PDA

View Full Version : Need .462 boolits for Marlin 45-70

RG1911
03-09-2021, 10:20 PM
My Marlin's micro-groove bore slugged to .4595", so most cast and jacketed bullets sort of rattled their way on down. A gentleman here sent me some unsized boolits (and some soft lube) that measured .460"-.461". I was finally able to try them yesterday and while nothing to brag about, the last couple 5-shot groups at 75 yards did not require a yardstick to measure them. I am thinking that boolits sized to .461"-.462" would work well enough that I don't toss the rifle into the nearest tar pit.

I would *prefer* not to add yet another set of blocks to my collection. Is there a company that would provide projectiles sized to .462"? If not, which mold maker would be my best choice to make an oversized mold?

Also, for a micro-groove barrel, what hardness should be used -- 1-30 tin-lead, Lyman #2, linotype?

Thank you,
Richard

rockrat
03-10-2021, 12:04 AM
Accurate or Arsenal will make a mould to your required diameter

Yooper003
03-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Have you tried powder coating to add some size?it has worked for me. As to hardness I would use the softest boolit I could that did not lead barrel. PC would help there also.

FredBuddy
03-10-2021, 12:18 PM
I agree with Yooper.

Powder coat !!!

Elmer Fudd
03-10-2021, 12:50 PM
LBT will cut most any shape and size, too. Every one of Veral's moulds is a custom piece, built to your exact order specs. And he guarantees they will do what you need them to.

RG1911
03-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Thank you for all the recommendations.

I'll have to look into powder coating; I have no knowledge of it. But it seems that, if I wanted a .462" boolit, I would need to start with at least a .460" one.

Cheers,
Richard

JSnover
03-11-2021, 09:58 AM
If that rifle is the only 45-70 you cast for, why not try lapping the mold? I've done it with one of mine, if you only need another .001-.0015 it won't take too long to do.

GregLaROCHE
03-11-2021, 11:49 AM
If your mould is aluminum it should be easy to lap to a larger dia.
PC can be done in more than one coat too.

RG1911
03-11-2021, 04:19 PM
If that rifle is the only 45-70 you cast for, why not try lapping the mold? I've done it with one of mine, if you only need another .001-.0015 it won't take too long to do.

I don't have a mold yet. I had not planned on shooting the rifle a great deal and was just going to use jacketed bullets. The only reason I'm looking at casting for the rifle is that d--n oversize micro-groove bore. I can't afford to have the barrel replaced.

Cheers,
Richard

RG1911
03-11-2021, 04:21 PM
If your mould is aluminum it should be easy to lap to a larger dia.
PC can be done in more than one coat too.

I don't have a mold. I'd consider powder coating commercial cast since I can get those sized to .460". A coat (or two) could take them up to the diameter I want.

Cheers,
Richard

JSnover
03-12-2021, 10:33 AM
I don't have a mold yet. I had not planned on shooting the rifle a great deal and was just going to use jacketed bullets. The only reason I'm looking at casting for the rifle is that d--n oversize micro-groove bore. I can't afford to have the barrel replaced.

Cheers,
Richard
That's understandable. I had mine made by Mountain Molds but I believe the owner retired. Accurate should be able to help http://accuratemolds.com/order.php

PositiveCaster
03-13-2021, 05:34 PM
....I would *prefer* not to add yet another set of blocks to my collection. Is there a company that would provide projectiles sized to .462"? If not, which mold maker would be my best choice to make an oversized mold?...

Montana Bullet Works and Beartooth Bullets can both supply some lever action bullets in .460” size. They are the only ones I have experience with. Finding larger diameters will be very tough, PC application may work best.

Normally, harder gas-checked bullets work best in MG barrels if you are looking for higher velocities.

Yooper003
03-14-2021, 03:50 PM
The problem I had with buying boolits to PC was that no one wanted to sell me raw boolits. It seemed that they all sized their boolits with a lube sizer.