PDA

View Full Version : odd calibur to me

shotman
12-27-2008, 02:31 AM
I picked up 2 rifle cases in the woods. They are head stamped rem 444 but they were necked to 338. what is that?

Buckshot
12-27-2008, 02:59 AM
..............Probably a JDJ cartridge.

..............Buckshot

Scrounger
12-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Correct. http://www.sskindustries.com/cartridges.htm

Pepe Ray
12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Whaart??
Since when does a J.D.J. shooter leave his M.T. cases in the woods?
Somthins wrong with this picture.
Pepe Ray

HeavyMetal
12-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Most likely they fell out of his pocket while hunting!

The work that goes into the JDJ cartridges means he didn't just heave them!

However another senario is possible: one of his kids snuck the gun out to try it!

He fired one round, his bud fired one round ( cause kids never do stupid alone) and they had enough! Brass lay where it fell cause they don't know no better!

6pt-sika
12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I personally prefer a third possible scenario !

The guy that owns the gun was out hunting one year .

And ;

1. He shot at a deer missed reloaded and shot a second time again reloading and hurridly leaving to follow the deer .

or

2. A pair of doe deer came along and he shot twice knocking them both down and in his excitement he forgot to pick his brass up off the ground .

Strange when one handloads for something different or for something with hard to obtain brass . They never seem to let the brass hit the ground !
Whether I have a lever or bolt gun I normally cup my left hand around the gun so when I work the action I'll catch the empty !

Pepe Ray
12-27-2008, 08:57 PM
My point ,exactly!
Pepe Ray

I like the story 'bout the sneaky kids. Most realistic reason so far.

DLCTEX
12-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll put my money on having loaned the gun and ammo to a friend, who neglected to follow the owner's admonition to save the brass. It's hard to impress on non-reloaders how important that step can be.

Hardcast416taylor
12-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Reminds me of when I was helping teach a pretty lil gal to shoot. She and a friend were getting set for an African hunt trip. On my range she was careful to slowly ease the empty out of her bolt action when fired. I told her it was only a piece of brass, get a fresh round into the chamber and keep the game you shot at in sight and forget about that brass:brokenima Robert!

shotman
12-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Guys I would not have found the brass . He was most likely in a hurry .They were nickle and the sun hit them. I found the one that way other was near by , The week before there was 6in of snow. Was deer season. so I would guess two shots and off for chase. I dont know about that cal but a 338 mag would be hotter . But I guess this is a lever?

shotman
12-28-2008, 05:26 AM
well looking at the site they show a 358 in the 444 case but these are 338. and would guess have not been reloaded many times. There was about 4 feet between cases but with 6in of snow I may have lost them if i were in a hurry

44mag1
12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I lost some .358 brass this year cause of the snow, guess where Ill be when spring comes.

mroliver77
12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I am ashamed of a brother reloader that would leave brass like that! If'n it woulda been me you would have found the snow, dirt, leaves pretty disturbed, especially for a work intensive caliber! My nephew brought his buddy out to play one day, he is some kind of Border Patrol. The left a bunch of .40SW brass all over the ground. He said it is "free". Uncle Jay picked up all I could find and added to my collection. I have lots of brass that I dont have guns for but the scrounging habit is strong!
Jay