PDA

View Full Version : Wire swaging fun

marky123
03-12-2021, 12:56 AM
https://youtu.be/g3YYaijENl8
https://youtu.be/VRWJWRROxy8

rancher1913
03-12-2021, 10:43 AM
why do you put wire panels behind your tin walls, is that a theft deterrent.

imashooter2
03-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Is that a hobbyist or commercial application?

marky123
03-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Is that a hobbyist or commercial application?
We're trying,this was a test of the equipment.
We're going to try and make the wire continuous.

jdfoxinc
03-13-2021, 07:11 PM
Could you post a still of both sides of your die?

midnight
03-15-2021, 03:44 PM
That's an awfully big press to extrude lead wire. My Hydra-Swage from Richard Corbin squirts out that much large wire in 4 to 5 seconds. My billets are about 4 inches long and about .85 in diameter. I keep adding billets & my wire is continuous. The key is to use very, very small amounts of lube on the billet and then only in the center. I roll the wire onto spools and it is continuous.

Bob

baddoglowder
03-18-2021, 08:23 PM
Midnight -I've got D Corbins CHP-1 hydro-press and every time I extrude the wire I always get a weak spot were I put in a new billet to draw . That's why I only do the section into links per billet and trim the bad end off - I read it was suggested to do it that way but maybe I missed something . As long as it works without problems I see no harm . It sure would be easier in rolls to make up for later instead of when its needed as it adds time to the overall operation .

midnight
03-19-2021, 08:03 PM
I first made wire with a little die made bt a member here. It screwed into the top of my Rockchucker. Had to screw the die down 1/2 turn at a time to extrude a 300 gr 44 Mag bullet into about 4 inches of .250 wire. There was a joint between each section that separated easily. I lubed the bullet well with swage lube. With the hydraulic press I use hardly any lube on the billet, just a little on my finger & thumb like point forming. I cant even see any joints in the wire. I'm convinced an excess of lube allows joints to separate. My wire & die get very hot and I don't waste any time putting new billets in. My wire is wound on about 50 lb spools & has never broken at a joint. Your press has plenty of power. If you could devise a longer stroke & use as large a billet as possible you could get a pretty long length of wire, especially with .187 wire.

Bob