make your own quality gas checks and let it be one more thing you can control yourself.

Keep your powder dry and God Bless everyone.

-Pat

littlejack
07-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Yes, I received it, and it didn't do me a bit of good. I tried replying to the previous ones, but to no avail. So, I just deleted this last one.

Friends call me Pac
07-06-2021, 03:41 PM
I got the email too. It didn't change my mind about future orders with him. I hope he does well but I'll not purchase from him again.

Friends call me Pac
07-10-2021, 06:19 PM
After the long wait time for the arrival of my check maker I unwrapped it in preparation of getting to know how to use it. It's a really nice .223 check maker but the problem is I ordered a 30 cal. I'm not mad about it because I know things happen and also know when you are on the receiving end when it rains it pours. Pat has been beat up enough and I'm not going to add any more aggravation. I do cast for .223 so I'm not sending it back. I still need a .30 maker but I'm going a different route this time. Got a local machine shop making a single stage .30 check maker that cuts and forms the check at the same time. Will see how it turns out.

Shamus
07-21-2021, 03:04 PM
In my opinion he should just make what he can and then list them for sale online. Taking pre-orders just makes people mad when you can't deliver promptly. I don't take money from my customers till I know I can ship within a few days.

Its best to make at least 40 of one caliber at a time I found out, 100 per makes the production and set up even more cost effective. I came to the conclusion there was not enough money in it though, at least not 10 at a time. My one man shop is too small. And customers would try and use the wrong metal and destroy the dies, like mystery brass from the hardware store. We got dies back that were gouged and bent, that takes some effort considering these are professionally hardened tool steel based items.

Charlie was using a good machine shop for awhile and his hardening shop was excellent but pricey. I think his original shop increased the price greatly and I got the impression they didn't have the desire to make the FreeChex tools anymore. Many times after hardening, the tolerances change too much and major rework is needed or they end up as scrap. Dad was selling homemade aluminum gas checks on eBay for years and years. I got to helping him and thought there must be a better way to make these! It took a few years to find punch press equipment we could afford, but I finally got good enough to make my own punch dies and learned a lot about antique punch presses.

The FreeChex design is easy to make in your garage, just need a decent band saw, lathe and mill. Don't need big stuff, a 10" lathe and a basic 1 hp bench mill can get it done. I learned after a while its best to start out with new equipment, fighting antique lathes and mills gets old real quick. You could use O1 tool steel and quench with cooking oil or use the better air cooled steel with the foil bags. You would need a kiln of some sort though and good ones aren't cheap. Around here I think they charge around $60 per piece for hardening, but the more you do the better the price.

Set up a home machine shop! Its very interesting, especially when you realize how many different things you make and restore.

No_1
07-23-2021, 05:01 AM
Thread locked. As can be seen in this thread and many other threads related to this manufacturer - your experience may vary.

Not sure if anyone else got this e-mail from Pat last week. I understand potential shortages, but when he requires my money upfront and now I'm 5 months into waiting (holding my money) and I do find it frustrating and growingly annoyed by it. I waited nearly 5 years for my Shiloh (and have about 18-20 months for my next one), but I didn't have to pay for them up front. So yes, I do have patience, but this is definitely straining it. Not sure that if in the future I want another gas check maker tool I'll use Pat. I didn't know about Dave's until after my order was place with Pat.....;-)

Pat's email:

Dear Patmarlins customers….

Most of you know I’ve been brutally honest with my customers.

Each and every one since I started the Checkmaker™ dies design back in 2008.

Right now I’m trying to choose my words carefully.

Since I’ve been in business, there's always been one or two individuals who make it a point to try and harass me, and accuse me of everything from fraud to thievery, and complain across the internet and to every agency they can that they have been ripped off because they believe they've had to wait to long for my product.

Frustration at the moment is at a fever pitch.

It’s never been easy, being a one man shop- investing in the equipment and machines necessary to provide cast shooters in this industry a way to save money with our sport... one that’s always been near and dear to my heart.

Thankfully, I have a very nice shop with quality machines that has been paid for years ago. You paid for it. Your hard earned dollars paying for my work.

That fact that I have the best customers, who have hung in with me through thick and thin and have ordered numerous times over all these years speaks volumes, and has been my inspiration to stay in this industry and strive to improve.

You think you would have it all figured but I’m still coming up with innovative ideas that make my operation go smoother, and improve the quality of my dies.

I don’t spend one dime on advertising. Haven’t for years and my customers still order world wide. My dies are a niche- very small specialized business segment in cast shooting. There is no one getting rich here.

But now the world has gone freaking crazy.

I spend a great deal of time waiting on my supply orders, searching out suppliers because some have discontinued what I used to rely on daily.

There has been a world wide shortage of some tool steel I use... and what orders have trickled in, some of the quality is crap. I have to chuck every bar stock on a lathe and check it before I install it in my CNC machines. It has destroyed tooling and tool inserts.

Thankfully, my suppliers immediately send replacements but they are having a hell of a time. The wait across the board in the United States for the simplest items I used to take for granted like tooling, tool inserts, steel, aluminum, machine repair parts and more has just been unbelievable, and the cost is skyrocketing. The only way I can do this is by taking pre-paid orders.

Your prepaid order places you inline and I guarantee I will get you a quality set of dies like I always have.

I’m always trying to stay ahead of the game. I have large pending (pre-paid) orders for supplies, and I’ve placed huge orders in tooling where some has been discontinued so I can keep making dies for years to come.

I spent over $400 on one (very small) cobalt boring bar I’ve used to make my female dies because they discontinued them with no reliable replacement. I bought enough for over 10 years worth of dies and I can resharpen them. I take what I can get and build dies and send them out asap.

This climate in our country has caused a record number of sales of which I’m very thankful. The fact is if I had everything I needed daily, I could be caught up in a relatively short amount of time. If anyone knows anything about me I don’t give up. This thing will pass and work itself out. American is the most resilient country in the world and has shown that throughout history time and time again.

I appreciate your patience and business. Trust me when I say nothing will make me happier than to get your order built and shipped so you can enjoy and have the security of being able to make your own quality gas checks and let it be one more thing you can control yourself.

Keep your powder dry and God Bless everyone.

-Pat