PDA

View Full Version : Cast comparison factory vs mine

8shot
03-09-2021, 04:34 PM
Just getting started casting (Lyman Mag 25 furnace, MP brass dies, commercial alloy)

Bullets on right (red lube) are factory cast..they have more of a matte finish, bullets on left are my first run (blue lube) shiny surface.

Casting at 750 degrees, MP 4 cavity brass mold, preheated mold, bullets on left aren't filling mold 100% of the time and as mentioned have a shiny finish.

The brass bullet mold casts the same bullet as the factory bullets.

Not only are my bullets shiny and not filling the mold regularly, the top punch apprears to be flattening the HP mouth some. Might need to try another top punch.

What do I need to adjust to get that matte finish (temperature?)

Thanks

bangerjim
03-09-2021, 04:37 PM
Most people want shiny finish! I take any finish I can get, as long as the boolits have no inclusions or voids!

We are not running a photogenic contest here-------just good boolits.

Load 'em and shoot 'em.

banger

8shot
03-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Most people want shiny finish! I take any finish I can get, as long as the boolits have no inclusions or voids!

We are not running a photogenic contest here-------just good boolits.

Load 'em and shoot 'em.

banger

The bullets are very close to what I expect just getting the occasional void....that's where I could use some help.

tazman
03-09-2021, 05:11 PM
In order to get that matte finish(frosty)look you need to have your temperature higher. Your boolits will tell you when they are there. You will begin to see a frosty look to the boolits immediately after they drop from the mold.
Factory casters run temps hotter to insure complete fillout and fewer rejects.

To help with the flattening the tip issue. Two possible solutions.
1- size and lube them as quickly as you can after casting. Preferably within 24 hours or less before the boolits harden and make things more difficult.
2-Run them through a push through sizer(Lee or NOE) before running them through the lubrisizer. This takes the strain off the lubrisizer.

Depending on how much oversize the boolits drop from the mold, I will nearly always run mine through a push through sizer first.
Often, I can't get the sizing done immediately and, since I water quench from the mold, the boolits will harden very quickly to the point it becomes very difficult to size a boolit sufficiently with just the lubrisizer.

gwpercle
03-09-2021, 05:27 PM
For matte finish the mould / alloy needs just a little more heat ... but not a lot more .
I like to cast them right at the matte (frosted) finish ... the heat ensures proper fill out and brass moulds like to run on the warm side .
What you have looks very good for starters ... Keep On Keeping On !
Gary

8shot
03-09-2021, 05:29 PM
Thanks..didn't mentioned ..but they were water quenched and lube/sized within an hour or so. Next run I'll turn up the heat some.

8shot
03-09-2021, 05:32 PM
My goal is to match the accuracy of the factory cast bullets which are shooting 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards with my revolver. (BTW goal is match accuracy).

fredj338
03-10-2021, 03:51 PM
More heat. All comm casters will be sizing nose down so no HP damage. It is how I size all my bullets too.

gwpercle
03-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Thanks..didn't mentioned ..but they were water quenched and lube/sized within an hour or so. Next run I'll turn up the heat some.

You don't have to water quench them. When you do that they harden and will not age harden much if at all afterwards . Also sizing the had water quenched boolit will be harder to do and when you cold work the lead surface ... you soften it ... now you're back to air cooled hardness or less .
After 50+ years of casting my recommendation is drop them on a soft towel , air cool them , size them soon after casting and let them age harden for a couple weeks . Not mandatory... I've cast , let cool , sized and loaded and they shoot just fine at normal handgun velocities .
My alloy for all handgun boolits is 50-50 COWW and soft scrap lead .
Boolits don't need to be that hard ... they do need to fit the bore .
Gary

Targa
03-10-2021, 05:56 PM
I don’t have anything to add other than those are some good looking bullets you cast and not only for someone just starting but I think most of us would be happy with those.

Ok ok, if a critique had to be made you’re missing some lube in parts of the grooves of a few of them...:mrgreen:

8shot
03-10-2021, 06:41 PM
OK turned up the heat and opened up the lead flow...have a feeling the alloy needed a little more velocity. Anyway...they are where I want them. Just shaped the top punch to fit the bullet better....probably will lube/size tomorrow. Since these are of a better cast..I'll work in the lube fully.

Winger Ed.
03-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Looks like you're there.
Now,,,, you are qualified to teach this class.:bigsmyl2:

I don't know how long it takes for the alloyed metals to stratify, and will cause the weights to vary;
but I'm not bashful about stirring to be sure the weights stay consistent.

Land Owner
03-12-2021, 05:35 AM
That's a heap of "good looking" boolits. "Shinyness" and "frostyness" though are not what get it done - except to make us feel good about our effort. It is TERMINAL PERFORMANCE and shot placement that get it done. How do they shoot? I hope you never have to find out about terminal performance, unless you hunt with them, and in that - Good Hunting!

bluebird66
03-12-2021, 05:33 PM
Those are some mighty fine looking bullets!

8shot
03-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys...been casting various bullets and they all look super. I need the weather to melt some snow so I can get out to my range. Have them loaded with W231...can't wait to see what 50 yard groups I get. Now I'm in the market for a Star sizer so I can load and size them face down to avoid deforming the hollow point shape.