PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable jacket tolerances

stephenbh
03-09-2021, 02:55 PM
Hello,
I'm new to the web site and new to bullet swaging. I'm hoping that someone might give me some perspective on reasonable jacket tolerance expectations. I recently purchased 45 caliber copper jackets with both .030" and .035' wall thicknesses. I QC'd the product with a ball micrometer, measuring at different points on the circumference, both at the throat and midway thru the length.
On both wall thickness jackets I measured a + - .004" - .005" variance. Does this seem excessive or reasonable? Will the process of swaging the cores to the jackets mitigate some of these variances? Thank you all for your input.
Stephenbh

deltaenterprizes
03-09-2021, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Is this for pistol or rifle bullets?
I am no expert but it does seem like a lot of variation and I don’t think seating the cores will mitigate the tolerances.
What distance do you plan to to plan to shoot the bullets?

stephenbh
03-10-2021, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. These jackets / bullets are intended to check accuracy loads for a 460 S & W rifle. Shot at 100 yards or more. Any given jacket has variations of up to .010" from one side to another at varying lengths of the case.

M-Tecs
03-10-2021, 12:54 AM
https://bergerbullets.com/products/j4-precision-jackets/
Mass produced bullet manufactures claim that they can make bullet jackets that measure .0003 or less variation in wall thickness,

Yours are 30 times that.

RonIa
03-10-2021, 08:49 AM
.0001 or .0002 for match grade rifle jackets but handgun jackets I would think .0004 or less
Ron

JRLesan
03-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Curious to know if these were 'home made' jackets or from a commercial source. Even cartridge cases (which are oft times used for jackets these days) have no where near those wall variations. I would not myself, expect much in the way of accuracy from those jackets or cartridge case jackets but only testing will prove or disprove casual opinions...

stephenbh
03-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for responding,
"A commercial source"? Well I did purchase them.
I will take it from here. I appreciate the perspective and information.
Stephen