PDA

View Full Version : Why we do what we do

FISH4BUGS
03-12-2021, 07:57 AM
Last night, I had one of my occasional manic loading sessions.
I wound up loading almost 1500 44 specials.
Earlier this winter I cast, sized and lubed these bullets and they just kept calling my name to get used. Just knowing they were sitting there in coffee cans unused bothered me. I even thought about selling them here but decided not to.
Dillon 550 press, H&G # 503 cast bullet, 6.0 gr WW 231.
My hat's off to Dillon for a great product and perfect customer support.
Once I get the press perfectly adjusted and get on a roll, it is hard to stop.
I wasn't tired so I just kept going.
The ammo cans full of the loaded ammo stacked in the closet is a very comforting sight in this ammo "shortage".
I think this is why we have become almost self-sufficient in this ammo game.
Gang, when this "shortage" is over, stock up on components.
You will not regret it one bit.

kbstenberg
03-12-2021, 09:12 AM
I am glad someone else has those times. A week or so ago. I was casting. Everything was going smooth as silk. All of a sudden the silver stream slowed down. I looked in the pot and the lead level was almost to the bottom. I already had some lead up to temperature sitting on my hot plate. I filled my dripomatick, threw a few ingots in the pre-heater and went back to casting.
I no more than started casting again. An the pot was empty. So i refilled my pot again. An told myself i was only going to cast a couple more and call it quits. That couple more turned into another mostly empty pot.
This was one of those few times i just kind of zoned out. Kept track of my casting cadance but not of the time.

robg
03-12-2021, 09:40 AM
so days it all comes together and your in the zone.

lightman
03-12-2021, 09:48 AM
I have a couple of buddies coming over to cast this morning. I'll head out to the shop shortly, clean off the workbench and turn my pot on. I'll be casting 210 grain bullets for my 41 magnum.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
I am glad someone else has those times. A week or so ago. I was casting. Everything was going smooth as silk. All of a sudden the silver stream slowed down. I looked in the pot and the lead level was almost to the bottom. I already had some lead up to temperature sitting on my hot plate. I filled my dripomatick, threw a few ingots in the pre-heater and went back to casting.
I no more than started casting again. An the pot was empty. So i refilled my pot again. An told myself i was only going to cast a couple more and call it quits. That couple more turned into another mostly empty pot.
This was one of those few times i just kind of zoned out. Kept track of my casting cadance but not of the time.

LOL...I resemble these remarks.
As I am winding down a casting session, I tell my self, "OK, one more pour and I'm done". Of course, that pour always goes well and results in a mold full of keepers. So I tell myself again, "one more pour and I'm done". I generally repeat this until I get a pour that doesn't result in a mold full of keepers. Sounds like someone at the Bar, near closing time, LOL.
... But, I guess it's rare for me to fill an empty pot to continue, that is usually where I draw the line.

Beagle333
03-12-2021, 10:29 AM
I do love it when I hit a good streak and it is going smoothly. It's hard to stop when the boolits or rounds are falling effortlessly. A nice shiny pile of flawless boolits or a few boxes of loaded rounds is a great source of personal pride and accomplishment.

And of components.... a nice pile of them is a great thing too. There has been no noticeable silencing of the guns at my range. Blast away! :grin:

bluebird66
03-12-2021, 04:03 PM
I have plenty of bullets, primers and powder. Just have to roll them up.