PDA

View Full Version : Went and did something stupid...

bakerjw
03-11-2021, 11:31 AM
So the black powder gang was at the range last week when I had RSO duties. Not the cartridge guys but the flintlock folk. They have so much fun hanging out and shooting. When someone knocks down a silhouette at 175 or 200 yards, they cheer and yell which had me assuring some new range members that all was well and that it was just a celebration.

So, I know that the rule at home is "No more guns." In my own defense I have only picked up a pair of new handguns this year so I've abided by it for the most part and those were paid for by gift cards from my employer so they didn't count as a purchase.

But yesterday I bought a Traditions .50 cal Kentucky rifle kit. I mentioned a new rifle to my better half and she said "No more guns." Once I explained that it was a black powder rifle, she was more amenable to the idea. Oh, she has no idea of how addictive this might become.

StuBach
03-11-2021, 11:48 AM
[emoji1787]

No more guns....you funnnnnyyyyy.

Every time I tell my wife I have enough and there are only my two “white whale” guns left to find, she knows better. Only acquired one gun in last 18mos and she’s the one who bought it for me (anniversary gift).

Your better half knows better, she’s just trying to make you owe her so she can cash in on it at a later date. Or at least that’s what my wife tells me she’s doing [emoji16].

tunnug
03-11-2021, 12:13 PM
I would have said "it's not a gun, it's a rifle" but then again, maybe why I'm always in trouble with the missus.

trails4u
03-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Technically not a firearm, right?? It doesn't count.

waksupi
03-11-2021, 01:14 PM
As long as rocks are still in existence, we will always shoot flinters!

osteodoc08
03-11-2021, 01:28 PM
That one doesn’t count. You don’t have to buy “reloading supplies” for it......per se

Conditor22
03-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Tell her they are an investment both for your family's safety and for $ in the future. Good guns seldom go down in value.

JoeJames
03-11-2021, 03:05 PM
Flintlock or percussion cap rifles may be the only weapons left after the next couple of years. Might mention that.

bedbugbilly
03-13-2021, 10:48 AM
"No sweetheart . . l it's not new . . . you probably just forgot . . . . I've had this for years."

Congrats on your new kit and it will be a fun rifle - tie in a little history to it when you talk with your wife and then convince her to come with you and shoot it - not unlike the brave women of yesteryear who helped settle this country. :-)

And yes . . sigh . . . they are addictive just like the cartridge guns so get used to it. LOL

richhodg66
03-13-2021, 11:00 AM
Muzzle loaders are a lot of fun and really don't require a lot to get going. Cast is easy in one, no sizers and lube is easily made. I use a set of Lee scoops for measures.

flyingmonkey35
03-13-2021, 11:15 AM
Find a blackpowder group in your area and shoot compatition.

Soo much fun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MrWolf
03-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Tell her you can even make your own powder for it. Besides your great grandfather had one just like it [smilie=w:

curdog
03-14-2021, 09:38 AM
My shooting muzzleloaders started out with one rifle and now i have four. I am headin out to the monthly shoot now and we usually have alot of fun................Curdog

contender1
03-14-2021, 09:57 AM
Well, not knowing how or why the "No more guns" issue comes from,, I'll leave that part alone. Hopefully she's not an anti-gunner or afraid of them etc.

As for the flinter. If you REALLY want to stir the pot,, just over the hills a bit,, in Candler NC,, is Jim Chambers Flintlocks. They sell kits, teach building, etc. (I won't tell you that they are my son's inlaws,, and that my DIL is the prez of the company.)

But they are seriously good fun, AND quite effective if you understand them.

My DIL took a Tundra Swan on a permit hunt,, with a flinter shotgun.

gwpercle
03-14-2021, 12:30 PM
It's not a gun ... it's a kit !
Kits aren't guns ... they are kits ... you are ... "technically " good... just don't assemble it untill she forgets about it .
Gary

richhodg66
03-14-2021, 01:16 PM
At the gun show last weekend, I bought a rifle from a guy I have been meaning to for a year or more, never seemed to have the money in hand, but among other cool things he had was a little percussion 28 gauge smoothbore. Had I not been depleted of funds, I'd have likely bought it from him, seems to me a small, efficient little foraging gun like that might be very useful in times to come.

I bought out the supply of #11 percussion caps a shop had recently, wasn't but just a few hundred, but I think they will be easier to find than primers in the future. There are times of the year after muzzle loader season when Wal Mart has Pyrodex priced very reasonably. A guy could keep a small muzzle loader going a long time with stuff that isn't as likely to get over regulated or taxed in the near future.

smithnframe
03-14-2021, 01:17 PM
I thought you said you did something stupid! Doesn’t sound stupid to me. But, I just ordered some kits from DGW!

FLINTNFIRE
03-14-2021, 03:49 PM
I went camping for a few days with a friend , he brought his deceased fathers TC hawken kit gun and I brought my cross between a english sporting rifle and hawken , and a 1860 revolver , fun was had .

Only mistake is it will be the first maybe of more , they are a lot of fun .