PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a base pusher lube sizer? (to protect hollow point nose)

8shot
03-11-2021, 08:14 PM
I have a couple of Lee sizers but would like one with internal lubing like my Lyman 450 - but one that pushes on the base so the hollow point noses aren't touched.

AndyC
03-11-2021, 08:56 PM
Star, if you're talking a full-on lube-sizer machine.

8shot
03-12-2021, 08:53 AM
What about this unit made buy a forum member: Ballisti-cast Mark VI Sizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTL5zz_azk

tazman
03-12-2021, 11:33 AM
What I do is use a Lee push through to size, then run it through my Lyman lubrisizer to lube. Two steps but it takes the pressure off the boolit nose and takes the stress off the lubrisizer as well.

Larry Gibson
03-12-2021, 11:37 AM
What I do is use a Lee push through to size, then run it through my Lyman lubrisizer to lube. Two steps but it takes the pressure off the boolit nose and takes the stress off the lubrisizer as well.

Works for me too.....

8shot
03-12-2021, 01:34 PM
Thanks...really trying to cut down on bullet handling

Green Frog
03-12-2021, 02:08 PM
In that case, you have the choice of nose first through the Star or tumble lubing then nose first through Lee or other push through. Of course you could look for an antique like the Meepos or do a mod on a LAM or Lubri-sizer, but your initial post didn't sound like that is what you want to do.

Froggie

Golfswithwolves
03-12-2021, 02:48 PM
I believe that there are some mould makers who can provide bullet punches which fit the hollow points of their moulds (molds?) so that most sizing machines can use them and not collapse the bullet noses as they push on them. But I can't remember which makers might provide these punches. I wonder if a nail might work?

Thin Man
03-13-2021, 10:42 AM
I started looking for a few Lee push-through sizers recently and found my distributor had nothing. The high volume online dealers had nothing. There were a few showing up on auction sites but the sellers were asking well beyond retail for everything they had. Now it looks like I will delay this search for the present time and wait for the market to calm down. The experiments I had planned are a "want" rather than a "need". They can wait.

8shot
03-13-2021, 10:53 AM
I have tooling and if I could locate an extra MP Mold hollow point pin could make a top punch with HP pin inserted. But I'd rather just buy a Star or one of those Ballisti-cast Mark VI Sizers if available. So far no luck finding a complete one with .358 dies. I see dies are available by another forum member...which might be the only option.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-13-2021, 11:00 AM
When I started casting 15-20 years ago, I went with the Lee push-through dies for several reasons. First, because I was poor, and they were cheap. Second, because I could use them on my reloading press, and didn't need to get another separate piece of what was, to me back then, very expensive equipment. The whole reason I started casting bullets was to cut costs. The third reason is because I didn't know any better. I was learning to cast bullets by myself. I didn't know there was another, possibly better, way to do things. The thing is, it worked for me. And has worked for me ever since. I still use the Lee push through dies. And up until last month, I was still lubing with Liquid Alox, tumbled on the bullets in a ziploc bag, and left to dry overnight. I have heard a lot of crap about those Lee dies. Not on this forum, but on a couple of others. But the thing is, they work. Yes, lots of places are out of them right now. But give it some time. They will eventually catch back up. I think they are a great solution for sizing hollow points.

-Mb

8shot
03-13-2021, 11:11 AM
I have used the Lee push thru sizer (have a few) and I agree they work great..I just don't like the mess with lube covering the entire bullet and getting into the HP cavity. If I was only loading small runs...no problem..but I want to size thousands and will continue looking for a Star or similar press.

beagle
03-13-2021, 11:57 AM
YOHAO - You have another option......if using a Lyman or RCBS sizer.
Make a "nosepicker top punch".
Can be done with an electric drill, flat file and calipers and a piece of 5/16" aluminum round stock. Use the drill as a lathe and the file as a cutting tool.
Turn the rod to fit the sizer receptacle. Normally about .260" as I recall. Them turn a small "tit" on the end that goes into the sizer die. This will be the same size as the HP cavity of slightly larger. Make it about 3/16" long. You're done.
The new TP fits into the sizer. The tit fits into the HP cavity and also serves to center the bullet during sizing. Gives you a bullet with a nice open, round cavity. Got 6 or 8 on the bench that I use constantly. 15 minutes to "turn" a new size when you need one./beagle

onelight
03-13-2021, 12:04 PM
Can be done with an electric drill, flat file and calipers and a piece of 5/16" aluminum round stock. Use the drill as a lathe and the file as a cutting tool.
Turn the rod to fit the sizer receptacle. Normally about .260" as I recall. Them turn a small "tit" on the end that goes into the sizer die. This will be the same size as the HP cavity of slightly larger. Make it about 3/16" long. You're done.
The new TP fits into the sizer. The tit fits into the HP cavity and also serves to center the bullet during sizing. Gives you a bullet with a nice open, round cavity. Got 6 or 8 on the bench that I use constantly. 15 minutes to "turn" a new size when you need one./beagle
That's a neat idea .👍

8shot
03-13-2021, 12:32 PM

Thanks...been thinking along those lines (have a lathe and mill). I need to experiment - the factory cast bullets I have - 130gr HP shoot 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards. Already made one top punch but really would like to insert a MP Molds hollow point pin to maintain the same cavity dimensions Expect another 3K of that factory bullet to be delivered in about 2 months...hopefully in time for competition.!!! The HP mold casts the exact same bullet...I just need to ensure that my castings continue with that established accuracy. Right now...still can't get to my 50 yard range (snow).

But having a Star...would make life easier.

8shot
03-18-2021, 11:29 AM
Problem fixed...located a new Magma Star...& ordered a set of dies from forum member lathesmith.

quack1
03-19-2021, 08:26 AM
You can take the top punch on your Lyman 450 and drill a shallow hole larger in diameter than your hollow point. Putting the pressure of sizing on the sides of the bullet nose, instead of the tip, leaves the diameter of the hollow point unchanged. Only takes a few minutes work on a lathe.

Alferd Packer
03-21-2021, 05:30 AM
If you remove the center from your Lyman 450 sizing die and install the wadcutter top punch with the flat bottom, then tumble lube your hollow points taking care to keep the lube out of the hollow noses, all you need do is push them nose first into your 450 with the .358 die installed minus the bottom push rod .The bullets will push thru nose first and you can catch them each in your hand at the bottom.
Just feed them in one after the other.
If they are too oversize, you will need to cut a short length of wooden dowel to finish pushing each hollowpoint slug out. as the nose
may get deformed on the next slug doing the pushing.
Using the
LEE Alox I have been able to size a great many different bullets by pushing them down thru the sizing dies and catching then by hand.As I said , if needed a short piece of wood dowel may be needed to push individual bullets thru and out the die if they are too tight or deform the nose (hollowpoint) when pushing one bullet after another.
Sometimes you had the answer there all the time.
If you have a lathe or you can file or turn down a short pin with a flat bottom in the place of your top punch making it just long enough to push the base of the bullet thru same as a LEE push thru sizer setup except upside down.