PDA

View Full Version : .46 cal Slant Breech Sharps

Straycatcdr
03-11-2021, 02:52 PM
I don't exactly know where on this forum to put this question but here goes. Apparently in the 1852 or 1853 Sharps slant breech, there was a .46 caliber. I'm seeing them on dug up collector websites. I think that is what I have. I've tried .455 Webley bullets, but they keyholed. It hit the bullseye, however, at 100 yards. I don't know how this happens if the boolits were not catching the grooves. Has anyone ever heard of this caliber in a Sharps percussion? If so, are there any molds around? Thanks for any input.

Mk42gunner
03-11-2021, 09:05 PM
I don't know what calibers they were originally meant to be, but would expect a lot of variation from guns of that era.

If you truly have a shootable original, I would slug the bore to get an accurate measurement, then order a custom mold. you shouldn't need any sizing die. Paper cartridge and a musket cap and you should be good.

Robert

rmark
03-21-2021, 10:10 PM
The 1852 sporting rifles came in .526, .427, and .373 according to Sharps Firearms by Marcot, Paxton, Marron, p.183

Straycatcdr
03-21-2021, 10:54 PM
Mine is an 1853 slant breech sporting rifle. I'm seeing these bullets attributed to slant breech Sharps in dug up collectors websites. They are even on eBay. All .46 cal, which I think is what mine is. There must be some reference to them somewhere. Thank you for the replies.

elk hunter
03-22-2021, 09:28 AM
A friend has an 1853 slant breech sporting rifle that the seller said is 44 caliber. The little information I have found is quite vague about the exact caliber's of these rifles. I'm attempting to remove the nipple and breech seal from the breech block so he can get it ready to shoot. When we get the breech block in order I'll slug the bore and pour a chamber cast to see what we need for a bullet. One source stated the original chambers were made for a specific bullet and that other shapes do not want to fit in the chamber. So far I haven't found a mould maker that lists a specific bullet for this particular rifle/caliber. Old firearms present unique challenges but, that's part of what makes them interesting.

rmark
03-22-2021, 11:56 AM
The Sharps company may have used bore size not groove size to designate caliber - I think that was a problem during the Civil War. Officers requested ammunition by the wrong measurement causing confusion. Been a while since I read that though.

Mk42gunner
03-22-2021, 07:49 PM
This doesn't help the size question, but Karl on InRangetv has a few videos of shooting paper cartridge Sharps carbines. He posts on youtube and ful30.

Robert