PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Double Shotgun

RustyReel
03-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Finally able to snag one of those Husky double hammer guns. Been trying for a while but always got the "Sorry, we just sold that" response. This one is a Model 20B, 12 Ga, 2-1/2 chambers and 27.5" barrels. Got it cheaper than usual because the left barrel has a noticeable bulge about 2" from the muzzle. Not a deal breaker as I have wanted to shorten one of these to remove the chokes and this is the perfect candidate.

Anyway, most of the chokes on these Husky doubles are rated Full/Extra full. When I tapped (hammered) a .715 RB thru the right barrel it came out a .691. Dropped down to a .690 RB on the left (bulged barrel) and it came out at .684 so definately full chokes.

Think I'll PC a few .690 RB and run them thru the right barrel with some black powder loads just to see what it will do before I make the final decision to shorten the tubes. Any reason not to do this?? If not, I'll let you guys know how it went if I ever get a chance to get to the range.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings (no one's home so........)

longbow
03-11-2021, 11:02 PM
I've been wanting to do that myself!

I am currently debating spending some toy money but I'm torn! I can't decide what I want more... a side by to try to turn into a poor man's double rifle by cutting down to 20" or maybe 22" and adding rifle sights or buying either a rifled barrel for my Mossberg slugster or buying a new Filed and Deer 2 in 1 combo.

I see some pretty good deals on old side by's rated in good condition and about the same price a as the rifled barrel. I really, really want a side by hammer gun preferably with 3" chambers but 2 3/4" will do... in fact I'd even go with 2 1/2".

Are you planning to use round balls or slugs in yours?

The big issue with side by's of course is regulation. I doubt many side by shotguns will have both barrels shoot to close point of aim out to 50 yards. I have read of, but not tried, a trick to correct point of aim and that is to file the muzzles slightly beveled. It apparently doesn't take much, like a few thou, to change POA. Not sure if it works or how well but worth a try especially if barrels are being cut down anyway.

Please keep us posted on your adventure. I just may follow in your footsteps!

Longbow

Outpost75
03-12-2021, 12:20 AM
I have one of these also of similar choke dimensions. I need to do some experimental shooting and report.

Cap'n Morgan
03-12-2021, 05:31 AM
The Husqvarna Mod 20 is a fairly strong gun despite being based on the Lefaucheux system. It was a Swedish "poor man's gun" and you won't commit any unforgivable sin by chopping a few inches off the barrel. A couple of decades ago, my local gun pusher had a dozen or so on the shelves. The price was about $150 apiece if I remember correctly.

RustyReel
03-12-2021, 07:02 PM
I think I'll start with a powder coated, otherwise naked, .690 RB in the right barrel. 65-70 grains FFg and enough fiber wads to bring the ball up to roll crimp height in a 2.5" case. Only going to load 3 rounds and see if I can hit the 30x30" target backer at 50 yards. If I can I'll load a few more for next time out and if not I'll do 3 more and move up to 25 yds next time.

My gun is a later production example of this model with a 22k range serial number. Gives it a 1950/51 manufactured date. From what I have researched, the Husky hammer shotguns made after WWII are safe with smokeless loads but I have not interest in beating the crap out of the gun or me!!

After I shorten the barrels I'm not sure what I will try. Have both of the Lee and both of the Lyman 12 ga slug molds along with a few RB molds (largest is .715), so lots of stuff to play with.

Outpost75
03-12-2021, 08:16 PM
I'm leaving my Husky as-is because it appropriately serves here in its traditional agricultural-utility role as a "farmer's gun." I have a single-barrel Beretta FS-1 which is accurate with slug loads and passable with .69 round ball within 25 yards or so if I want to scratch that itch. The 2-1/2" chambers are no issue for me, because RST classic game loads are effective and affordable. There isn't much I can't do with one ounce of copper plated lead No.6 shot here. I have hoarded a few rounds of RST Bismuth No.5s in case I get invited to hunt waterfowl in an area and cannot use lead shot.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/2-12-Gauge.aspx

RustyReel
03-15-2021, 05:45 PM
Loaded up a few black powder round ball loads to try in the good barrel of my Husky. Two slightly different loads. My crimping technique needs a bit of work and that's the first thing I'll blame poor accuracy on. I just wanna make some smoke. Hopefully within the next week or so...