PDA

View Full Version : Changing lube

contendernut
03-11-2021, 06:39 PM
What is the best way to cclean old lube out of lubesizer if I want to change lubes? It’s a hard lube so some heat will be required and I don’t want to knock the factory finish off the sizer

Winger Ed.
03-11-2021, 06:43 PM
I take out the die, the plunger, and wave a hardware store propane torch around on it to heat it up.
Don't get it very much hotter than you can hold your hand on.
The stuff runs right out and doesn't hurt the paint.

ReloaderFred
03-11-2021, 08:08 PM
I just use the old lube on bullets until it runs out, then put the new lube in.

Hope this helps.

Fred

pworley1
03-11-2021, 08:14 PM
I remove the die and run the old lube out through the hole left by the die. There will still be some of the old lube in the press but the new lube will show up after a few bullets.

Mk42gunner
03-11-2021, 09:33 PM
I take out the die, the plunger, and wave a hardware store propane torch around on it to heat it up.
I agree.

It is also much neater than boiling the old lube out.

Robert

barnabus
03-12-2021, 05:49 AM
put mine in a toaster oven on a cookie sheet on 150 degrees. in about 10 minutes its empty

Alstep
03-12-2021, 08:42 PM
An electric heat gun comes in handy here. No flame and gentle heat. Doesn't take long for the old lub to run out.

doulos
03-15-2021, 10:23 AM
An electric heat gun comes in handy here. No flame and gentle heat. Doesn't take long for the old lub to run out.
Ditto
Just cleaned up a Lyman with a heat gun. Just took it apart and put it on old baking pan and heated it up.

LenH
03-15-2021, 11:55 AM
Didn't have a heat gun but used an old hair dryer, melted everything out . Had it sitting in an old coffee can.

osteodoc08
03-18-2021, 07:08 PM

This is what I did when I changed lube. Just don’t get it hot. Dropped in a pie pan and used during the next smelting session.

DHDeal
03-21-2021, 08:27 AM
The first time I cleaned up an old LAM, I boiled the old lube out. It was messy but wiped it off with paper towels as soon as I pulled it out of the water and it did a good job. If I were to do it again, I'd use my heat gun.

44magLeo
03-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Heat guns are very handy for a lot of things. I first got mine for heat shrinking wrapping wiring harnesses on old motorcyles I rebuild. Found it works well for removing lables off bottles and jars.
I don't have a lube-suzer but it works for pan lubing. Once i have taken boolits out of the lube, I put more in the holes. I then use the heat gun to warm the boolits and melt the lube at the same time.
I got mine at Harbor Freight. The first one was the cheapest. It burnt out after a few years. The second one cost more and has worke for many years. I don't recall the prices, you can look them up on thier website.
Leo

doulos
03-30-2021, 11:57 AM
Heat guns are pretty cheap. I think I paid about 25 bucks for one at lowes. They create a lot more heat than a hairdryer. I tried melting the lube out of my Lyman with a hair dryer. I am too impatient for something that slow. The heat gun was very quick.

3006guns
03-30-2021, 12:23 PM
I just used boiling water.........large old kettle on the stove. Came out squeaky clean with no damage at all. Don't use the kettle for cooking afterwards though...........:)

Gundogx2
03-30-2021, 02:07 PM
Heat gun has many more uses down the road my 2 cents fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upnorthwis
03-30-2021, 02:30 PM
After years of changing lubes due to BPCR, I went and bought another lubri-sizer.

onelight
03-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Heat gun has many more uses down the road my 2 cents fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup I find it handy to have around for a lot of things .

Mk42gunner
03-30-2021, 09:56 PM
After years of changing lubes due to BPCR, I went and bought another lubri-sizer.

After boiling my first LAM out, I decided I wasn't going to change lube from smokeless to BP and back. I bought a gray 450 and used the propane torch method to clean it of the nasty hardened black lube that was in it. A few months later, I found another 450, this one orange with the new style handle and a heater attached. Had to clean it out too.

No matter what lubrisizer I have bought, they all came with unknown lube in them. Better to clean it out and start fresh in my mind.

Of course I have never ponied up the money for a new one either.

Robert