PDA

View Full Version : Can Opener - Heads up

gwpercle
03-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
Gary

gbrown
03-11-2021, 05:00 PM
I 2nd your opinion. Cheaply made, worthless stuff. I use old, hand turned can openers. Old stuff. SWMBO always fusses at me to use the under cabinet electric one. Nope, ain't gonna do it. Easy as pie, can chunk it in the dishwasher and clean it.

Winger Ed.
03-11-2021, 05:23 PM
I've had a couple of the electric el cheapos that would make metal filings on top of the can.

I've since gone to the more or less heavy duty hand crank ones at the grocery store.
They work pretty fast, and last us 2-3 years before they dull out.

MUSTANG
03-11-2021, 05:29 PM
we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.

ShooterAZ
03-11-2021, 05:38 PM
Swiss Army knife can opener works well for me when the others fail. P38's work good too.

Bills Shed
03-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Yes, a good can opener is a under rated item. I too have can openers similar to those above. The Australian Army HAD, a slightly longer version that incorporated a spoon and a bottle opener. Excellent steel and we still have them everywhere in the house, shed and vehicles. Very practical and work every time. As Army people do, they had a name, FRED, Fu..ing Ridiculous Eating Device. Apparently the Aust Army have gone to your shorter version now. Either way they worked well then and still working now.
Bill

Winger Ed.
03-11-2021, 06:55 PM
the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC)

We couldn't hardly get them in the wing.
However; I still have mine from boot camp.

Somehow,,,,,
I ended up with a few of the stainless steel, four blade, survival knives with one blade being a can opener,
that went into the inflatable life rafts and survival kits.

CastingFool
03-11-2021, 09:21 PM
I still have a P38 in my key ring. One has been there since my first trip out on the field, while in basic training, back in 1971. Plus, I have a bunch of them in a drawer.

iomskp
03-11-2021, 09:43 PM
Still got mine with the para cord I put on it a lifetime ago

GhostHawk
03-11-2021, 09:43 PM
We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4RH8E6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. zvdIWHYTcAGtA6r1uNeAIAHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)

gbrown
03-12-2021, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I have 3 or 4 P-38s. Found some at a gunshow some years back. New in their original brown paper wrapping. I have one on a keyring in the truck. Also have an old metal can opener in the console. Gotta be prepared. Never know.

Thundarstick
03-12-2021, 07:27 AM
I have been using the Farberwear hands free battery operated portable for years. The only problems I've had is the Wife dropping them in the floor too many times and cracking the case, then the batteries fall out. It also cuts the side seal and doesn't leave a sharp edge. I like then so much I've given then as Christmas presents.

beemer
03-12-2021, 07:58 AM
we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.

Best can opener in the world,

Simple

It works

Cheep

What you got in your pocket ?

trapper9260
03-12-2021, 08:13 AM

I have one on my keychain that I use most of the times

Froogal
03-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
Gary

I'll take it one step further. DON'T buy anything from Wal-Mart.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2021, 10:12 AM
My grandparents had one of the old "Swing-A-Way" openers that was mounted to the wall. It had a lever handle and a crank on it. That thing was probably 40+ years old when I saw it as a kid and it worked perfectly.
I have a hand held "Swing-A-Way" brand opener that is probably going on 20+ years. It is about as simple and functional as you can get. That thing is bullet proof. I wouldn't even THINK about replacing that device.

While we're on the topic of Swing-A-Way products, they make the BEST hand held jar opener in the world. It is a simple stamped steel device that is adjustable and operated by a single lever. If you know someone that occasionally needs a good jar opener - this is the ONE.

Mal Paso
03-12-2021, 10:22 AM
Farberware isn't what it used to be. I have 50 year old Farberware pans in daily use but the can opener I got in a recent set of Farberware utensils was awful. I read the reviews on amazon and bought a Qwesen, It was highly rated by old pharts as easy to turn and came with a spare cutter. Not admitting to getting old, mind you, just prepared.

farmbif
03-12-2021, 10:27 AM
its just part of the china Walmart throw away plan to fill out landfills to capacity

MaryB
03-12-2021, 03:38 PM
We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4RH8E6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. zvdIWHYTcAGtA6r1uNeAIAHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)

What I use, arthritic hands don't like can openers. Only thing I use my 20 year old $1 special can openers on is tuna where I use the lid to press down and drain it. Advantage to that style electric is the lid can be placed back on top of the can to store it in the fridge overnight if you only use half(I live alone, often do this).

GregLaROCHE
03-12-2021, 03:58 PM
+1 for P-38. Looks like a lot of us have used them.

VariableRecall
03-12-2021, 04:30 PM

Never used one of those before but that looks like a nice little can opener. Do they make quality reproductions of them? I'd suppose they would be easy to find in surplus stores. Is that the case?

I've used the "Punch and Twist" can openers before, but that thing would be a lot easier to day-pack with than the handled kind...

MUSTANG
03-12-2021, 05:13 PM
You can find the John Wayne/P38 can opener in most sporting goods store cooking sections, or at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-Opener-5-pack/dp/B005EAIXAU

Reason is most of the seasoned members of this site remember it is because it was introduced in 1942 to open canned individual rations for service members. In my memory, it was quite common over the decades for the John Wayne/P38 to be worn on the chain of one's dog tags, so it was always with a Service Member. A few were included in every case of "C-Rats" the military had. In the late 1980's as I recall; was when the plastic baggy food came into the military (MRE- Meals Ready to Eat). With that change the John Wayne/P38 can opener left the military except they could (still can?) be found in the military PX's. They are such a handy little, small footprint, device they are still commonly found - particularly in Sporting Goods Stores.

one-eyed fat man
03-12-2021, 05:22 PM

This one has been in service since October 1968...and a grenade pin pull ring still makes the best keyring.

gwpercle
03-12-2021, 06:28 PM

I've used them and still have a few , even demonstrated for my son and his cub scout pack how to open cans with them ... then got old ... the fingers just don't work like they used to .

Not giving in to electric just yet ... I can still turn a thumb crank ,
looking at another Swing-A-Way or one called EZ-DUZ-IT or one labeled Made in USA ... all three of these are still made in the USA and should do better than New York Chinese made .
Gary

gwpercle
03-12-2021, 06:30 PM
This one has been in service since October 1968...and a grenade pin pull ring still makes the best keyring.

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
Gary

VariableRecall
03-12-2021, 06:34 PM
You can find the John Wayne/P38 can opener in most sporting goods store cooking sections, or at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-Opener-5-pack/dp/B005EAIXAU

Reason is most of the seasoned members of this site remember it is because it was introduced in 1942 to open canned individual rations for service members. In my memory, it was quite common over the decades for the John Wayne/P38 to be worn on the chain of one's dog tags, so it was always with a Service Member. A few were included in every case of "C-Rats" the military had. In the late 1980's as I recall; was when the plastic baggy food came into the military (MRE- Meals Ready to Eat). With that change the John Wayne/P38 can opener left the military except they could (still can?) be found in the military PX's. They are such a handy little, small footprint, device they are still commonly found - particularly in Sporting Goods Stores.

I've seen those P-38 can openers in action thanks to a Youtuber, Steve1989 that collects and eats old MRE's, including C-Rations and more exotic ration meals.

Makes me wonder if you could modify one to key in a separate, longer handle for people that have trouble using it.

Winger Ed.
03-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Makes me wonder if you could modify one to key in a separate, longer handle for people that have trouble using it.

There are aftermarket ones that are noticeably bigger.

I've seen them on display racks where camping stuff is located.

2A-Jay
03-12-2021, 07:18 PM
I have 2 P-38 openers one on my issue Dog Tag Chain on one on my Key Chain, I have had both since 1971 when I finished Bootcamp. I also have one of the larger ones that were used for opening the25 pound coffee cans.

Still use then to this day.

poorman
03-12-2021, 07:29 PM
The larger ones are p51's
I have dozens stashed everywhere https://www.etsy.com/listing/818286122/p-51-us-shelby-co-stainless-steel-can?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_all&utm_custom1=_k_3192375e185113ca80db5715e0f6b946_k_&utm_content=bing_319339186_1310617986645934_819136 44654434_pla-4585513245482005%3Apla-4585513245482005_c__818286122&utm_custom2=319339186&variation0=1490080687

EMC45
03-13-2021, 02:23 PM
I have a P38 in my wallet right now. The wife insists on using electric can openers. The past 3 have been heaps of junk. I bought a crank type for the kitchen drawer. I like swiss army knife can openers too.

gwpercle
04-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Follow up on can opener quest .
I was bound and determined to buy an opener ...not made in China !
I got tired of looking around town and went to Amazon (my wife actually ordered it but I found it )
The brand name is ....wait for it ... MADE IN USA ... looks a lot like my old Swing-A-Way (which are now made in China) but it's built like a Sherman Tank . Very sharp , smooth and easy operation .
If anyone's looking for a good manual can opener MADE IN USA gets a 10 + 5 gold stars .
I Like It !!!
Gary