PDA

View Full Version : types of charcoal for BP?

BamBam
03-11-2021, 01:50 AM
Howdy howdy from nevada high desert country:
Fella is there some info out there that will tell me if I can use quaking aspen char and get the same or better results than weeping willow or black willow/ because I am severely hampered up here in high desert country ( 5500') and I really want to get started Making my own BP for my 1973 Japanese made brown bess flintlock. I have read about 60 some pages of ya alls threads and you've given me some wonderful information but a couple of people here have said I might have to go to the sovereign country of Kalifornia to get some willow for my small retort. and I really don't want to go there ( over three hundred miles). I'm pretty limited on soft woods so any help would be appreciated. I promise to share all my foibles and successes with you guys .

gun toting monkeyboy
03-11-2021, 03:03 AM
Why not try it and find out? I mean, if you have the wood right there, make a batch and see if the results are acceptable to you.

rancher1913
03-11-2021, 08:14 AM
you can purchase from skylighter or any of the other fireworks suppliers.

GhostHawk
03-11-2021, 08:33 AM
You might want to try making some Yucca charcoal. I have even heard of people using oat grass for super light fast charcoal.
Look around, see what is available. Do some testing. Then post results for the next guy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Maybe have some willow sticks shipped in from a etsy seller?
they sell if for dog chews fairly cheap.

GregLaROCHE
03-11-2021, 11:57 AM
I haven’t made any yet but have done a lot of research on it. The charcoal is the most important ingredient to get right for best performance. Seems like willow is the best and if I were you, I would try to start with it.

ButchC
03-11-2021, 01:01 PM
The aspens have a .35 specific gravity when kiln dry, willows .34-.39, I'm a firm believer that the SG is an indicator of whether or not it will perform reasonably. The fouling characteristics (residue volume, hardness, etc) are contributed by charcoal making temperature and type of wood.

I would absolutely make a batch of charcoal keeping it under 600 degrees F, it there's some wood left in the retort, no worries, better to be on the light roast side. Just take what's charcoal and roast up the leftovers with the next batch.

Especially if you're looking for a pan charge and a booster for pyrodex, I think you'll be pretty pleased with your powder at that point. If you're intending to shoot only home made, you'll likely have a good product, especially since you have the luxury of no rifling (fouling concerns aren't quite as high I'd guess) and the charge volume can be increased to meet your velocity needs based on the density of your product as compared to commercial (a 50gr GOex equivalent might be 90gr of your powder but you've got the space right?).

bruce381
03-11-2021, 07:02 PM
Beaver dam stuff very interesting

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.php?threads/my-office-today.6207/page-13#post-160185

Mk42gunner
03-11-2021, 09:13 PM
I think if I were to try my hand at making black powder; I would buy or build an Eprouvette, or powder tester, just for kicks.

It would be a lot more definitive than "I think that one kicked harder."

Robert